TSB for Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner

jabberwoki

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
69 428 CJ Mach 1 , 2020 gt350
Just found out about this. I`ve had no contact from Ford at all.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Just found out about this. I`ve had no contact from Ford at all.
Neither has a lot of us. Just do the check yourself for peace of mind with a little mirror.
It's easy.

Sponsored

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
Why is some of the emphasis being shifted to "who built the engine"?

I'm not asking out of ignorance - but I don't think that should be a correlation to the problem.
I think it's because the recall is for " improperly installed secondary timing chain tensioners." https://mustangforums.com/articles/ford-recalls-2020-shelby-gt350-gt500/

There may be one or more builders that this applies to......the recall covers the period December 2, 2019 to December 16, 2020 (over a year) but only some of us are getting notified of the recall. Again, maybe Ford has identified that one or more of the builders didn't properly activate the tensioners. This would also explain why the TSB says to check one side (the easy one) rather than both.......maybe the assumption is that if the builder did a proper install on one side they also did it on the other.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I've checked it cold, hot, turning engine by hand, stopping/starting engine, cranking engine through oil priming method, etc. It's all the same. However, I will try pushing down on the tensioner next time I'm taking it out. Nothing to lose by trying, I hope.
If you do that then don't you need to check/activate the other side?

Blong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blong
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Neither has a lot of us. Just do the check yourself for peace of mind with a little mirror.
It's easy.
My build date fell within those December dates but I did not get a message on my Fordpass either. Anyways, I checked it myself with a small mirror and can see the groove so I'm guessing I'm ok.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
My build date fell within those December dates but I did not get a message on my Fordpass either. Anyways, I checked it myself with a small mirror and can see the groove so I'm guessing I'm ok.
Nothing on my fordpass either and nothing when I put my vin into the link with Ford.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
If you do that then don't you need to check/activate the other side?
Hello; I think the answer to your question is an open one right now. I guess the thinking is if the one you see is good then the other should be also. An iffy sort of way to look at it, but apparently there is no easy way to check the other side.

Sponsored

Weather756

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hello; I think the answer to your question is an open one right now. I guess the thinking is if the one you see is good then the other should be also. An iffy sort of way to look at it, but apparently there is no easy way to check the other side.
Just passed inspection on the activation at the Ford Dealer. Once the tech found the right size mirror took less than 1 minte to check.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
looks good to me, I see both cylinders and if you compare it to the TSB, it matches up.

Hello everyone. I think I am good, right? Please see pic. I have an appointment for Thursday afternoon. Anyone know how long this should take for them to check? Do they look at it with a mirror like we have or are there other diagnostics that they run?

Also, anyone know who built my engine? One of those signatures that you can only make out the initials.

Thank you all!

IMG_20210504_205327.jpg

IMG_20210504_205331.jpg

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Why is some of the emphasis being shifted to "who built the engine"?

I'm not asking out of ignorance - but I don't think that should be a correlation to the problem.
It shouldn't be. These parts are fairly dummy proof.

I think it's because the recall is for " improperly installed secondary timing chain tensioners." https://mustangforums.com/articles/ford-recalls-2020-shelby-gt350-gt500/

There may be one or more builders that this applies to......the recall covers the period December 2, 2019 to December 16, 2020 (over a year) but only some of us are getting notified of the recall. Again, maybe Ford has identified that one or more of the builders didn't properly activate the tensioners. This would also explain why the TSB says to check one side (the easy one) rather than both.......maybe the assumption is that if the builder did a proper install on one side they also did it on the other.
Article is misinterpreting the TSB. Here's the actual language:

1620236411709.png

No focus on the actual builder. It's a faulty part. If you look deeper into the TSB, the first thing they recommend doing is replacing the tensioner. It's definitely a faulty part, not a poorly installed part.