TSB for Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Just an FYI - whether or not this tensioner is "activated" or not has nothing to do with the builder. There's no lock/unlock button. It's a faulty part if it's not working.

Ya'll can shut down the witch hunts.
So if we have a good one in the right, the left is fine.. there looking for the batch of bad ones! 👍👍. Thanks HB!
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
What activates them then? I know the coyote had a retaining pin that you would remove to "activate" it. Is it like, once it sees oil pressure, it's all set?

Edit - now that I think of it, Im probably thinking of the primary tensioners.

Last edited:

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Whether it's a faulty part, or builder error, its effecting engines mainly built during the whole covid crisis and shutdown. Just wondering if that played a role in this. Both car manufacturing and parts manufacturing were shut down for several weeks, which might have led to sloppy work being done.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
One of the videos posted showed the guy pushing down on the tensioner after the
chain was installed and it popped up. Is that not how its done? I know you have done
yours, just curious. Thanks
Well, they do a have a plastic lock when brand new. But you have to physically remove it when installing, so it’s not possible to miss it as far as I know.

To install, you push down with it turn 90*, then slide the chains over and then turn the tensioner back 90* so it’s supporting the chain. None of this can be done with the plastic lock in place as far as I’m aware. I tried because it’s a bitch to push down.

So if we have a good one in the right, the left is fine.. there looking for the batch of bad ones! 👍👍. Thanks HB!
Not a 100% guarantee, but the odds are very good!

What activates them then? I know the coyote had a retaining pin that you would remove to "activate" it. Is it like, once it sees oil pressure, it's all set?

Edit - now that I think of it, Im probably thinking of the primary tensioners.
Yep. You’re thinking primary.

And they’re hydraulic just like the primary ones. So if they’re not tension-ing, they’re defective.

GT350HE29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350HE, 1966 Mustang Coupe, 1966 Corvette Sting Ray, 2014 F250
Performed the check according to the procedure. My first observation the tensioner was in the collapsed position. Began rotating the engine per procedure, checked tensioner position every 90’ of rotation until engine had traveled the full 255’, no change in the tensioner position.

Car background.
Purchased in May of 2020, presently at 2604 miles, never tracked (yet), driven moderate to aggressive definitely over 7500 rpm on occasion. Always has ran strong with no issue, however, I noticed before a slight blip at idle, nothing concerning and very rarely occurred. Car has been a blast to drive, owning a Shelby has been a desire since the first time I saw one in 1966, plan is this car is going nowhere and to be passed down to my son (enough of that).

The Pain.
Now I must contact my local dealership.
Questions are:
Are they competent enough to go into this engine? I will have this conversation. I have used them on other occasions and have reasonable confidence in them.
If it has compression issues, almost sounds like it is practically a near complete rebuild?
Is Ford allowing dealerships to do this?
Hopefully all this works out, I have 6yr/50,000 warranty, I think I ask for more for POM?

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
You really have no choice but to take it to the dealer.

They won't do a major rebuild, they will replace. The tensioner issue they can fix at the dealer.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So, maybe there never was a "bad" batch of valves? This would explain most of the Generation 2 Voodoo failures I've seen between here and FB.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Mine looks good. Blend date 9_8_2020
Sponsored