Sponsored

TSB for Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Just as a warning, my timing chain tensioner broke on my way to the dealer for the recall. They have the option to go to your house for the inspection
20210617_153132.jpg
Damn, this makes my heart hurt. So sorry.

OP
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Just as a warning, my timing chain tensioner broke on my way to the dealer for the recall. They have the option to go to your house for the inspection
Is it me or is there a broken link in the secondary chain?

271E467E-5442-4603-AE50-ED4581371398.jpeg

Wonder if that was caused by the tensioner allowing poor contact between the sprocket and chain….or….

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Is it me or is there a broken link in the secondary chain?

271E467E-5442-4603-AE50-ED4581371398.jpeg

Wonder if that was caused by the tensioner allowing poor contact between the sprocket and chain….or….
Yep, saw that earlier. Looks like a fractured inner plate. I wonder if that happened due to running off the sprocket... Nuts.

Zuess765

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Why won't anyone respond with their Engine Builders name ? That is critical information for the rest of us out here so we can find the pattern of which Engine Builder or Builders caused this issue.

CLK's GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Why won't anyone respond with their Engine Builders name ? That is critical information for the rest of us out here so we can find the pattern of which Engine Builder or Builders caused this issue.
I'm working on it, having a busy week.

CLK's GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I feel very bad for those of you who are going through this. Is ford offering extended warranty of some sort as compensation?
When I called they immediately recommended a buy back. Not sure if it's because of the extremely low mileage or what. No talk of a warranty or other compensation.

OP
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I called they immediately recommended a buy back. Not sure if it's because of the extremely low mileage or what. No talk of a warranty or other compensation.
Since your secondary chain has certainly slipped, you likely have intake valve to piston contact. That’s at least a new engine. Buy back or new engine appear to be your options at this point….

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See post #436…

Seeya_later

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hey folks, another owner of a 2020 with a Jason A. engine here. Figured I'd share what has been a major ordeal.
  • June 30: after seeing the TSB in the FordPass app, I drop the car off at my local dealer service dept. I'm told that it's very unlikely to be affected.
  • July 1: Turns out it was affected. Oops. Further testing needs to be done, will take another day or two to diagnose fully.
  • July 5: Timing is fine, only the tensioner (and related parts) need to be replaced. Tensioner is on backorder with no ETA.
  • Aug 10: Parts are in, repairs are started, I'm told it will be a few days.
  • Aug 14: I am informed that "Ford had sent over the wrong part, despite the part number matching." I'm told that this can happen, apparently. A new part was ordered.
  • Aug 17: New part arrived, same "wrong" part. I immediately drive over to visit the service center and speak directly with the technician, service advisor, and the manager of the service dept. I am shown that the new tensioner is much smaller and does not fit into the engine. The technician is speaking directly with Ford Parts but the turnaround time for communication is about 24 hours.
  • Aug 19: A Ford engineer directly explains that the new tensioner is correct and the install procedure is different. The new tensioner is finally installed. Engine is put back together. Note: the difference in old vs new tensioner and installation procedure was actually pointed out earlier in this forum thread, I didn't see it until literally the same day the tech figured it out with help from Ford.
  • Aug 20: Silicone is dry, engine is started for testing. Misfires, timing is off. Timing chain "isn't used to the new tension, now that there are working tensioners".
  • Aug 23: After investigating, it is determined that new timing chains are needed. I'm told they have already been ordered and will be overnighted. Note: anytime a Ford service center tells you something will be overnighted, it's BS.
  • Aug 25: I'm informed that Ford's inventory was not accurate, and the timing chains are backordered, with no ETA.
  • Sep 27: Timing chains have arrived, repairs can start again.
  • Sep 30: I'm informed by the service manager that another part is "incorrect", and that a replacement is on the way. I'm getting flashbacks to the tensioner...
  • Oct 1: I visit the service center yet again. Technician was not in yet, but my service advisor tells me that it is not an "incorrect part", but a replacement cylinder head(!) needed for the repair was accidentally returned to Ford, because it was sitting around for so long while waiting for the backordered parts. I'm told it is being overnighted. Later in the day, I receive a call from the service manager, who contradicts both the advisor and his own statement from the previous day, and said it's not the cylinder head (which they did already have, apparently), but some other related part. I'll be looking into the specific part on Monday.
At this point, I'm spooked about the future of this car. COVID-related supply chain issues aside, it seems like the communication between Ford and service centers about GT350-specific repairs is poor. At the very least, I'm not confident in the ability of this specific dealer service center and I will probably look elsewhere in the future.

I expect to be waiting up to another couple of weeks before getting the car back, but the manager of the service dept had mentioned that because these are "new parts being added to an already broken-in engine" that there could be problems down the road. I could force a buyback but I don't know if it's worth it.

Anyway, apologies for the long post. If anyone has any advice or insight, I'd appreciate it. I'm just gonna keep playing the waiting game for the time being.

nmp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor 2020 GT350R 2022 GT500
Hey folks, another owner of a 2020 with a Jason A. engine here. Figured I'd share what has been a major ordeal.
  • June 30: after seeing the TSB in the FordPass app, I drop the car off at my local dealer service dept. I'm told that it's very unlikely to be affected.
  • July 1: Turns out it was affected. Oops. Further testing needs to be done, will take another day or two to diagnose fully.
  • July 5: Timing is fine, only the tensioner (and related parts) need to be replaced. Tensioner is on backorder with no ETA.
  • Aug 10: Parts are in, repairs are started, I'm told it will be a few days.
  • Aug 14: I am informed that "Ford had sent over the wrong part, despite the part number matching." I'm told that this can happen, apparently. A new part was ordered.
  • Aug 17: New part arrived, same "wrong" part. I immediately drive over to visit the service center and speak directly with the technician, service advisor, and the manager of the service dept. I am shown that the new tensioner is much smaller and does not fit into the engine. The technician is speaking directly with Ford Parts but the turnaround time for communication is about 24 hours.
  • Aug 19: A Ford engineer directly explains that the new tensioner is correct and the install procedure is different. The new tensioner is finally installed. Engine is put back together. Note: the difference in old vs new tensioner and installation procedure was actually pointed out earlier in this forum thread, I didn't see it until literally the same day the tech figured it out with help from Ford.
  • Aug 20: Silicone is dry, engine is started for testing. Misfires, timing is off. Timing chain "isn't used to the new tension, now that there are working tensioners".
  • Aug 23: After investigating, it is determined that new timing chains are needed. I'm told they have already been ordered and will be overnighted. Note: anytime a Ford service center tells you something will be overnighted, it's BS.
  • Aug 25: I'm informed that Ford's inventory was not accurate, and the timing chains are backordered, with no ETA.
  • Sep 27: Timing chains have arrived, repairs can start again.
  • Sep 30: I'm informed by the service manager that another part is "incorrect", and that a replacement is on the way. I'm getting flashbacks to the tensioner...
  • Oct 1: I visit the service center yet again. Technician was not in yet, but my service advisor tells me that it is not an "incorrect part", but a replacement cylinder head(!) needed for the repair was accidentally returned to Ford, because it was sitting around for so long while waiting for the backordered parts. I'm told it is being overnighted. Later in the day, I receive a call from the service manager, who contradicts both the advisor and his own statement from the previous day, and said it's not the cylinder head (which they did already have, apparently), but some other related part. I'll be looking into the specific part on Monday.
At this point, I'm spooked about the future of this car. COVID-related supply chain issues aside, it seems like the communication between Ford and service centers about GT350-specific repairs is poor. At the very least, I'm not confident in the ability of this specific dealer service center and I will probably look elsewhere in the future.

I expect to be waiting up to another couple of weeks before getting the car back, but the manager of the service dept had mentioned that because these are "new parts being added to an already broken-in engine" that there could be problems down the road. I could force a buyback but I don't know if it's worth it.

Anyway, apologies for the long post. If anyone has any advice or insight, I'd appreciate it. I'm just gonna keep playing the waiting game for the time being.
if you want out and ford gives you a hard time about a buyback, i would look into lemon law in your state. you might have a very cut and dry case.
Sponsored