OP
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Ford dealer inspection yesterday confirms tensioner was activated on the right side.
Jason Altadonna builder.
Anyone else have more info on what caused this TSB?
Was it a run of defective tensioners?
OK, I’ll say it: From what I have observed on this and the GT500 forum, all those that received the letter and have the problem “appear” to be the same builder…. This is from observing M6G and no other info.
Does anyone have additional info?
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
OK, I’ll say it: From what I have observed on this and the GT500 forum, all those that received the letter and have the problem “appear” to be the same builder…. This is from observing M6G and no other info.
Does anyone have additional info?
The guy that you are replying too says that his engine is fine despite 6 or 7 of us needing new chains from the same builder

OP
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
The guy that you are replying too says that his engine is fine despite 6 or 7 of us needing new chains from the same builder
But he received the letter…. So he was a potential candidate for the problem.
My supposition is that those who received the letter likely had the same engine builder.
Did anyone receive a letter that did not have the builder in question?…

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
My supposition is that those who received the letter likely had the same engine builder.
Great question. I have been wondering the same thing.

gtodoc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Warranty expense is definitely a factor, I was wondering if it is a tensioner problem or an assembly problem.
2 friends have 2020 GT 500 and did NOT get the TSB letter.
Our car has a different engine builder.

Sponsored

gtodoc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Our GT 350 has a December 4, 2020 Jason Altadonna assembled engine and passed the dealer inspection.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I believe @Postal Bob has the issue and different builders but I think your PSA is a valid message.
Has anyone NOT been part of the recall and found the tensioner NOT activated?
There was the cat with the 2019 that appeared not to be activated, who couldn’t get anyone to touch his car cause it wasn’t in the recall...
Update-I took my car in last month, and got the answer I unfortunately was expecting. They said the tensioner is ok. Even though I can clearly see it's different from other's GT350's I looked at, along with my F150 which uses the same tensioner. The service manager said the tensioner will extend when the oil pressure increases. Which I believe is total bullshit. But they said if it's not in the recall, not making noises, not running rough, there's nothing they can do.
So at this point there's nothing I can do, as many other dealers said the same thing to me when I called. But it is documented in the service record that I asked for the tensioner to be checked. And I have an extended warranty so I'll be protected for 8 years. I'm currently driving the car, and driving it hard at times. Doing 7K+ rpms while accelerating. So, if the chain was to go, it should've given me some indication by now. But until something happens, or I start hearing the chain, or Ford extends the recall, I'm driving the car like I stole it.
But, always the timing chain tensioner is in the back of my mind.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Update-I took my car in last month, and got the answer I unfortunately was expecting. They said the tensioner is ok. Even though I can clearly see it's different from other's GT350's I looked at, along with my F150 which uses the same tensioner. The service manager said the tensioner will extend when the oil pressure increases. Which I believe is total bullshit. But they said if it's not in the recall, not making noises, not running rough, there's nothing they can do.
So at this point there's nothing I can do, as many other dealers said the same thing to me when I called. But it is documented in the service record that I asked for the tensioner to be checked. And I have an extended warranty so I'll be protected for 8 years. I'm currently driving the car, and driving it hard at times. Doing 7K+ rpms while accelerating. So, if the chain was to go, it should've given me some indication by now. But until something happens, or I start hearing the chain, or Ford extends the recall, I'm driving the car like I stole it.
That stinks! One would think with the cost of the engine they would want to be proactive and be certain there isn’t a problem or potential problem.. Thank you for the update and The Best of Luck. Best Regards..

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
IMHO, I think you’re fine. Apparently, Ford chose to target a certain build population for a reason. Makes me wonder if the tensioners in your car are a totally different part # than the 2020 lot.

Last edited:

RetiredFireCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition Package #L0350
Received my letter.......Builder - Jovo Joncic engine built - Tuesday October 6th 2020
Blend date 10/13/2020......my visual says deployed

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
IMHO, I think you’re fine. Apparently, Ford chose to target a certain build population for a reason. Makes me wander if the tensioners in your car are a totally different part # than the 2020 lot.
Thought that at first, but when I looked up the part #'s for both, they're the same, along with my 2016 F150. Plus, I physically looked at other's 2019 cars, and theirs were clearly active, and different looking than mine.
Like I said, I'm driving the car like if I never heard about this recall. But I do have it on record that I asked for it to be checked. So if any problems develop, its on Ford and the dealer for stating it was good.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Just as a warning, my timing chain tensioner broke on my way to the dealer for the recall. They have the option to go to your house for the inspection
20210617_153132.jpg
Hello; Tough luck. Too bad. Hope you get your car back soon.

CLK's GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Who is the engine builder ?
I will check Monday when I go for my
Hello; Tough luck. Too bad. Hope you get your car back soon.
I'm not sure if I want it back since it's going to be a dealer built engine. Might be opening a can of worms with this one. RAV is supposed to be giving me a call soon. Just FYI, it's at 947 miles.
Sponsored