• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

TSB updated to add the typewriter tick on the 2024 models

thelostone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
Now it’s updated ..bringing it into the dealership won’t help ..they will do nothing
S650 Mustang TSB updated to add the typewriter tick on the 2024 models IMG_1206
Sponsored

Sf22giants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
It'd be cool if Ford could identify precisely what is causing the tick versus just stating that it's nothing to worry about.

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
It seems random, my 2015 had the tick my 2024 doesn't I'm at 5200 miles and 2 oil changes.

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
Ours just stated yesterday at 1100 mile after the first oil change

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
The direct injectors make a typewriter tick/noise.

it’s a 500HP NA engine…. She gonna make some sounds.

kenkroop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt a10 2024gt a10
The coyote has 8 cylinders ,4 cams, 32 valves, 16 fuel injectors,2 timing chains and a mechanical fuel pump for d.i. I think it might tick or rattle a bit.

Sf22giants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
I don't mind noise... I just want to know what is making the noise and why.

All of my Fox body Mustangs made a ton of noise from vibrations, rattling, etc. and I (eventually) knew what caused all of them. For example, the most common under-hood noise during idle, for many Fox's, was the lifters/rockers. Push rod engines are mechanically loud because of the cam > lifter > pushrod > rocker arm > valve spring > valve interaction. With aluminum heads, in particular, the sound was much more noticeable at idle, with the hood open.

So I understood why these cars make certain noises but that is the key; understanding why.

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
If it becomes audible with oil changes and is fixed by an oil additive and it's from the top end of the engine.
Then fair chances it's something in the valve train.
Is it more of a hot engine thing than a cold start thing ?

I'd be interested to know where the cam phasers are at the point it's happening.

The coyote uses quite a trick / novel cam phaser design that is very difficult to get functioning at low temperatures. If it's near an end stop it could be slapping it at higher temperatures.

It could be the solenoids controlling them working hard to keep them in position.

The perceived loudness of a valve train is highly influenced by the closing and sometimes opening ramps on the cam profile. (when there is valve lash, most modern engines run zero opening lash)

Which is basically how fast the valve is going when it hits the seat. With modern roller follower designs you can do far more trick things than you could with flat tappets.

If the lash adjusters are leaking down excessively it could lead to harsher valve seating. If it's been going on long enough and ford aren't worried it's causing damage then it's probably just an annoyance factor.

At low engine speeds despite the low oil pressure there should be plenty of time for the lash adjuster to refil. They only have issues at high rpm when they don't have time to recover and end up leaking down.

Edit - A quick google search later and ford performance lash adjusters look like a very standard INA part. Shouldn't be an issue with those as long as ford remembered to vent them.

Edit again - Can only find the 5.2's rocker arm's but they are of good design. They even use the HLA vent path as a spray just for the roller follower. Just hope they haven't restricted the HLA feed too much.

Last edited:

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having thought about this a little more...

If they are getting excessive lash adjuster leak down it's unlikely to cause an issue at low engine speeds.

In basic terms valve seating velocity becomes an nvh issue long before it becomes a mechanical issue and at low engine speeds the valve is never really going fast enough to be a mechanical issue even without a closing ramp

As long as the tick goes away by 2000rpm ish it shouldn't be an issue (depends on cam profile design)

As a rule of thumb valves are designed to seat at 0.1m/s but are typically in the range of 0.2 to 0.4
The nvh 'limit' is 0.5m/s, the continuous mechanical limit is 1m/s with an instantaneous peak of 2m/s.
Any higher or longer and valve seat damage is likely.

I'll have a look later to see if I can make an audio clip of an engine with excessive closing velocity to see if it sounds the same.

For reference I'm a variable valvetrain test and validation engineer for a consultancy firm (formally r&d of a tier 1 supplier)

If you YouTube flexvalve or duocam you should find the things we do

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Having thought about this a little more...

If they are getting excessive lash adjuster leak down it's unlikely to cause an issue at low engine speeds.

In basic terms valve seating velocity becomes an nvh issue long before it becomes a mechanical issue and at low engine speeds the valve is never really going fast enough to be a mechanical issue even without a closing ramp

As long as the tick goes away by 2000rpm ish it shouldn't be an issue (depends on cam profile design)

As a rule of thumb valves are designed to seat at 0.1m/s but are typically in the range of 0.2 to 0.4
The nvh 'limit' is 0.5m/s, the continuous mechanical limit is 1m/s with an instantaneous peak of 2m/s.
Any higher or longer and valve seat damage is likely.

I'll have a look later to see if I can make an audio clip of an engine with excessive closing velocity to see if it sounds the same.

For reference I'm a variable valvetrain test and validation engineer for a consultancy firm (formally r&d of a tier 1 supplier)

If you YouTube flexvalve or duocam you should find the things we do
Is the sound more perceptible top or bottom end. I think i thought the tsb with sound clip indicated lower end.

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the sound more perceptible top or bottom end. I think i thought the tsb with sound clip indicated lower end.
There was suggestions of fuel injectors ? they're top end as well but highly unlikely to be influenced by an oil change / oil additive. Where as lash adjuster leak down will be.

Reactions: Zig

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
What’s crazy to me is that the Coyote in my truck and the Coyote in my old 19 S550 make all sorts of noise and ticks … but my Voodoo which according to some is supposed to rattle itself apart according to some makes none of these noises
Sponsored