TSB for Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
OK, I’ll say it: From what I have observed on this and the GT500 forum, all those that received the letter and have the problem “appear” to be the same builder…. This is from observing M6G and no other info.
Does anyone have additional info?
The guy that you are replying too says that his engine is fine despite 6 or 7 of us needing new chains from the same builder
Based on a quick Google search it appears Altadonna has been one of the SVT builders for years, even before the Voodoo. That makes me wonder if this may be a case of association not meaning causation.
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Based on a quick Google search it appears Altadonna has been one of the SVT builders for years, even before the Voodoo. That makes me wonder if this may be a case of association not meaning causation.
I was hesitant in being one of those people who were calling for blood, given how prevalent cancel culture is today. I don't like doing that. I wouldn't want the Builder to get flak for this because we don't know anything.

I suggested that it may have been an assembly error meaning he received faulty parts. I assumed that it was just bad luck.

CLK's GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hey folks, another owner of a 2020 with a Jason A. engine here. Figured I'd share what has been a major ordeal.
  • June 30: after seeing the TSB in the FordPass app, I drop the car off at my local dealer service dept. I'm told that it's very unlikely to be affected.
  • July 1: Turns out it was affected. Oops. Further testing needs to be done, will take another day or two to diagnose fully.
  • July 5: Timing is fine, only the tensioner (and related parts) need to be replaced. Tensioner is on backorder with no ETA.
  • Aug 10: Parts are in, repairs are started, I'm told it will be a few days.
  • Aug 14: I am informed that "Ford had sent over the wrong part, despite the part number matching." I'm told that this can happen, apparently. A new part was ordered.
  • Aug 17: New part arrived, same "wrong" part. I immediately drive over to visit the service center and speak directly with the technician, service advisor, and the manager of the service dept. I am shown that the new tensioner is much smaller and does not fit into the engine. The technician is speaking directly with Ford Parts but the turnaround time for communication is about 24 hours.
  • Aug 19: A Ford engineer directly explains that the new tensioner is correct and the install procedure is different. The new tensioner is finally installed. Engine is put back together. Note: the difference in old vs new tensioner and installation procedure was actually pointed out earlier in this forum thread, I didn't see it until literally the same day the tech figured it out with help from Ford.
  • Aug 20: Silicone is dry, engine is started for testing. Misfires, timing is off. Timing chain "isn't used to the new tension, now that there are working tensioners".
  • Aug 23: After investigating, it is determined that new timing chains are needed. I'm told they have already been ordered and will be overnighted. Note: anytime a Ford service center tells you something will be overnighted, it's BS.
  • Aug 25: I'm informed that Ford's inventory was not accurate, and the timing chains are backordered, with no ETA.
  • Sep 27: Timing chains have arrived, repairs can start again.
  • Sep 30: I'm informed by the service manager that another part is "incorrect", and that a replacement is on the way. I'm getting flashbacks to the tensioner...
  • Oct 1: I visit the service center yet again. Technician was not in yet, but my service advisor tells me that it is not an "incorrect part", but a replacement cylinder head(!) needed for the repair was accidentally returned to Ford, because it was sitting around for so long while waiting for the backordered parts. I'm told it is being overnighted. Later in the day, I receive a call from the service manager, who contradicts both the advisor and his own statement from the previous day, and said it's not the cylinder head (which they did already have, apparently), but some other related part. I'll be looking into the specific part on Monday.
At this point, I'm spooked about the future of this car. COVID-related supply chain issues aside, it seems like the communication between Ford and service centers about GT350-specific repairs is poor. At the very least, I'm not confident in the ability of this specific dealer service center and I will probably look elsewhere in the future.

I expect to be waiting up to another couple of weeks before getting the car back, but the manager of the service dept had mentioned that because these are "new parts being added to an already broken-in engine" that there could be problems down the road. I could force a buyback but I don't know if it's worth it.

Anyway, apologies for the long post. If anyone has any advice or insight, I'd appreciate it. I'm just gonna keep playing the waiting game for the time being.
I made Ford buy back my GT350. It was sad but it had to be done. My car has been in the shop since June 15th and is still there. The buyback process was not so bad, once they determined I qualified for the buyback I sent them my purchase docs and registration and received a check a couple weeks later.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This thread should join the other stickies at the top of this forum and the same should be applied to the other in the GT500 forum.

Jamongkad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
To add to this thread, this is what mine's looks like. It's not fully extended compared to the other photos but I can still the groove.
  • VIN is not a part of the TSB recall.
  • Car is a 2019 and is track driven.
  • Has 4,000 miles
I don't know if I should take my car to the dealership to get it inspected. Judging from the posts I'll be more worried of the dealership due to parts shortage or bad communication from Ford.

IMG_8964.jpg

IMG_8965.jpg

Sponsored

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
To add to this thread, this is what mine's looks like. It's not fully extended compared to the other photos but I can still the groove.
  • Has 4,000 miles
I don't know if I should take my car to the dealership to get it inspected. Judging from the posts I'll be more worried of the dealership due to parts shortage or bad communication from Ford.

IMG_8964.jpg

IMG_8965.jpg
You appear to be good.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
  • Has 4,000 miles

IMG_8964.jpg

IMG_8965.jpg
Your's is more extended than mine is. My 2019 wasn't on the list, and trying to get someone to look at it was an impossibilty, because it wasn't on the list. When I had my oil changed, I had the dealer look at it, and said that's how it should be, even though I never would see the groove. They said there's nothing they could do, as the vin# wasn't on the list. They said until something breaks, they can't touch it.
That was back in May. Since then I've driven the car many times in the 7K-8K rpm range, even hitting the rpm limiter several times. So, if it didn't blow apart then, I'm hoping I'm good.

Jamongkad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Your's is more extended than mine is. My 2019 wasn't on the list, and trying to get someone to look at it was an impossibilty, because it wasn't on the list. When I had my oil changed, I had the dealer look at it, and said that's how it should be, even though I never would see the groove. They said there's nothing they could do, as the vin# wasn't on the list. They said until something breaks, they can't touch it.
That was back in May. Since then I've driven the car many times in the 7K-8K rpm range, even hitting the rpm limiter several times. So, if it didn't blow apart then, I'm hoping I'm good.
I hear ya, I feel that’s the line the dealer will give me if I do bring it in. I told myself if the engine goes it will go out with a bang lol. I’ll continue to send it!

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
The tensioner moves up and down a little when the engine is running. If you check it again after you drive it or turn the crank with a ratchet you will see it move.
Tried all of that, and it made no difference.
Check all my posts in this thread, pages 11-14.

Sponsored

Jamongkad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
The tensioner moves up and down a little when the engine is running. If you check it again after you drive it or turn the crank with a ratchet you will see it move.
I'll do that and report back thanks!

Jamongkad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Took the car for a short 15 min drive around town. Checked the tensioners and it seemed to move up a bit compared to last time.

58BC4734-2AF4-4193-9B99-DBB16DA36796.jpeg

2F9068E5-170D-46D0-A6A0-122EF947E0B1.jpeg

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Oh yeah. You're golden.

MikeMPhotos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I ordered a dentist mirror from Amazon and checked the tensioner. It appears to be good. It’s hard as hell to get a picture of it though. I also checked the engine sticker and mine was built on March 30th 2021 so I should be good.

51DDA5B5-0933-4B7A-BE54-8B1217B35195.jpeg

79D21319-27B4-4C30-B791-EA07C5910444.jpeg
Sponsored