Sponsored

Tunes and NY Inspections

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure all of the emissions monitors (8 monitors I believe) have to be COMPLETE/READY in order to pass the OBDII inspection. Every time you swap tunes, disconnect the battery, etc., these monitors become reset.

In order for them all to read COMPLETE/READY after becoming reset, you have to complete multiple drive cycles.

Has anyone here passed NYS inspection in 2015 with headers/high flow cats?
Sponsored

BCeagle08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB PP 6MT Navi 401A.
If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure all of the emissions monitors (8 monitors I believe) have to be COMPLETE/READY in order to pass the OBDII inspection. Every time you swap tunes, disconnect the battery, etc., these monitors become reset.

In order for them all to read COMPLETE/READY after becoming reset, you have to complete multiple drive cycles.

Has anyone here passed NYS inspection in 2015 with headers/high flow cats?
Right. You need to do a readiness cycle after you flash or tune, but it's not that many miles to do that. A few hundred at most.

I have had people claim they can tune a high flow cat long tubed car to pass emissions. I have had others claims it's too hard. Don't have any first hand experience. Sorry!

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Right. You need to do a readiness cycle after you flash or tune, but it's not that many miles to do that. A few hundred at most.

I have had people claim they can tune a high flow cat long tubed car to pass emissions. I have had others claims it's too hard. Don't have any first hand experience. Sorry!
How do the inspections work for a new car? Since mine is obiviously a 2015, will my next 2016 inspection be just a safety inspection, or an OBDII as well?

BCeagle08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do the inspections work for a new car? Since mine is obiviously a 2015, will my next 2016 inspection be just a safety inspection, or an OBDII as well?
They plug your car into the computer through OBDII every single time they do an inspection. It records the miles for DMV and checks all the computer emissions parameters. If it's a newer car it's some sort of "light" emissions tests but it's still plugged into the computer and you won't pass if your rear O2 sensors are turned off for off road long tubes.

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
ok, i live on long island, my previous car was a wrx, full bolt ons, catless downpipe, external gate, passed inspection every time at the DEALER no less. as far as i know, as long as there is no check engine light, and brakes/lights/tires ext are good you will pass everytime. i had headers on my maxima and they removed both precats, ran an o2 sim, no check engine light, passed everytime. so unless other parts on ny do visuals, you may have an issue, but just a cai and tune, you have zero worries

This was happening on most mustangs and Ford Lightnings. I don't know about other makes or modles

Just to clear this thread up - you will not fail inspection because of a steeda CAI and tune. If you do, tell Steeda and they will fix your tune. There is zero reason to fail an inspection because of a tune unless you are disabling O2 sensors, making it so the testing machine can't read the ECU, or something of that nature.
If Steeda sends there tunes out with the Monitors all turned off you will absolutely fail. I don't know how Steeda sets there tunes. I have never used them.

I am telling you this from first hand experience and what happened with my Lightning. I have all emission equipment on my truck. Just change to high flow cats. Truck failed because of the tune. Truck will only pass on stock tune.

Did you read about the Opus stuff I posted. Opus Inspection awarded US Patent for OBD Fraud Detection System. Trust me they can tell that a car has a tune in it.

Sponsored

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
No worries, when you bring the car there as long as there's no check engine light you will pass the test. Doesn't matter if the cars tuned if it's currently not throwing codes then it won't fail. Just keep cats if you decide to do long tube headers

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
They plug your car into the computer through OBDII every single time they do an inspection. It records the miles for DMV and checks all the computer emissions parameters. If it's a newer car it's some sort of "light" emissions tests but it's still plugged into the computer and you won't pass if your rear O2 sensors are turned off for off road long tubes.
So is there some sort of work around tune for this? Or as someone else mentioned earlier, will it just be an automatic fail/connection error because of an aftermarket tune?

I just don't understand how people are passing with catless downpipes, catless headers, etc. How are they doing this? :frusty:

BCeagle08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So is there some sort of work around tune for this? Or as someone else mentioned earlier, will it just be an automatic fail/connection error because of an aftermarket tune?

I just don't understand how people are passing with catless downpipes, catless headers, etc. How are they doing this? :frusty:
As far as I know, on this car, in New York you cannot pass inspection with catless long tube headers. To run catless headers you need to disable the rear 02 sensor so you don't get a check engine light 24/7. This however, puts those two sensors in "not ready" mode which will stop you from passing an emissions test. High flow cats you can pass with depending on what high flow cats and tune you get, but it's not 100% that your tuner will be able to get the car to operate without throwing a code.

Other cars have tricks that allow you to pass emissions. For instance, an N54 BMW engine (think 2009 335i) can pass with an offroad downpipe because a company makes a special module which tricks your ecu into thinking the rear o2 sensors are not disabled. When you run an emissions test, the computer doesn't fail you because the sensors aren't reading as disabled, even though they are.

To my knowledge, no one has anything like this for our car at the moment. Could just be the computer architecture that prevents it. I might be wrong; however, and if I am, the thing you want to look out for is a "spoofer" or something that mimics what your engine would read if you had cats and enabled rear o2 sensors.

People are able to pass with catless headers in other states because they don't have the same emissions testing as New York. Some places will let you pass with sensors that aren't in ready mode. Some states don't even do OBDII testing.

As for simple tunes like a CAI and a tune. You will pass no problem at all because none of the emissions sensors are modified or disabled. If you fail, call your tuner and tell him to fix his fucking tune because there's no excuse for not passing with just a CAI tune (unless you haven't gone through the emissions readiness cycle, which is your own fault).

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
2015 wont have to go through Emission until 2017. the first 2 years Safety only I can Tell you I have the whipple tune and all my monitors set no problem. You need all but 1 to pass Emissions

Sponsored

Skatz5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Vader Special

the first 2 years of a new vehicle is safety only, no plug or emissions testing.

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
another way to pass emissions is if you get mini cats on the o2 sensors, they work all the time for me. on a 2015 mustang gt with no cats.
Sponsored