Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
@Epiphany
Tob, I was going through the repair procedure called out in the bulletin and and noticed this, it made me wonder if the drivers side chain tensioner could also have the problem.

Tob is there any chance that you may have received one of the problem tensioners, the rotation before activation would explain why the some of the tensioners did not activate normally and why pushing down on them during the inspection wasn't even mentioned?

6. Replace both the RH and LH Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner, Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner Shoes/Guides, and the Secondary Timing Chains. On the affected side(s), replace the Pistons, Connecting Rods, Cylinder Head. Please follow the WSM procedures in section 303-01. This completes this recall.

7. Replace both the RH and LH Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner, Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner Shoes/Guides, and the Secondary Timing Chains. On the affected side(s), replace the Cylinder Head.
Please follow the WSM procedures in section 303-01. This completes this recall.
Secondary Cam Guide Chain Inspection - R21B263.pdf
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my uneducated guess, as to what Ford is up to....

I imagine IF they could, they would check the status of the tensioner on BOTH sides. Since there is an easy way to see the passenger side, they have decided to assume that IF the engine builder activated the passenger side, they PROBABLY activated the the drivers side.

The ole' law of averages kinda thing.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Another theory is that if the passenger side has been actuated, the drivers side tensioner was probably in the same batch as the passenger side and it was actuated by just pushing it down to unlock. The problem on the builder side was that they didn't notice that it had not been activated. There is no way of rotating the tensioner cylinder once the the tensioner has been installed.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP

I imagine IF they could, they would check the status of the tensioner on BOTH sides. Since there is an easy way to see the passenger side, they have decided to assume that IF the engine builder activated the passenger side, they PROBABLY activated the the drivers side.

The ole' law of averages kinda thing.
Agreed! However, I may still remove the valve cover on the drivers side to verify.. I want to order a new o-ring gasket before I take it apart.. I thought about putting a small hole in the valve cover that can be easily sealed, but I’ll wait for the o-ring.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
@Epiphany
Tob is there any chance that you may have received one of the problem tensioners, the rotation before activation would explain why the some of the tensioners did not activate normally and why pushing down on them during the inspection wasn't even mentioned?
I've not heard of an issue regarding these specific tensioners themselves. I honestly believe this was all installer error.

From what I understand, this is indeed Ford's mindset. That would lead me to believe that their confidence level in some of the Niche Line workers is high and that it is very low with at least one of the workers. It'd be nice to hear from somebody there at some point to clarify but I suspect we may not hear anything for a bit as it could be ugly on their end.

There is no way of rotating the tensioner cylinder once the the tensioner has been installed.
The cylinder should never need to be rotated though, just the piston inside - if at all.

Agreed! However, I may still remove the valve cover on the drivers side to verify.. I want to order a new o-ring gasket before I take it apart.. I thought about putting a small hole in the valve cover that can be easily sealed, but I’ll wait for the o-ring.
There are a number of weld on caps that are very tasteful and subtle as well as bolt on (once you drill the hole). I could see using this one if you are pulling the cover, and it would allow periodic inspection of the guide too. Reviews are all positive to boot.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Valv...EGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE

Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Posted in the 350 section, but posting here as well

Best pic I can get, but I believe that’s the grove. Can a second set of eyes confirm?

ACA86E8A-8C68-488E-9588-6859644872CB.jpeg

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Posted in the 350 section, but posting here as well

Best pic I can get, but I believe that’s the grove. Can a second set of eyes confirm?

ACA86E8A-8C68-488E-9588-6859644872CB.jpeg
Looks good to me.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk

Sponsored

COZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Loaner, 2021 GT500 on order, 1969 Mach1
checked mine tonight - all good. Evan Bradley was my builder.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Since I have nothing but time while waiting for my car, I did some research. I just purchased this Bluetooth endoscope to get a look at my cam tensioner.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NJ8627...abc_CFMAPW6GPR8PPF1C13S0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Needed? Not for the passenger side, because you can simply put a mirror down the oil fill hole.

My suspicion is that I can snake this camera through the drivers side PCV hole. As you can see in the pictures below, the PCV hole is close enough, and the camera cable is flexible enough to make this probably doable

1BFC0DDF-BE72-4166-8741-FED1B5551D62.jpeg

2A937E6E-4E53-44A3-980D-81B2FB84645B.jpeg

I can think of countless other uses for this camera, so buying it is WELL worth it to me. Money well spent.

I won’t have my car for a couple more months, so perhaps someone else here will get to this before me. Keep us posted.

PS: Also, who wouldn’t want to perform their own colonoscopies?

Last edited:

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Since I have nothing but time while waiting for my car, I did some research. I just purchased this Bluetooth endoscope to get a look at my cam tensioner.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NJ8627...abc_CFMAPW6GPR8PPF1C13S0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Needed? Not for the passenger side, because you can simply put a mirror down the oil fill hole.

My suspicion is that I can snake this camera through the drivers side PCV hole. As you can see in the pictures below, the PCV hole is close enough, and the camera cable is flexible enough to make this probably doable

1BFC0DDF-BE72-4166-8741-FED1B5551D62.jpeg

2A937E6E-4E53-44A3-980D-81B2FB84645B.jpeg

I can think of countless other uses for this camera, so buying it is WELL worth it to me. Money well spent.

I won’t have my car for a couple more months, so perhaps someone else here will get to this before me. Keep us posted.

PS: Also, who wouldn’t want to perform their own colonoscopies?
Would SA check this for you while the car is there?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Would SA check this for you while the car is there?
I suppose they would if I asked. I’m more interested in them just speeding along on what the car is there for. I don’t want to ask for anything that would delay it even one second longer, lol.

That, and technically my car does not fall into this service advisement. It was built in November 2019, and delivered to me in December 2019. I just want to look at it for my own piece of mind.

Not to mention do it yourself colonoscopies.

Last edited:

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
I need a better endoscope, but here is a pic of my 2020 GT360R which is not on the list. Looks good to me.

I tried going down the PVC on the driver's side - no go.

D.

IMG_8819.JPG
Sponsored