Not open for further replies.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Having seen what I have posted happen, First hand, as in, if you want funding/grants, give us studies that slant this way, or no funds/grants.
We'll agree to disagree.
Those that would not play ball, don't work in the science field. Hard pill to swallow after the huge college cost, but some put morals before the almighty dollar.
I'm glad I don't live in your world
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
There is valid to many of the points made here. The fact is that we do not know the future. That aircraft flies is not science, it is physics. Science is taking known facts and postulating consequences or results to fit the information. I dealt with the pro and cons of science for decades. It is not the science, but the human use of the data. As an example, the EPA needed to set regulatory standards for a chemical. Lacking any quality research, and a deadline from Congress, they used a discredited report from China to set the standards. Not only that, it was an airborne contaminant and the research was used to set a water standard. Look at the reports from environmental groups. Their data is hand picked to promote their goals. They refuse to compromise, nor will they consider the adverse effect of their goals. The reason is, they have a core audience and everything that would solve the issue would also reduce their donations. We know that mankind is adversely affecting the world, but going to too much extremes will effect economies and lifestyles. We should make reasonable efforts, but realize that right now, the biggest danger is the ocean pollution and fish habitats being destroyed by countries like China poaching in territorial waters of other nations.
Not picking on you but ...

Physics is a branch of science.

Aeronautics is the science of flight

Politicians (and others) may cherry pick the science they want to satisfy their agenda, but meanwhile the rest of the world (99%) just gets on with scientific progress. Don't confuse the two.

The 'biggest danger' is actually the biggest danger. Many (especially politicians or those with an agenda) want to have a magic bullet problem / solution which defers attention from the myriad problems we face, or ones they don't want to address, when those who really understand know that real progress comes through incremental (marginal) gains. This is especially public in sport's science, but occurs in every area of research and development. Loss of fishing habitats, atmospheric pollution, global climatic change, ocean sea levels, nuclear proliferation, drought, floods, malaria and many more: All are the 'biggest danger' for somebody and many are interlinked with changes in one influencing another, but the true progress comes in a joined up world

physics | Definition, Branches, & Importance | Britannica

Vocabulary (nasa.gov)

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
There comes a time when these "companies" have to move on. When so many of the cars have tunes and people are buying less and less. They have to move on to other platforms to keep the lights on. I have had it happen on my type r. after a year or so just about everyone with one had a tune whats a tuner to do at that point? they drop development and move on to another car. same thing with my supra. so few were made and just about everyone who has a supra has a tune. so what is the tuner to do sit weeks and wait for one guy to buy a tune. nope they drop the tune and development and move on to another car. Im sure it is the same with the Mustang.
Agree - it is a small niche business area with a very narrow product range. I have a friend who part owns a company that fits superchargers to Aston Martin's old Vantage. It was a great idea for a while, but is now dead in the water as AM don't make the car any more and the new Vantage already has a turbocharger. There will always be niches to exploit, but just different ones.

Mind you I don't see much chance of 'tuning' a PHEV or EV

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Agree - it is a small niche business area with a very narrow product range. I have a friend who part owns a company that fits superchargers to Aston Martin's old Vantage. It was a great idea for a while, but is now dead in the water as AM don't make the car any more and the new Vantage already has a turbocharger. There will always be niches to exploit, but just different ones.

Mind you I don't see much chance of 'tuning' a PHEV or EV
I think there will be, it will just look very different. There is a lot of potential flexibility in battery and motor controllers that could be tweaked for different performance outcomes. At a very basic level the trade space looks like (higher voltage = more power + more heat = reduced life). This can be offset with different controller (and wiring) hardware/materials. So once EV are more widely popular, I can see some "tunes" that trade off lifetime/reliability for performance by playing on manufacturer conservatism and power packs that swap out key hardware to enable even more performance without the reliability impact.

Not too different from what we have today.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I think there will be, it will just look very different. There is a lot of potential flexibility in battery and motor controllers that could be tweaked for different performance outcomes. At a very basic level the trade space looks like (higher voltage = more power + more heat = reduced life). This can be offset with different controller (and wiring) hardware/materials. So once EV are more widely popular, I can see some "tunes" that trade off lifetime/reliability for performance by playing on manufacturer conservatism and power packs that swap out key hardware to enable even more performance without the reliability impact.

Not too different from what we have today.
Could well be - but will always be a niche and companies will come and go overnight!

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
The 'biggest danger' is actually the biggest danger. Many (especially politicians or those with an agenda) want to have a magic bullet problem / solution which defers attention from the myriad problems we face, or ones they don't want to address, when those who really understand know that real progress comes through incremental (marginal) gains. This is especially public in sport's science, but occurs in every area of research and development. Loss of fishing habitats, atmospheric pollution, global climatic change, ocean sea levels, nuclear proliferation, drought, floods, malaria and many more: All are the 'biggest danger' for somebody and many are interlinked with changes in one influencing another, but the true progress comes in a joined up world
True malevolence always begins as a wish to accomplish some laudable goal. 'Bad' people, say, a serial killer for example, will always have a limited appetite for death, even if it dominates their thinking. The genesis of every major atrocity, particularly over the last 100 years or so, is motivated by the desire to bring forth planetary utopia. The loss in life during this process is seen as regrettable, but necessary. Stalin had no qualms cracking eggs for his omelet, nor did Mao. In terms of climate change reform, these two should be praised as bold pioneers. Who else can claim to have reduced CO2 emitters at such a rate?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
True malevolence always begins as a wish to accomplish some laudable goal. 'Bad' people, say, a serial killer for example, will always have a limited appetite for death, even if it dominates their thinking. The genesis of every major atrocity, particularly over the last 100 years or so, is motivated by the desire to bring forth planetary utopia. The loss in life during this process is seen as regrettable, but necessary. Stalin had no qualms cracking eggs for his omelet, nor did Mao. In terms of climate change reform, these two should be praised as bold pioneers. Who else can claim to have reduced CO2 emitters at such a rate?
Wow - we have gone from engine tuners to serial killers - that must be an all time record for thread drift.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Wow - we have gone from engine tuners to serial killers - that must be an all time record for thread drift.
What a twat-waffle.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Dunno . . . but I suspect some German Hit-man would be a contender . . .

Norm

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Dunno . . . but I suspect some German Hit-man would be a contender . . .

Norm
He's definitely in the running, but I saw no need to invoke Godwin when these 2 produced numbers which were roughly an order of magnitude greater. Pol Pot should get a mention as well.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
You do take yourself a bit seriously! I'll leave you to your Maoist thoughts :cwl:
As long as you leave, I don't really give a toss one way or another how you go about doing it.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Ask yourself why the US & Canada are selling carbon credits to China & India. I did ask that the other day when our 'carbon tax' kicked in and the price of gas jumped 12 cents / liter.
It's all about the money, nothing else. Bought and Paid for Politicians.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.