Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350

Wraith272

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I think mine might be activated? I can just see the groove on mine, almost level with the outer ring, but definitely not showing as much of the shaft as the other pics seen in this thread.

Screenshot 2021-04-27 193627.png

My engine builder appears to be James Williams

IMG-2165.JPG

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (Velocity Blue)
I think mine might be activated? I can just see the groove on mine, almost level with the outer ring, but definitely not showing as much of the shaft as the other pics seen in this thread.

I was literally getting ready to post the exact same thing, minus the picture, so thank you for including that.

I just went out and had a hell of a time getting my mirror in there and in a position to see, but from what I was able to see was exactly what @Wraith272 captured in his picture: the groove is visible, but nothing like the others' pictures have shown, including the computer-generated image in the document from Ford. The groove is maybe 1/16" out of its "socket".

Could it be that the piston with the groove, or whatever it is, rests in variable positions and it just all depends on where it was when the engine was shut down? Does it even move, or is it just a matter of down = off (not activated) and up = on (activated)?

Also, I really didn't like having my mirror's frame coming into contact with the chains and cam lobe while in there, trying to get a good angle to see: Am I justified in that concern, or is it nothing to worry about?

VoodooIdo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2020 Turbo GT350 and 93 Supercharged Lightning
I was literally getting ready to post the exact same thing, minus the picture, so thank you for including that.

I just went out and had a hell of a time getting my mirror in there and in a position to see, but from what I was able to see was exactly what @Wraith272 captured in his picture: the groove is visible, but nothing like the others' pictures have shown, including the computer-generated image in the document from Ford. The groove is maybe 1/16" out of its "socket".

Could it be that the piston with the groove, or whatever it is, rests in variable positions and it just all depends on where it was when the engine was shut down? Does it even move, or is it just a matter of down = off (not activated) and up = on (activated)?

Also, I really didn't like having my mirror's frame coming into contact with the chains and cam lobe while in there, trying to get a good angle to see: Am I justified in that concern, or is it nothing to worry about?

Sponsored

hbjones65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 (Chassis No. L0244) - HEP
I suspect the secondary chain tensioner must move up and down (or in and out) depending on position of the valve train as the engine goes through its 4-cycles. I noticed in the step-by-step instructions (Step 3) that if one can't tell whether or not the secondary chain tensioner has been activated, to unmount the coolant degas tank and to rotate the crank from 12 o'clock to 8:30 and to try the mirror inspection again...that tells me that it must move as the crankshaft rotates. Why 12 o'clock to 8:30, I have no idea. Ha Ha

I wouldn't be too worried about bumping or lightly tapping the mirror around inside the valve cover against the timing chain, but I was more worried about my $1.99 telescoping mirror coming apart in there. That thought did cross my mind and gave me pause. Ha Ha

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I meant that the article says to just check one side (RH) to determine if the car will require repairs.

There is a tensioner on each bank, one on RH and one on LH side.

Maybe I'm missing something. Just seems they want to check one side because it's the easy side to check...but the problem has 2 opportunities for occurring, one on each side :)
Do you need to do something special to see it on the other side?

Sponsored

RetiredFireCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition Package #L0350
Anyone that had a "safe" pic, and then start it and see if the position changes (more groove less groove)?
Thanks

I suspect the secondary chain tensioner must move up and down (or in and out) depending on position of the valve train as the engine goes through its 4-cycles. I noticed in the step-by-step instructions (Step 3) that if one can't tell whether or not the secondary chain tensioner has been activated, to unmount the coolant degas tank and to rotate the crank from 12 o'clock to 8:30 and to try the mirror inspection again...that tells me that it must move as the crankshaft rotates. Why 12 o'clock to 8:30, I have no idea. Ha Ha

I wouldn't be too worried about bumping or lightly tapping the mirror around inside the valve cover against the timing chain, but I was more worried about my $1.99 telescoping mirror coming apart in there. That thought did cross my mind and gave me pause. Ha Ha

Last edited: