Sponsored

TSB for Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Check out the video here. Post 96.
This is why many feel it's a builder problem and not a part problem and if the builder activated one side they in all likelihood activated both.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ensioner-service-guide-attached.158780/page-7
I was doing some research this morning and apparently they are activated by the builder. I saw this in an article that stated some were not correctly activated during assembly. I can not tell you if this is accurate info or not. But it is the latest I have seen. BTW, checked mine and you can clearly see it is activated. Additionally, I did not receive a Ford Pass Notification and at the Recall website it did say my car was not affected.
See post 245 of this thread. Watch the video.
Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Interesting about pushing down on the chain/tensioner to activate it. I tried pushing down on mine, which isn't activated, but It didn't move. I wasn't applying great pressure because I didn't know how much pressure is needed. I'll try again using more pressure next time.
But even if I do get it activated, how do I know if the driver's side isn't activated? You can't access that one like on the passenger side. And how do I know if any damage was done to the chain besides?
Remember my car isn't on the list, so I need a tech to see that it's not activated, and then for them to make a case to Ford to somehow authorize repairs

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Interesting about pushing down on the chain/tensioner to activate it. I tried pushing down on mine, which isn't activated, but It didn't move. I wasn't applying great pressure because I didn't know how much pressure is needed. I'll try again using more pressure next time.
But even if I do get it activated, how do I know if the driver's side isn't activated? You can't access that one like on the passenger side. And how do I know if any damage was done to the chain besides?
Remember my car isn't on the list, so I need a tech to see that it's not activated, and then for them to make a case to Ford to somehow authorize repairs
No dog in the hunt here, was just interested to see what this was all about. If it were me, I would not try to activate it myself. If you are successful, Ford will claim it was always activated and you may have any claims related to any damage denied. Especially since it is not on the list.

italman1285

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I was doing some research this morning and apparently they are activated by the builder. I saw this in an article that stated some were not correctly activated during assembly. I can not tell you if this is accurate info or not. But it is the latest I have seen. BTW, checked mine and you can clearly see it is activated. Additionally, I did not receive a Ford Pass Notification and at the Recall website it did say my car was not affected.
Which article did you see, do you happen to have a link?

Sponsored

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
It shouldn't be. These parts are fairly dummy proof.

Article is misinterpreting the TSB. Here's the actual language:

1620236411709.png

No focus on the actual builder. It's a faulty part. If you look deeper into the TSB, the first thing they recommend doing is replacing the tensioner. It's definitely a faulty part, not a poorly installed part.
It could be faulty parts but the builder activates during engine build so it seems that the builder should have found the issue during the build.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It could be faulty parts but the builder activates during engine build so it seems that the builder should have found the issue during the build.
Have they changed the part number? Mine did not need to be activated when I installed them during my engine build.

Also, that compression would likely happen naturally under a running engine if it was forgotten since the chain moves around a good bit. If you rotate the engine over, you’ll see the secondary chain move up and down with the tensioner a decent amount.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Have they changed the part number? Mine did not need to be activated when I installed them during my engine build.

Also, that compression would likely happen naturally under a running engine if it was forgotten since the chain moves around a good bit. If you rotate the engine over, you’ll see the secondary chain move up and down with the tensioner a decent amount.
Perhaps the secondary chain tensioner was already activated prior to your install? Accidentally or prematurely?

Sponsored

jabberwoki

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
69 428 CJ Mach 1 , 2020 gt350
I was thinking the same thing, I have an appointment in the morning. Anyone here have experience with Serramonte Ford? I never take my cars to the dealer, I try to do all the PM myself.
For some reason i assumed you were going to tow it your self on a trailer.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Besides seeing that the shaft is not extended, my chain never did look taunt, or have that slight tri-oval look about it as it looks in the video. It actually looked somewhat slack
Did your car ever have trouble starting or rough idle?

Last edited:

GT350HE29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350HE, 1966 Mustang Coupe, 1966 Corvette Sting Ray, 2014 F250
Did your car ever have trouble starting or rough idle?
Never an issue starting, no rough idling. As stated in one of my prior post, I would catch a little blip at a red light, this was very rarely, it typically surprised me. Chalked this up to maybe being a FPC.

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Never an issue starting, no rough idling. As stated in one of my prior post, I would catch a little blip at a red light, this was very rarely, it typically surprised me. Chalked this up to maybe being a FPC.

I have noticed the same blip.
Sponsored