TSB 19-2026: Aluminum Panel Corrosion

Mariner46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Got a text just a bit ago that they're ordering me a hood.
Hi Jeremy: I have the hood rust problem on my 2016 Ecoboost Premium and my local dealer refuses to honor the TSB 20-2233 saying it does not apply to a Mustang out of paint warranty. Would you be willing to share with me a copy of the text you received from Ford confirming they are replacing your hood? I think that could be the ammo I need to convince the powers to be that they owe me a new hood per this latest TSB
Thanks in advance,
George
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Hi Jeremy: I have the hood rust problem on my 2016 Ecoboost Premium and my local dealer refuses to honor the TSB 20-2233 saying it does not apply to a Mustang out of paint warranty. Would you be willing to share with me a copy of the text you received from Ford confirming they are replacing your hood? I think that could be the ammo I need to convince the powers to be that they owe me a new hood per this latest TSB
Thanks in advance,
George
If the service manager at that dealership can't understand the TSB and the warranty coverage for your 2016 and see that it's not part of the paint warranty, then he should probably find a new job. Did he have the TSB and 2016 warranty info in front of him?

The warranty is about corrosion of aluminum panels ... not anything to do with the paint.

I explained the difference in warranty details between the 2015 and 2016+ models here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...um-panel-corrosion.117031/page-3#post-2487034

Notice the warranty statement for 2016+ talks both about metal (ie, steel) and aluminum panels. It specifically says that the aluminum panels only have to show corrosion and do NOT have to be perforated to be covered under warranty. The metal (steel) panels however DO need to show perforation to be covered.

2016+ Corrosion Warranty Statement
2016-mustang-corrosion-warranty-statement-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Mariner46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
If the service manager at that dealership can't understand the TSB and the warranty coverage for your 2016 and see that it's not part of the paint warranty, then he should probably find a new job. Did he have the TSB and 2016 warranty info in front of him?

The warranty is about corrosion of aluminum panels ... not anything to do with the paint.

I explained the difference in warranty details between the 2015 and 2016+ models here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...um-panel-corrosion.117031/page-3#post-2487034

Notice the warranty statement for 2016+ talks both about metal (ie, steel) and aluminum panels. It specifically says that the aluminum panels only have to show corrosion and do NOT have to be perforated to be covered under warranty. The metal (steel) panels however DO need to show perforation to be covered.

2016+ Corrosion Warranty Statement
2016-mustang-corrosion-warranty-statement-jpg.jpg
Thanks for your quick and detailed reply. I agree with your message. Also, at the risk of being a pest, can I ask if you would share a copy of the ford text confirming your new hood?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Thanks for your quick and detailed reply. I agree with your message. Also, at the risk of being a pest, can I ask if you would share a copy of the ford text confirming your new hood?
I've never had any hood corrosion. Just giving info in this thread to clear up any confusion.

If your dealer can't figure it out correctly, then I would call Ford directly and have them straighten out the dealership on the warranty coverage.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So how would this repair work if you have a factory stripe?
If the vehicle is. 2016+, has a factory stripe on an affected aluminum panel which is getting replaced as outlined under Ford's Paint and Corrosion Warranty found in your Owner's Manual (OR the TSB outlined in this thread), then Ford is obligated to reapply that stripe to the same panel "as built".

If the factory stripe (over the hood/roof/trunk or on lower rocker) is in the direct path of a needed paint surface repair (not panel replacement for corrosion), again that stripe should be reapplied "as built" if the work was an authorized warranty repair.

If the vehicle is factory striped and is beyond the Paint & Corrosion Warranty period OR the affected area is not warrantable per what is in your Owner's Manual, repairs are 100% out of pocket. Depending on the shop doing the paint work, factory stripe replacement at this stage may be an additional expense OR combined within the total cost of the paint repair - every body shop has different policies and procedures.

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
So I have a 15, and am totally screwed. Need a new hood. Should I just buy the factory hood off the Internet for $1100? Basically, should I expect the fitment to be pretty much perfect with an OEM hood, thus being pretty easy for a simpleton like me to install?
You know the dealership is gonna charge double everything.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
My 2019 R has the bubbling paint on the leading edge of the hood, near the driver’s side headlight.

i plan on bringing the car to a dealer along with the printed TSB to have the hood replaced under warranty.

I have paint protection film on the hood and I’m wondering if I should take it off before bringing the car to the dealership for them to look at it.

Did any of you that had the aluminum corrosion issue have PPF on the panel? If so, did you remove it before bringing the car to the dealer?

Pitholer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1 6M Orange Fury
My 2019 R has the bubbling paint on the leading edge of the hood, near the driver’s side headlight.

i plan on bringing the car to a dealer along with the printed TSB to have the hood replaced under warranty.

I have paint protection film on the hood and I’m wondering if I should take it off before bringing the car to the dealership for them to look at it.

Did any of you that had the aluminum corrosion issue have PPF on the panel? If so, did you remove it before bringing the car to the dealer?
Hey there, I'm sorry to hear about the bubbling that you have. A while ago I posted in this forum will bubbling I saw on the underside of my hood and I have ppf on my orange mustang. However it has not changed in a few years and I'm starting to think it is seam sealer that was just a really bad job. Hopefully yours is the same. So to answer your question I did not have to get a repaired yet so I did not take the ppf off

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

Hi, sorry to hear about your hood. My car had ppf on the hood (full wrap) when the issue was reviewed by the dealer. It was covered under warranty. Ford did not cover the initial ppf install citing it was not done through them.

Sponsored

Ginger1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium

Our 18 does not have PPF. Bubbling started in the past few weeks. However, it is not on the leading edge like most people. It is in multiple places on the edge facing the windshield. Looks like it started on the underside of the hood and is now wrapping around the edge and almost to the point where it is visible from the top of the hood. Note this car is garaged and hand washed and waxed.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
Our 18 does not have PPF. Bubbling started in the past few weeks. However, it is not on the leading edge like most people. It is in multiple places on the edge facing the windshield. Looks like it started on the underside of the hood and is now wrapping around the edge and almost to the point where it is visible from the top of the hood. Note this car is garaged and hand washed and waxed.
My car is also hand washed (by me only) and I get it waxed every year in the fall before it gets put away for the winter.

Hi, sorry to hear about your hood. My car had ppf on the hood (full wrap) when the issue was reviewed by the dealer. It was covered under warranty. Ford did not cover the initial ppf install citing it was not done through them.
The dealer didn't give you a hard time for having PPF on the affected pannel when you presented your claim?

Did they replace your hood or repaint?

I'm concerned that they might try to weasel their way out of covering the replacement because I have PPF on the hood. I'm not expecting them to cover the application of PPF on the new hood.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
I also have this issue, 2016 RS3 / 20k miles noticed all the bubbles on the hood lip last month ,75k car and this is B.S. I wonder if Chevrolet SS & Hellcats have this issue? FORD step up and take care of your future CUSTOMERS...
My 2016 challenger hellcat had this same issue on the leading edge of the hood last spring.

They also have a TSB for it. They will only repair the affected area, they won't replace the hood. My hellcat is a 2016, I discovered the issue last spring right before the 5 year warranty expired, I got lucky as far as timing.

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
My car is also hand washed (by me only) and I get it waxed every year in the fall before it gets put away for the winter.

The dealer didn't give you a hard time for having PPF on the affected pannel when you presented your claim?

Did they replace your hood or repaint?

I'm concerned that they might try to weasel their way out of covering the replacement because I have PPF on the hood. I'm not expecting them to cover the application of PPF on the new hood.
Hi, no issues with the ppf, the dealer and approval of the claim. The hood was replaced. Ppf application has nothing to do with the issue. Issue is the result of iron particles imbedded in aluminum from manufacturing process and starts below the paint. Good luck. You should be fine. If not, call a ford CSR and they will straighten the dealer out.

Looks like this issue persists on the 18 plus cars now per this thread. Question is with the new hood will that start to corrode after 4 years?

Last edited:

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
Hi, no issues with the ppf, the dealer and approval of the claim. The hood was replaced. Ppf application has nothing to do with the issue. Issue is the result of iron particles imbedded in aluminum from manufacturing process and starts below the paint. Good luck. You should be fine. If not, call a ford CSR and they will straighten the dealer out.

Looks like this issue persists on the 18 plus cars now per this thread. Question is with the new hood will that start to corrode after 4 years?
I'm trying to avoid going through the hassle of removing the PPF myself before bringing the car to the dealer. I'm concerned because dealers these days are so slimmy that it wouldn't surprise me if they used the PPF I have on the hood to deny my warranty claim. I know I can call Ford if that happens and bitch..........but who wants to deal with that headache.

Thank you for the feedback. Hopefully the replacement panels don't shit the bed in 3-4 years like the original hood did.
Sponsored