6g4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium, Black
Hi all,

Im about to install the Steeda CAI intake and tune. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the intake and how it does during inspections in NY -- with and without restrictor in place (aka stock tune vs tuned).

Also, in terms of flashing the ECU-- if a dealer or mech flashes the ECU and reverts back to stock, cant the tune just be reinstalled?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
6g4me

6g4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
bumpity

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (traded) / 16 Acura MDX
Yes you can always reinstall a tune when or if it's replaced with stock tune. You can switch back and forth as well.

A tune won't harm or fail a car during inspection, usually it's the emission test that fails and that's caused by removing catalytic converter. The only way to do that for our car is if you get off-road headers.

BCeagle08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB PP 6MT Navi 401A.
Your car will only fail a normal tune if you flash it too close to your inspection date and it doesn't have a chance to go through it's emission readiness tests. This also happens if you reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. Same thing. A few days and a few hundred miles of mixed driving is enough to go through all the readiness tests, usually.

You will, however, fail an emissions test if you have off road headers and your tune disables the rear O2 sensors. The computer won't pass a car that has any sensors disabled or in a "not ready" state. I don't know of any "tricks" on these cars to pass with disabled O2 sensors and off road headers in New York.

Last edited:

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yes you can always reinstall a tune when or if it's replaced with stock tune. You can switch back and forth as well.

A tune won't harm or fail a car during inspection, usually it's the emission test that fails and that's caused by removing catalytic converter. The only way to do that for our car is if you get off-road headers.

Your wrong a tune will absolutely fail NY state emissions. A new company called Opus took over the contract. On March 2, 2013 Opus Inspection signed an exclusive contract with the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. The contract will continue for a period of seven years from the date the NYVIP system is deemed to be operational and may be extended by the DMV for up to two additional years.

Now here is where this gets fucked up. I went through this with my 2000 SVT Lightning which i couldn't get to pass emissions for 3 months. My friends had cars that couldn't pass. One guy had to register his car in Florida to get around what I'm about to show you guys. Just a little info on lightning it's got a couple of bolt ons and high flow cats with a cat back. The Tune is the major issue. Once i switched back to my stock tune the truck passed emissions with no problem. High flow cats and all the other mods i had to it.

http://opusinspection.com/innovations/obd-tamper-terminator/
OBD Tamper Terminator™ the latest in fraud detection

Posted January, 2012

Opus Inspection has obtained a*provisional patent for the*OBD Tamper*Terminator™, the latest innovation for fraud detection that for the first time in the I/M industry focuses on fraud caused by motorists.

Since the deployment of Onboard Diagnostic (OBD) systems on vehicles in 1996, enterprising performance enthusiasts have been looking for ways to “improve” performance of their vehicles.* One way to achieve a performance improvement is by removing the catalytic*converter.* In addition to catalyst removal, an oxygen sensor simulator is typically installed to send a false signal to the electronic control unit (ECU) that is within the expected range, which avoids having the MIL illuminate.

Another way to achieve performance improvement is by installing performance chips in a vehicle’s ECU*in order to pass an emission inspection. This vehicle tampering method*uses the*software contained*in the performance chips to permanently set OBD test results therby achieving a passing emission inspection result.

Any such tampering with emission control devices is considered a federal offense.

For the first time in the I/M industry, Opus Inspection*is now addressing this issue head-on.* We are authorized by U.S. EPA to conduct research using tampered vehicles and establish its positive impact on I/M programs and applicability with the MOVES model as it relates to emissions benefit credits.

Implementing this reliable and easily deployed method for detecting OBD tampering provides enforcement agencies with a powerful way to identify such fraud and, as a result, increase emission reduction benefits.* The full extent of performance ECU and catalyst tampering is not known today.* Anecdotal information and the proliferation of websites selling parts and providing information on this type of tampering indicate that it is done by a significant number of motorists, in particular among certain target groups.

The OBD Tamper Terminator is a system that works by interrogating the vehicle’s ECU with our patent-pending method.* Based on analysis of the ECU interrogation, the system can distinguish vehicles that have been tampered from those that have not.

Opus Inspection’s*uVID includes complete server side support for this innovative product.

Sponsored

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hi all,

Im about to install the Steeda CAI intake and tune. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the intake and how it does during inspections in NY -- with and without restrictor in place (aka stock tune vs tuned).

Also, in terms of flashing the ECU-- if a dealer or mech flashes the ECU and reverts back to stock, cant the tune just be reinstalled?

Thanks!
What I can tell you is don't be afraid of the information I posted. If your not going to go crazy with the car on mods. Then do the C.A.I. and tune. A few weeks before you need to get a inspection just put the stock tune in. I found this out on my Lightning. All I have to do is switch back to the stock tune and I'm good now.

Unfortunately one of my friends has a 2009 Mustang that he went crazy on. Completely different motor huge K.B. blower on the car E85. Well he can't just switch back to a stock tune and he was Lund as his tuner and was never able to get the car to pass. So He had to register the car in Florida. A couple of other people I know had to do the same thing. Thankfully the Race car/street car is a 91 and all they do is a "visual" inspection. Last time I brought the car in the inspection guy asked me if I was serious with getting it inspected.

Just some other people who been having issues to. Haven't seen anything post this year. So maybe things were figured out.

don't know why it is doing this ******* but this this should be put in that area svtperformance .com

http://www.*******************/forums/showthread.php?1012235-New-York-State-inspection-help[/url]!

http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forums/has-failed-nys-inspection-2014-a-t36642.html

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Wow good to know. Thank for the detailed information. I didn't know half of the stuff you just mentioned. So what you're saying is all tuned cars will fail inspection.

OP
OP
6g4me

6g4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I'm having a tiny issue where my CAI tune is now causing my check engine light to come on. I've contacted Steeda, and Im sure theyll get back to me b/c theyre pretty dope, but any of you yall wanna chime in?

OP
OP
6g4me

6g4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I'm having a tiny issue where my CAI tune is now causing my check engine light to come on. I've contacted Steeda, and Im sure theyll get back to me b/c theyre pretty dope, but any of you yall wanna chime in?
nvm fully resolved!

Team Steeda...man yall are too good.

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wow good to know. Thank for the detailed information. I didn't know half of the stuff you just mentioned. So what you're saying is all tuned cars will fail inspection.

Sorry this is going to be a little long and wordy

When they switched over systems this became a huge problem for a lot of people including myself. Just like others my truck always passed with a tune in it. Never had any issues. After this happened i started doing research into why me and others were getting a no communication error which was not letting many people pass. The first year this happened many of us were able to find a loop hole. How you got around this was to go to an inspection station plug the vehicle into the inspection machine and come up with the no communication error. Then call a number in Albany NY and talk to the head inspection people. They would do something on there end and tell you to wait 20 minutes then run the test again. Next thing you know the machine is spitting out a new sticker. But the problem became that so many people started doing this and they became aware in Albany and closed the loop hole. But i got my Lightning inspected that way. So after that i looked into more on why this was happening.

I bought myself a scanner that can tell you if the sensors or monitors are on or off. So once i pluged it in i noticed that all my Sensors/monitors were off/not ready. I called up my tunner and i asked him to send me a new tune with all the stuff turned on. I drove around for awhile but for whatever reason the sensors would never ready. Still not sure why to this day they won't ready. Not sure if is still something in the tune or something else. But once i put my stock tune back in and gingerly drove the truck around i started to get things to ready. As soon as i had enough things ready i went to get a inspection and passed no problem.

I'll be honest i haven't seen any threads for 2015 inspection problems. So maybe the tuners have adjusted there tunes now for states requiring inspections or people just aren't posting them. We won't see it on this site probably until these cars are 3 years old. I think and not 100% sure but the first 2 years of a new car are just safety inspection at least in NY

Sponsored

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
ok, i live on long island, my previous car was a wrx, full bolt ons, catless downpipe, external gate, passed inspection every time at the DEALER no less. as far as i know, as long as there is no check engine light, and brakes/lights/tires ext are good you will pass everytime. i had headers on my maxima and they removed both precats, ran an o2 sim, no check engine light, passed everytime. so unless other parts on ny do visuals, you may have an issue, but just a cai and tune, you have zero worries

BCeagle08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB PP 6MT Navi 401A.
Just to clear this thread up - you will not fail inspection because of a steeda CAI and tune. If you do, tell Steeda and they will fix your tune. There is zero reason to fail an inspection because of a tune unless you are disabling O2 sensors, making it so the testing machine can't read the ECU, or something of that nature.

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
There are conflicting opinion floating around here.

So based on the 3rd response, all new equipment is now being used and any tune provided through OBD sensor will be picked up? I gather this means all tune will be red flagged fail inspection? Although I've never heard of such thing but not sure what to believe here.

To my understanding, like some of you said already, unless you have CEL or high smog coming out of your rear end due to lack of cats- you're not going to fail inspection.

Anyone with CAI and tune want to chime in on whether you had issues during inspection test?
Sponsored