Sponsored

TSB for Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
Update : Just heard from my Ford service manager that his higher up Ford representative thinks my cylinder heads and pistons are to be replaced also per the bulletin But their not positive so they are checking one person higher in the Ford chain of command.
Sponsored

italman1285

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Update : Just heard from my Ford service manager that his higher up Ford representative thinks my cylinder heads and pistons are to be replaced also per the bulletin But their not positive so they are checking one person higher in the Ford chain of command.
Does that mean the engine failed the leak down test?

OP
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I would not let them do that to my car if the timing is correct. That's a complete tear down and too many things can go wrong....

italman1285

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I just saw your previous posts, the cylinder head and pistons only need to be changed if you failed leak down test and there was "contact." I wonder how they came to the conclusion that you need new head and pistons if you engine was in time???

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
Good question I did ask him about that and no leak down test was performed they are just going off of how the wording is on the bulletin. He said if he doesn’t fix it exactly like Ford says then something more happens down the road Ford will come back at them for compensation

Sponsored

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
They are getting confused with the wording on the service procedure that says if in time skip to step 7 which includes the cylinder head if that makes sence

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
Tell the dealer to check with Ford to get clarification. I don't think the cylinder head needs to be replaced if motor is in time.
I agree with you - we are climbing up the Ford chain of command with only one more person left to check with. My service manager feels that Ford might think there is more to this problem possibly

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
So, I know no one wants to put a bounty on the head of the engine builder here, but parts vs workmanship are at question here since both tensioners were not activated. Is it getting safer to say this is likely not a part issue?

Sponsored

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
So, I know no one wants to put a bounty on the head of the engine builder here, but parts vs workmanship are at question here since both tensioners were not activated. Is it getting safer to say this is likely not a part issue?
I shared that intel with my dealership also. Same engine builder on what 4 or 5 motor failures. I was on another blog from around Christmas that a motor blew with around 500 miles on it - same builder just sayin

nmp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor 2020 GT350R 2022 GT500
I shared that intel with my dealership also. Same engine builder on what 4 or 5 motor failures. I was on another blog from around Christmas that a motor blew with around 500 miles on it - same builder just sayin
Have there been any failures or non activated tensioners from any other engine builder?

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
Have there been any failures or non activated tensioners from any other engine builder?
Not to my knowledge and it makes me uncomfortable calling out specific engine builder at this point but I’m not happy at this point and trying to be civil. I told my dealership I will sell them my car for $65,000 and see ya. But I must say I do love my car.

GT350HE29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350HE, 1966 Mustang Coupe, 1966 Corvette Sting Ray, 2014 F250
If you have a lot of confidence in your dealer, you could pay them to look at it or get a trusted shop to evaluate if you can not make an exact determination.

I reported on my issue last Friday, L029 is on the list. As stated in my post, I was convinced mine is defective. I could see it good with a mirror, however, could not get a pic good enough to share with you all. Had it hauled to the dealer (that was hard to stomach). They are seeing the same thing, have ordered the parts to replace the tensioner, chains, etc. at this point. Said they would know more when they got it taken apart.
Build date is early 3/20
Update on my failed tensioner.

The tech got started today, got it tore down to the the chain/tensioners. I was able to talked extensively with him about my engine and the overall problem. He rotated my engine many times and it was always aligned up in time. So we feel confident it is good to just do a tensioner, guides/shoes and chains replacement. I asked about the language about replacing the head(s). He and the dealership agree with many on this post that if it is in time, the head(s) do not need replacing.
I shared with him that many on this post and I as well have the same builder with the failures. He does not see how it could be installer error, especially with how many 5.0/Coyote engines that have been built and the timing chain design is the same.

At that time he had already removed one of my original tensioners. Holding it in my hand it had some spring to, however, the tech felt it was weak. His opinion is that when the engine is running the oil pressure did give tensioner enough support to keep the chain tight enough from jumping time and why the engine has run well for 2600+ miles. Another interesting point he showed me is the new tensioner is a slightly different design and does look slightly different. My old tensioner shoe/guide showed no signs of wear. He was in the process of reassembling my engine and expects to complete the job on Monday providing all goes well.
I have had varying thoughts about this issue. It is possible to have a batch of bad parts, I have experienced this before in my own profession. The first thought of management was it was installer error, men that actually worked for me, however, it turned out the vendor had provided us with some equipment that had faulty seals and plates on this equipment causing catastrophic failures at a substantial cost.
I still do not know for sure, maybe we will, maybe not? My main concern at this point is my car get back together and not have any issues from this tear down.
I know now how a addict feels going thru DT. Ready to get back in my “Pretty Boy”.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
That's confusing - if it wasn't activated at all...how can he say that there was enough spring and oil pressure to keep tension on the chain?
Sponsored