www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Does anyone see a grove?

grove2.jpg

grove1.jpg
Tough to see from your picture but it should look like two cylinders when activated with a groove for the second one. I would get someone to 100% verify. Can you get another picture with the mirror back a little so we can see the tensioner a little better?
Sponsored

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Well, mine for sure looks likes it's not activated but no recall or FSA listed on owner tools.....WTF.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
post pics

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Tough to see from your picture but it should look like two cylinders when activated with a groove for the second one. I would get someone to 100% verify. Can you get another picture with the mirror back a little so we can see the tensioner a little better?
Hello; The way it looks to me is there will be two metal cylinders when the part is activated. A smaller one inside the larger one, with the smaller one sticking out. I think the "grove" is not a machined notch or such, but where the smaller cylinder sticks out of the larger.

Question: Is this becoming perhaps the smoking gun sort of evidence that might explain some of the engine failures which have been discussed. Having proper chain tension on these quite long chains seems a critical thing.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Hello; The way it looks to me is there will be two metal cylinders when the part is activated. A smaller one inside the larger one, with the smaller one sticking out. I think the "grove" is not a machined notch or such, but where the smaller cylinder sticks out of the larger.

Question: Is this becoming perhaps the smoking gun sort of evidence that might explain some of the engine failures which have been discussed. Having proper chain tension on these quite long chains seems a critical thing.
I just went and checked mine again, it does appear that there is an inner cylinder which when activated results in the "groove." Mine looked identical to the Ford picture, I would say if you do not see that second cylinder, have it checked out as it may not be activated.

If you look over the service bulletin on the first page (second document) you can see that the unactivated is only a base with a single cylinder, when activated, the second cylinder pushes the tensioner upwards and causes the groove. Unfortunately, I checked mine with the fill tube in place, so I am not able to get a picture.

As far as the issues, I'm not sure whether anyone has confirmed that this is the issue yet.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
My guy just called me to say there is a new Inspection and Delivery Hold for the GT350 and GT500 engines - secondary cam chain tensioner.
Even though my GT500 fits the window, it’s not on the VIN specific list. I’m sure I would have noticed if I have this problem.
Added the Inspection Guide referenced in the notice.
Added the link to the Recall and TSB section of the sticky. Thanks @The Chairman :like:

RetiredFireCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition Package #L0350
Curiosity questions.......

- Why the replacement of the heads if not activated but in time?

- Is there a secondary tensioner on the OTHER side?

Thanks

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Don't run the motor!
Hello; Yes to this . If the chain tension is not right a number of things can happen and pretty much all will be bad.
II was looking at a VW GTI a couple of years ago. I decided not to get one an later discovered VW has gone back to the internal timing belts. It seems they were having too many failures with the metal chain design and gave up on it. Not sure if their issue was with the tensioners.

Sponsored

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe just barely activated? Hell if I can tell but there is ZERO give on the chain itself.

20210429_085655.jpg
20210429_090737.jpg

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Damn, well thats around where mine is. do you know when your build date was? I got mine back in August, but it was built sometime in May/June.

At least you were able to catch it early and it lasted this long.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is sort like this only the channel or grove is a lot lower.
No telling brother. I do keep mine above 4k once warm and have kept her above 5.5k for 30 -40 minutes at a time on some 'nice' places to do so. I wish they would have given a GO - NO GO measurement.
Sponsored