Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
How does it compare to the filler cap? Does the filler cap screw into the same hole?
It’s the same. I put the cap on in place of the filler tube.
Sponsored

Dcgtconv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryl
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500KR, 2009 GT500KR, '69Mach1 SCJ, '68 Conv
I ordered a similar camera scope from Amazon last night, should be here tomorrow. This problem is disturbing to say the least. Crossing my fingers. Will let you know what I find.

Here's one solution: The inspection camera has a tiny mirror attachment, set at 45 deg. on the tip. It gave me a slightly out of focus image, but was good enough to see that the plunger was extended. These cameras are $75 at Harbor Freight, and can be found for under $50 at discount outlets. These suckers pay for themselves when you're in a pinch.

20210427_115204.jpg

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jaime, do you have a picture of the tube, I would like to see how it is attached, is it attached like the cap? Which would mean no locking tab.
I am starting my traveling home from Vegas. I was going to send you some pictures of my extension, but it has already been posted here.

There is a locking tab and it will break off. Luckily mine was still hanging on by a small piece.
And no, the piece you see in the pic is not the locking tab. It’s another piece that sheared off.
I can tell you that none of this happened to me. My feeble brain cannot remember how I took it off. I either just twisted it off, or possibly used a pic to lift a tab…… I don’t remember, LOL

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Well I finally decide to call my dentist and see what size mirrors he used and he uses a #4 dental mirror which works like a charm. His assistant looked in their dental graveyard and found a used one and gave it to me. You can't beat that with a big stick. The O.D. is 7/8" and it works without having to remove the filler extension. My car is good to go.

Thanks @The Chairman for posting the bulletin and Jeff @Houston Kid for taken a bullet for the team and posting a picture of the carnage and the multiple views of the inspection area..

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am starting my traveling home from Vegas. I was going to send you some pictures of my extension, but it has already been posted here.

I can tell you that none of this happened to me. My feeble brain cannot remember how I took it off. I either just twisted it off, or possibly used a pic to lift a tab…… I don’t remember, LOL
I tried to use a small screw driver and a pick but I could not get any lift on the tab trying those. So damn the torpedo's and to turning I went and snap went the tab. It was a definite snap and the tab was almost part of the timing system. Thank goodness it did not drop in. I am guessing had it, being a small plastic piece, it in all likely hood would not have caused any issues and would have ended up in the oil filter eventually albeit in small pieces.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I checked my October 2020 GT500 build today using my friend’s borescope and it looks to be ok per Ford’s document. The VIN was marked in Ford’s system as potentially impacted so I’m relieved. I’ll eventually go to the dealer at some point so Ford is officially notified it’s ok.

Last edited:

ABADHBT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Iconic Silver
Vehicle Showcase
WOW! I'm not sure if I'm excited, relieved, and/or scared sh!tless to take to the dealer and trust they will do this.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Mine was built 11/6 but not released until 12/09. Guessing I’m in the clear????
I would recommend checking it, very easy to do and worth knowing that your car is ok.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I've run my car flat out, I hope its ok.....
Me too. Many times!
I think if an engine had this assembly error, the chain would have slipped under even a medium load and caused the valve damage. So the engine damage would happen early in its life. If you’ve hit 7,000+ rpm and not broken, you’re probably OK.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me too. Many times!
I think if an engine had this assembly error, the chain would have slipped under even a medium load and caused the valve damage. So the engine damage would happen early in its life. If you’ve hit 7,000+ rpm and not broken, you’re probably OK.
I concur. My car too has been run very hard on several track days and high RPM. Have yet to hit 181 mph but getting in the neighborhood.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
WOW! I'm not sure if I'm excited, relieved, and/or scared sh!tless to take to the dealer and trust they will do this.
The dealer can't do anything until your VIN shows up in their system. Ford isn't even going to notify the potentially affected customers until after May 20, 2021. So you can sit back wondering if your car has the problem and drive it around until it might drop a valve or you can get a #4 dental mirror for a couple of bucks and check it out for yourself. I know that I feel a lot better knowing that my car is safe to drive.

Remember, the Bulletin that @The Chairman posted was not meant for us to see, it was to advise the dealers who had new 2020 GT350/500's in their inventory that they could not sell those cars until the inspection was performed and logged with Ford.

It takes longer to open the hood than it takes to do the inspection.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
Me too. Many times!
I believe your right, it seems that most of the engine problems that may be associated with this bulletin happened in under 300 miles, I think I remember reading about one that happened between 30 to 50 miles.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer can't do anything until your VIN shows up in their system. Ford isn't even going to notify the potentially affected customers until after May 20, 2021. So you can sit back wondering if your car has the problem and drive it around until it might drop a valve or you can get a #4 dental mirror for a couple of bucks and check it out for yourself. I know that I feel a lot better knowing that my car is safe to drive.

Remember, the Bulletin that @The Chairman posted was not meant for us to see, it was to advise the dealers who had new 2020 GT350/500's in their inventory that they could not sell those cars until the inspection was performed and logged with Ford.

It takes longer to open the hood than it takes to do the inspection.
Finally! A use for a dental tool that isn’t torture.
Sponsored