TSB for Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner

GT350HE29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350HE, 1966 Mustang Coupe, 1966 Corvette Sting Ray, 2014 F250
Even if it’s both sides does not mean a total rebuild.
I think the bulletin says that if they see a failed tensioner on the right side, they are to replace both anyway.
Sponsored

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
Even if it’s both sides does not mean a total rebuild.
Ya I agree but that’s what my dealership is leaning towards they are hung up on step 7 including the heads as I stated in my post yesterday. My repair is still being evaluated and processed so I continue to lose sleep

AAI Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 HEP
Drove mine about 10 miles yesterday, feels good and is smoother for sure.

Rebel, keeping an eye on yours. In case your foreman wants to chat with the one that did my car, tell them to call Patrick at Autonation Littleton Ford Colorado.

GT350HE29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
True but if you only do a passenger side inspection and it passes you still do not know for sure the drivers side is good to go.
Yep. I didn’t like that either.

As far as a total rebuild. I stated in a previous post, I do not believe Ford will allow the dealer to rebuild these engines.
I did discuss this with my dealer at the beginning and the SM said they would have to discuss that with FORD if it came down to timing marks are off, it could be an engine replacement.

Sponsored

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350

Rebel, keeping an eye on yours. In case your foreman wants to chat with the one that did my car, tell them to call Patrick at Autonation Littleton Ford Colorado.
Thank you AAI i appreciate that contact information - yes I am watching it intently trust me. My service manager is just trying to get 100% good information from Ford as to exactly without a doubt what to replace and cover his dealership liability.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Here is the way I think about such things. I was shopping for a Porsche Cayman up until the 2016 model year which was the last year for the flat 6. I continue to look at used cars from the 2009 to 2016 year, but not older than 2009. 2009 and older flat six engines had an intermediate shaft bearing failure issue. Happened to maybe ten percent of the engines. I just do not want to have to be thinking about a built in issue even if it is only a ten percent likely thing to happen. Porsche eventually had a class action suit over this and did take care of some owners.
If you look at a 2008 or older flat six it is good to ask if a "fix' has been done. There is a way to patch the bearing issue and if done before failure the engine is OK mostly.

From what I can tell so far, and it is early days, the fix on the Ford engine is a whole lot easier. I would be worried about the hidden side not so easy to see. I do miss the old days when I could have the valve covers off an engine in a few minutes. Last time I had to remove the valve covers on a V6 Nissan pathfinder it took several hours for one side. I do not know how involved it will be to pull a valve cover and check the other side.

If you car is still under warranty then my guess is to not do anything on your own other than take a look with a mirror.

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
Yep. I didn’t like that either.

As far as a total rebuild. I stated in a previous post, I do not believe Ford will allow the dealer to rebuild these engines.
I did discuss this with my dealer at the beginning and the SM said they would have to discuss that with FORD if it came down to timing marks are off, it could be an engine replacement.
Sounds like you and I are asking the dealership a lot of great questions and getting good feedback for our Mustang brothers and sisters - great work. I also asked those same exact questions and requested a total motor replacement if they have to do anything more than just tensioners chain and guides. I also requested a extension on my original warranty.

GT350HE29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)

Looking forward to that first drive.

Good to hear the positive.

Sponsored

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Hello; Here is the way I think about such things. I was shopping for a Porsche Cayman up until the 2016 model year which was the last year for the flat 6. I continue to look at used cars from the 2009 to 2016 year, but not older than 2009. 2009 and older flat six engines had an intermediate shaft bearing failure issue. Happened to maybe ten percent of the engines. I just do not want to have to be thinking about a built in issue even if it is only a ten percent likely thing to happen. Porsche eventually had a class action suit over this and did take care of some owners.
If you look at a 2008 or older flat six it is good to ask if a "fix' has been done. There is a way to patch the bearing issue and if done before failure the engine is OK mostly.

From what I can tell so far, and it is early days, the fix on the Ford engine is a whole lot easier. I would be worried about the hidden side not so easy to see. I do miss the old days when I could have the valve covers off an engine in a few minutes. Last time I had to remove the valve covers on a V6 Nissan pathfinder it took several hours for one side. I do not know how involved it will be to pull a valve cover and check the other side.

If you car is still under warranty then my guess is to not do anything on your own other than take a look with a mirror.

I had a 996 C4. That car was a blast and the best car in the snow. Colorado was a great place for that car. The "fix" is a bearing change and can be done when the clutch was replaced. Porsche only took care of you if you were the original owner. They helped a few seconded owner only if they bought from a dealer and certified at the time. Scary at the time until LN Engineering made the fix. By now most of those cars have been "fixed" and I would say cheap fun.

I was like you looking for a Flat-Six Cayman S or more in a manual, no PDK after finding out the system is replace only at $15k-$20K. I asked how long the system last and was told the lifetime of the car. I asked Porsche to define lifetime ... I never received an answer. I enjoyed the Porches I had but super thrilled to have what I have now.

My car was on the list and it checked out.. In the back of my mind I wish they could look at the other side. I have warranty so I am going to drive it and worry about where I let the car run free.

My god the sound this car makes. It is screaming and I look down to see I still have 2-3k left to run up.

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
I had a 996 C4. That car was a blast and the best car in the snow. Colorado was a great place for that car. The "fix" is a bearing change and can be done when the clutch was replaced. Porsche only took care of you if you were the original owner. They helped a few seconded owner only if they bought from a dealer and certified at the time. Scary at the time until LN Engineering made the fix. By now most of those cars have been "fixed" and I would say cheap fun.

I was like you looking for a Flat-Six Cayman S or more in a manual, no PDK after finding out the system is replace only at $15k-$20K. I asked how long the system last and was told the lifetime of the car. I asked Porsche to define lifetime ... I never received an answer. I enjoyed the Porches I had but super thrilled to have what I have now.

My car was on the list and it checked out.. In the back of my mind I wish they could look at the other side. I have warranty so I am going to drive it and worry about where I let the car run free.

My god the sound this car makes. It is screaming and I look down to see I still have 2-3k left to run up.
I agree this car has touched my soul in so many ways - I’m alive again - well said. My last Stang was a 71 Mach 1 351 Cleveland back in the day when I got my license. I’ve had fast motorcycles and cars since but nothing like this experience.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE

Hello; yes the "fix" for a manual was not so bad since you could do it when the clutch was serviced. I have links saved to sites with fairly detailed information about replacing the bearing. It can be got to with the flywheel removed. I do recall mention of a superior bearing.
Yes to consider one of the 2008 and older cars I would want some documentation the "fix" has been done. For what it is worth the 2008 model is reported to be much more rare in terms of failures from a rear bearing failure. The factory may have made an upgrade. Even so I still look at a 2009 or later if one shows up near me for sale.
The bigger issues for me is in a Mustang I can have a spare tire and it is American made.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I think he is saying it’s a faulty tensioner.
Yes, but to move forward with dealer warranty repair, it would have needed to represent as "not activated" to being with. Maybe the dealer activated it after the removal?
Sponsored