TSB 19-2026: Aluminum Panel Corrosion

Pitholer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1 6M Orange Fury
So I'm hoping that mine on my Mustang are sloppy seam sealant, but on my Explorer, in the first year I had simple bubbling and I immediately got a new hood, here in the Toronto area. Fingers crossed, the new hood has been 2 years now no bubbles
Sponsored

ck80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amy & Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang; 2014 Mustang; other non-mustangs
When this first happened a couple of years ago they were so small I just said in the back of my head if it stays like that I'll just deal with it and now 5+ years later I have not one or two blisters but 5 on my hood and 1 right above my driver side rear fender! I'll probably have to get it wrapped this summer and it's so disappointing to see how Ford isn't even honoring this defect even after 5 years and mine's a 2016! It's already bad enough as it is I had MAJOR issues buying this car from Kanata Ford with a horrible experience and now have to worry about this blistering just popping up everywhere on my hood and side fender in the rear, now where's the next one gonna come out? Went to Carling Ford "I haven't heard anything about that?", Richmond Ford "Sorry that's only for 3 years!"...

20210418_140204.jpg
20210418_140143.jpg
20210418_140154.jpg
20210418_140223.jpg
20210418_140230.jpg
20210418_140253.jpg
Try another dealer, bring in your owners manual, and take the tsb.

My wife's 2016 just got a new hood a couple months ago.

At first the guy thought it needed perforation until we told him about the tsb. He pit the claim into Ford warranty with far smaller corner bubbles than yours, but we waited until 6 days prior to 5 yr anniversary of the in service date so hopefully it lasts as long as possible going forward.

kai20035

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter Who
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Try another dealer, bring in your owners manual, and take the tsb.

My wife's 2016 just got a new hood a couple months ago.

At first the guy thought it needed perforation until we told him about the tsb. He pit the claim into Ford warranty with far smaller corner bubbles than yours, but we waited until 6 days prior to 5 yr anniversary of the in service date so hopefully it lasts as long as possible going forward.
Thanks for the heads up but I've read in other conversations that Ford was extending it to 5 years from 3 years but I'm also a couple of months passed that unless you've seen a new TSB that overrides the previous ones?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Thanks for the heads up but I've read in other conversations that Ford was extending it to 5 years from 3 years but I'm also a couple of months passed that unless you've seen a new TSB that overrides the previous ones?
Pretty sure the panel corrosion warranty was always 5 years.

kai20035

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter Who
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Pretty sure the panel corrosion warranty was always 5 years.
Thought so too and I guess it'll be getting wrapped shortly! Funny how when I bought my new Accord in 2000 Honda also has paint issues, what luck huh!

Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
When this first happened a couple of years ago they were so small I just said in the back of my head if it stays like that I'll just deal with it and now 5+ years later I have not one or two blisters but 5 on my hood and 1 right above my driver side rear fender! I'll probably have to get it wrapped this summer and it's so disappointing to see how Ford isn't even honoring this defect even after 5 years and mine's a 2016! It's already bad enough as it is I had MAJOR issues buying this car from Kanata Ford with a horrible experience and now have to worry about this blistering just popping up everywhere on my hood and side fender in the rear, now where's the next one gonna come out? Went to Carling Ford "I haven't heard anything about that?", Richmond Ford "Sorry that's only for 3 years!"...

20210418_140204.jpg
20210418_140143.jpg
20210418_140154.jpg
20210418_140223.jpg
20210418_140230.jpg
20210418_140253.jpg
This issue became noticeable on my 2016 with 1 month left on my warranty. (Hood and passenger side fender)When I first went to the dealer, the body shop mgr said
"Paint is only covered for 3 yr/36k. I had to show him the warranty guide that comes with the manual. He saw this and said "this is the first I've known that Ford extended this". He said he would send in a claim to Ford but he doubted they would cover it. He called me back about 6 days later and said Ford agreed to cover it and was ordering a new hood and passenger side fender. Got it fixed with 2 weeks to spare before my warranty was up.

ck80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amy & Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang; 2014 Mustang; other non-mustangs
Well, you MIGHT get some traction if you have proof in writing of the wrongful denial prior to the 5 years being up and proof in the form of pictures/documentation from prior to the 5 years...

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
I noticed this chip on my car yesterday. Car has 5k miles and no other chips anywhere. I wouldn’t have thought much of it and probably just touched it up until I noticed the bubbling around the chip which I thought was kinda odd. Then I noticed the white power under it when I pulled at the bubbled areas. Can this just be sanded with a pen sander and painted or will it continue to spread?

419D1A6F-0A8E-40E8-B223-FF9A9F976858.jpeg

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I noticed this chip on my car yesterday. Car has 5k miles and no other chips anywhere. I wouldn’t have thought much of it and probably just touched it up until I noticed the bubbling around the chip which I thought was kinda odd. Then I noticed the white power under it when I pulled at the bubbled areas. Can this just be sanded with a pen sander and painted or will it continue to spread?

419D1A6F-0A8E-40E8-B223-FF9A9F976858.jpeg
I've had good luck with sand as much away as needed and down to clean aluminum. Touch up fully with acid 8 self etching primer then top with duplicolor white which matched perfect. I wet sand and polish so it's Un noticeable.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
I've had good luck with sand as much away as needed and down to clean aluminum. Touch up fully with acid 8 self etching primer then top with duplicolor white which matched perfect. I wet sand and polish so it's Un noticeable.
Thanks. I’ll give that a try. Here is a picture under the hood.

212CCF94-22CE-468A-8691-3EBA83046DCF.jpeg

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I used a barrel sanding drum on a dremel for the underside to get rid of as much as I could find. I used the acid 8 and spot paint over all that too. Fingers crossed I keep it under control for a few years. I did this to my Infiniti G35 years ago and worked for the next 4 years I owned it.

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
2015 owner with considerable bubbling and exposed raw metal now in multiple locations on the hood and the inside seam of the driver's side door. Should I:

1) try to just remove the corrosion myself and wrap it and ignore it?
2) buy a new Ford hood
3) buy an aftermarket hood and look cool

This really sucks because I was really expecting this ride to be my old classic car in the shed that all the neighborhood kids talk about in 2060.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 owner with considerable bubbling and exposed raw metal now in multiple locations on the hood and the inside seam of the driver's side door. Should I:

2) buy a new Ford hood

This really sucks because I was really expecting this ride to be my old classic car in the shed that all the neighborhood kids talk about in 2060.
Instead of putting time and money into #1 ... do either #2 or #3.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6

2) buy a new Ford hood

I assume no extended warranty? Do you have "low" mileage? I thought I had read that "some" people with low mileage that were able to show they take care of their car were able to work with Ford on splitting the costs. If your able to do the work yourself and can find a wrap to really match the rest of the paint I'd go that route if it's cheaper. I'd would look into the cost of either a Ford or aftermarket hood, then see what a local shop will charge to paint it. It all depends on how "anal" you are about it and what you want to spend. Luckily mine happened 3 months before warranty was up. "IF" it had been out of warranty I would have probably got an aftermarket hood. Good Luck!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ I don't think an extended warranty would cover it.
Sponsored