Sponsored

TSB for Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Hello; yes the "fix" for a manual was not so bad since you could do it when the clutch was serviced. I have links saved to sites with fairly detailed information about replacing the bearing. It can be got to with the flywheel removed. I do recall mention of a superior bearing.
Yes to consider one of the 2008 and older cars I would want some documentation the "fix" has been done. For what it is worth the 2008 model is reported to be much more rare in terms of failures from a rear bearing failure. The factory may have made an upgrade. Even so I still look at a 2009 or later if one shows up near me for sale.
The bigger issues for me is in a Mustang I can have a spare tire and it is American made.

Well the safest way to have a no fear of the IMS issue is to go turbo or GT cars as they have no IMS design. AS for the spare tire .. my Shelby did not have one. Ha!
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Well the safest way to have a no fear of the IMS issue is to go turbo or GT cars as they have no IMS design. AS for the spare tire .. my Shelby did not have one. Ha!
Hello; Yes Porsche has been making special editions with the flat six at very high prices.
Don't know about the Shelby but GT's have a place where a spare can be placed. You have to order what use to be standard equipment. I had considered getting a spare for a Cayman and putting it in the rear but realized the space was not there.
Hope it works out for you I still get flats.

Doran

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350, 2017 gt350. 2007 gt500 2005 gt
Just got a call from the Dealership where I dropped my 20 GT350 off this morning. The tensioner is not activated. I feel about half sick. I have 2400 km’s on the car, broke in properly but some heavy driving after that. Car run amazing . I was certain mine was ok because it has run so well. Now the wait!

italman1285

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Just got a call from the Dealership where I dropped my 20 GT350 off this morning. The tensioner is not activated. I feel about half sick. I have 2400 km’s on the car, broke in properly but some heavy driving after that. Car run amazing . I was certain mine was ok because it has run so well. Now the wait!
If your engine was running good, it will probably be still in time. Don't have to worry so much is still in time.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
If it makes you feel any better I had ~ 6,500 km (4,000 miles) before I took mine in and it wasn't activated. I was not easy on the car at all after break in. Even when I drove it to the dealership it was fine..

I'd be more worried about the dealership than the car itself. As long as you trust them you'll be in good hands. Mine got fixed in 48 hours.

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
Has anyone had the case where one tensioner was activated and the other wasn't? And....has anyone had the case where the passenger side (side checked in the TSB) was activated and the driver side was not? Like others on this thread I am not comfortable with the possibility of a bad part on the driver side even though my passenger side checked out as activated.

Doran

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350, 2017 gt350. 2007 gt500 2005 gt
If it makes you feel any better I had ~ 6,500 km (4,000 miles) before I took mine in and it wasn't activated. I was not easy on the car at all after break in. Even when I drove it to the dealership it was fine..

I'd be more worried about the dealership than the car itself. As long as you trust them you'll be in good hands. Mine got fixed in 48 hours.
Sounds exactly like my situation.I sure hope I have the same outcome as you. They have worked on my other cars but nothing to the extent of what might be involved here. They are the only Shelby dealership in my area. Thanks for the feedback. Fingers crossed!

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone had the case where one tensioner was activated and the other wasn't? And....has anyone had the case where the passenger side (side checked in the TSB) was activated and the driver side was not? Like others on this thread I am not comfortable with the possibility of a bad part on the driver side even though my passenger side checked out as activated.
I picked up my car today and asked the service manager that. The chain was not activated but the timing was still good.

I asked him your question and he used different verbiage. It seems like its only possible for the driver side to be activated or not. I don't really know this stuff works so I don't know really what to ask. It seems like the 2nd chain on the passenger is for tension and timing its not like "its activated or not" but idk. If your aren't on the recall list then I wouldn't worry. If you still feel uncomfortable then try taking it in. Sorry I can't be of much help.

Sponsored

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
I picked up my car today and asked the service manager that. The chain was not activated but the timing was still good.

I asked him your question and he used different verbiage. It seems like its only possible for the driver side to be activated or not. I don't really know this stuff works so I don't know really what to ask. It seems like the 2nd chain on the passenger is for tension and timing its not like "its activated or not" but idk. If your aren't on the recall list then I wouldn't worry. If you still feel uncomfortable then try taking it in. Sorry I can't be of much help.
Did they let you leave with the tensioner (or tensioners) not activated? TSB range or not, if the component is not functional, they should follow that TSB.

...or am I reading your message incorrectly?

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (Velocity Blue)
So I just went out and did the "oil prime" procedure, and the tensioner's "piston" certainly did move out, although barely:

Before priming:
20210518_165758.jpg

After priming:
20210518_180944.jpg

I'd say it extended a further 1/32" or so from before, for maybe a total of 3/32" or 1/8" of extension of the "groove" out of its cylinder.

To see if it would move out any more, I primed the oil three more times, checking the tensioner piston each time between priming, and it didn't move out any further from what's shown above.

I also checked my VIN again and it's still clear of any recalls.

I'll check it again after the next time I take the car out, but from what's shown, would you guys say I'm in the clear or should I still be leary of it? I mean, the groove/tensioner piston is still nowhere near as extended as some guys' are in past posts.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
So I just went out and did the "oil prime" procedure, and the tensioner's "piston" certainly did move out, although barely:

Before priming:
20210518_165758.jpg

After priming:
20210518_180944.jpg

I'd say it extended a further 1/32" or so from before, for maybe a total of 3/32" or 1/8" of extension of the "groove" out of its cylinder.

To see if it would move out any more, I primed the oil three more times, checking the tensioner piston each time between priming, and it didn't move out any further from what's shown above.

I'll check it again after the next time I take the car out, but from what's shown, would you guys say I'm in the clear or should I still be leary of it? I mean, the groove/tensioner piston is still nowhere near as extended as some guys' are in past posts.
Looks good to me!

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they let you leave with the tensioner (or tensioners) not activated? TSB range or not, if the component is not functional, they should follow that TSB.

...or am I reading your message incorrectly?
No they didn't, they fixed both chains

What I was saying is that I think its not possible for the driver side only to be activated (meaning the passenger side not activated).

GT350HE29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350HE, 1966 Mustang Coupe, 1966 Corvette Sting Ray, 2014 F250

Before priming:
20210518_165758.jpg

After priming:
20210518_180944.jpg

Before I took our car in the ring I see in your picture was not visible at all on my tensioner. It could just be the position where your engine stopped. May want to have the dealer check it out for POM.

Got it back yesterday, the new tensioner is extended more than I see on yours, the new timing chain definitely does not have the slackness I noticed before.

I took it on about a 50+ mile road trip, all vitals looked normal, Temps, OP, and fluid levels. Gave it a good look over under the hood before I left the dealership to see if everything was back in place. Performance felt as good as ever. Maybe psychological, it does seem smother at idle so far and I stopped for fuel and it seemed to fire up quicker. I will be noting this when I make a cold start. Not that it ever turned over excessively before, it just fired as soon as I depressed the button that time
Sponsored