Sponsored

tuner solution for leased ecoboost with kn with airaid intake pipe and cat back?

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Mustang GT, 2017 Lexus GX460
Vehicle Showcase
Got a leased ecoboost, the lease will be over 2021 Sep. Planning to (actually) buy one after the lease. Got a few bolt on mods and want a bit more power. Since there's this corona thing, I'm (finally) willing to do some research here. Any good suggestions for my case? Thanks!
Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
I’d make sure the dealership you leased from didn’t put anything funny in the fine print about tuning before you proceed forward. If not, I’d look into a remote tuner using a SCT. There’s several good companies such as Lund, VMP, PBD.

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’d make sure the dealership you leased from didn’t put anything funny in the fine print about tuning before you proceed forward. If not, I’d look into a remote tuner using a SCT. There’s several good companies such as Lund, VMP, PBD.
Ok, that's very true. I only searched online and they said as long it's blot-on, and if I can manage to return the car back to stock set up it will be fine, well, better be safe than sorry. Say, the remote tuner, if I get a new ecoboost next year and I can still run the same tune on it with out extra cost?

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
saw JMS boost max on AM, what do you think of that? It's a booster chip that add 5 psi of boost.
Sounds very promising but maybe it's just too good to be true?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
saw JMS boost max on AM, what do you think of that? It's a booster chip that add 5 psi of boost.
Sounds very promising but maybe it's just too good to be true?
That's mainly snake oil, it just adjusts the throttle mapping to make it more aggressive giving the perception of speed but your car isn't actually any faster. It does not add any boost.

Also if you're leasing the car and buying another in a year, I would not bother tuning this one as all tunes are locked to a VIN, so you'll have to buy a whole new one when you buy a different car.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's mainly snake oil, it just adjusts the throttle mapping to make it more aggressive giving the perception of speed but your car isn't actually any faster. It does not add any boost.

Also if you're leasing the car and buying another in a year, I would not bother tuning this one as all tunes are locked to a VIN, so you'll have to buy a whole new one when you buy a different car.
Oh,,, I see. Then maybe a inter cooler will be a good decision over a tuner, heard a lot of guys saying that.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Oh,,, I see. Then maybe a inter cooler will be a good decision over a tuner, heard a lot of guys saying that.
An intercooler is usually a good idea if you're modded and/or tuned to take advantage of the cooler running temps.

Without adding boost or timing through a tune, you won't see the full benefit of an intercooler unless you use the car for road racing where you would benefit from cooler temps and not losing power over the span of a long session.

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
If you're not running any higher HP or Boost than stock, an intercooler would also be a waste, in my opinion.

If the car is leased, I, personally, wouldn't look into any tuning unless you get it in writing that the leaser is OK with you altering the computer.

Even if you return it to stock at the end, every flash you make will show in the history and it might come back to bite you when you go to return it.

Also, like @EFI stated, all your tunes are locked to the car's VIN.

My biggest question is, why are you doing this work on a car you don't intend on keeping? Why not just finance and pay to own so you can do whatever you want with it as opposed to leasing a car and buying a brand new car in the end?

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you're not running any higher HP or Boost than stock, an intercooler would also be a waste, in my opinion.

If the car is leased, I, personally, wouldn't look into any tuning unless you get it in writing that the leaser is OK with you altering the computer.

Even if you return it to stock at the end, every flash you make will show in the history and it might come back to bite you when you go to return it.

Also, like @EFI stated, all your tunes are locked to the car's VIN.

My biggest question is, why are you doing this work on a car you don't intend on keeping? Why not just finance and pay to own so you can do whatever you want with it as opposed to leasing a car and buying a brand new car in the end?
Cause, uhm, mama crashed it twice... cough cough. (though only once is her fault.)

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Man, glad I asked, thanks a lot.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Guess I'll wait til the lease is done...Man I was so set on this baby, even put a catch can on it, but things happens...:crying:

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
Cause, uhm, mama crashed it twice... cough cough. (though only once is her fault.)
Oof. Yikes my friend :)

Well on one hand, if you get all the bolts-on, you can obviously take them off and transfer them to the new vehicle when that time comes but the other thing to keep in mind is that there's no guarantee you'll be able to use them on the 2021 model. It's been 3 years and there have been rumors of another slight refresh of the s550 platform on the horizon.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
All of those tuners specialize in the gt not Ecoboost. While I would recommend you don't tune your leased car. If you are going to then stick with a Cobb device and either pd tuning, tune+ or stratified

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oof. Yikes my friend :)

Well on one hand, if you get all the bolts-on, you can obviously take them off and transfer them to the new vehicle when that time comes but the other thing to keep in mind is that there's no guarantee you'll be able to use them on the 2021 model. It's been 3 years and there have been rumors of another slight refresh of the s550 platform on the horizon.
Oh yeah, haven't thought about that. I guess I'll wait and see. Certainly hope there won't be much chassis change. Thanks man.

OP
OP
NickZ

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All of those tuners specialize in the gt not Ecoboost. While I would recommend you don't tune your leased car. If you are going to then stick with a Cobb device and either pd tuning, tune+ or stratified
Oh, do you personally run any tune on your 'Stang?
Sponsored