Sponsored

Tunes and smog, anyone had to get one yet?

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Per Ca DMV (last bullet point)
Your vehicle does not need a smog inspection if your:

• Gasoline-powered vehicle is a 1975 year model or older (This includes motorcycles and trailers.)
  • Diesel-powered vehicle is a 1997 and older year model OR with a Gross Vehicle Weight of more than 14,000 pounds.
  • Powered by natural gas and weighs more than 14,000 pounds.
  • An electric vehicle.
  • Gasoline-powered and less than eight model-years old.
Sweet!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
Per Ca DMV (last bullet point)
Your vehicle does not need a smog inspection if your:

• Gasoline-powered vehicle is a 1975 year model or older (This includes motorcycles and trailers.)
  • Diesel-powered vehicle is a 1997 and older year model OR with a Gross Vehicle Weight of more than 14,000 pounds.
  • Powered by natural gas and weighs more than 14,000 pounds.
  • An electric vehicle.
  • Gasoline-powered and less than eight model-years old.
The problem I run into and the reason why smog is a big deal for me is buying and selling used cars private party. Because banks and credit unions require smog before financing. I think their requirements are 4 years or newer no smog.

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
The problem I run into and the reason why smog is a big deal for me is buying and selling used cars private party. Because banks and credit unions require smog before financing. I think their requirements are 4 years or newer no smog.
What banks are you using? I've never heard that before and have never experienced it with any lender. You are you're not thinking of the DMV requirement for the seller to smog a car before selling? I believe that's covered over the 8 year exemption as well.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
What banks are you using? I've never heard that before and have never experienced it with any lender. You are you're not thinking of the DMV requirement for the seller to smog a car before selling? I believe that's covered over the 8 year exemption as well.
Lately with the few credit unions I get financed through. For example the mustang I just bought is a 2015. They would not fund the loan until the private party seller got it smogged. I was told it's so the buyer isn't stuck with a vehicle loan on a car they can't register.

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Lately with the few credit unions I get financed through. For example the mustang I just bought is a 2015. They would not fund the loan until the private party seller got it smogged. I was told it's so the buyer isn't stuck with a vehicle loan on a car they can't register.
Interesting. I'm sure if you pushed the issue and showed them the DMV guidelines, the underwriter would probably waive that condition, but still a pain in the butt that you shouldn't have to worry about. Pretty wild.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. I'm sure if you pushed the issue and showed them the DMV guidelines, the underwriter would probably waive that condition, but still a pain in the butt that you shouldn't have to worry about. Pretty wild.
Yeah I agree but credit unions have the lowest rates! Lol. So just in case I sell this car I want to keep it all Carb compliant.

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Yeah I agree but credit unions have the lowest rates! Lol. So just in case I sell this car I want to keep it all Carb compliant.
For sure, both of my recent loans have been through my credit union. Just be sure to do reasonably easy reversible mods and you're all good 👍🙂

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

If its a private party sale it requires a smog if the car is older than 4 yrs. old in Cali.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
No this isn't correct. Cali cars only have to be smogged on the 8th year after new. Then 2yrs after that. Its true there is no sniffer test anymore. That being said if you are running an aftermarket tune you will want to return to the OEM tune if that tune does not have a EO#. When you get smogged now the smog operator checks the vehicle Calibration Verification Number to see if an aftermarket tune has been installed. Ask me how I know...I just went through this with my 2013 M3 when I sold it. Even though my tune allowed all readiness I still had to reinstall the OEM tune to pass. Cars before 2013 may not have this problem as the CVM isn't normally used before then.

So what if I get my '18 GT tuned by a reputable tuner in here in SoCal and the stock tune is stored on the SCT device and I flash the stock tune back to the car before getting smogged? Still having the stock '18 intake and no other mods? Will it pass?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
So what if I get my '18 GT tuned by a reputable tuner in here in SoCal and the stock tune is stored on the SCT device and I flash the stock tune back to the car before getting smogged? Still having the stock '18 intake and no other mods? Will it pass?
Yes it will pass.

Sponsored

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
All of this is why I bought the "50-state legal" SC kit with the magical EO#. Here in sunny Kalifornia, it is tough. Luckily my other cars are either too old for smog [70 Torino] or go on the rollers [87 Regal Turbo].

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
All of this is why I bought the "50-state legal" SC kit with the magical EO#. Here in sunny Kalifornia, it is tough. Luckily my other cars are either too old for smog [70 Torino] or go on the rollers [87 Regal Turbo].
I bought a CARB legal supercharger kit for my Corvette and still went through hell with the state ref lol. It's amazing how nit picky, ridiculous, and illogical the system is here.
Sponsored