Sponsored

TSB 19-2026: Aluminum Panel Corrosion

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
2019 Orange Fury owner here... My car was made in April 2019 so it is only 13 months old and this is what i found under the hood. This adds to my 2017 Explorer which also has the same issue. The dealership said I can get a new hood no problem but I JUST got the whole hood covered with PPF for like $1000. What the hell for? I'm so frustrated. 19 years and millions of cars and ford can't figure out how to keep the panelscpanels when painting? I almost don't want to get it fixed and just buy an aftermarket hood, and what makes this worse is, orange Fury is a triple layer paint and I have over the top racing stripes.... FML
20200514_171857.jpg
That may not be corrosion, but rather just a "sloppy" sealant job spot. I had a couple of similar spots on my 2015 GT and those spots have never changed in 5 years. Those pot marks in that area makes me think it's sealant slop. I'd keep an eye on it and look for any changes. If it never changes, then it's not corrosion.
Sponsored

Pitholer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1 6M Orange Fury
Very good point GT Pony. If the center of those holes was white or primer color then that would mean the paint was broken where the corrosion started. But since the center of the holes is orange, that means that the paint was applied on top, so sealant slop is certainly a possibility, which makes me much happier.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Very good point GT Pony. If the center of those holes was white or primer color then that would mean the paint was broken where the corrosion started. But since the center of the holes is orange, that means that the paint was applied on top, so sealant slop is certainly a possibility, which makes me much happier.
I was thinking the same. The seam is sloppy too, and the bubbles in the clear on top are probably from being sprayed on a sloppy surface. I recall seeing that somewhere on my car when I first bought it new.
Pitholer - how long ago did you notice that? Has it gotten any worse?

Pitholer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking the same. The seam is sloppy too, and the bubbles in the clear on top are probably from being sprayed on a sloppy surface. I recall seeing that somewhere on my car when I first bought it new.
I JUST noticed it ,Considering to iits literally been 13 months only since it was manufactured, it seems very quick for galvanic corrosion, on my Explorer it took 25 months for a very small raised bubble.
I just noticed it like 3 days ago, so I just need to watch it. Im only really mad because I got PPF on the hood and if the hood needs to be replaced it won't be reimbursed. I also don't like the idea of repainting a tri color paintbpaint this is Ford for you. I'm optimistic that 13 months is too quick for this to be corrosion, my Explorer took over 2 years to get a small raised bubble on the lip whereas this looks more on the inside.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I JUST noticed it ,Considering to iits literally been 13 months only since it was manufactured, it seems very quick for galvanic corrosion, on my Explorer it took 25 months for a very small raised bubble.

I just noticed it like 3 days ago, so I just need to watch it. Im only really mad because I got PPF on the hood and if the hood needs to be replaced it won't be reimbursed. I also don't like the idea of repainting a tri color paintbpaint this is Ford for you. I'm optimistic that 13 months is too quick for this to be corrosion, my Explorer took over 2 years to get a small raised bubble on the lip whereas this looks more on the inside.
I think you should be okay. I am going to wash the car tomorrow and look for the spot on my car to see if it has changed over the past few years.

Sponsored

Pitholer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
I think you should be okay. I am going to wash the car tomorrow and look for the spot on my car to see if it has changed over the past few years.
I covered it with fresh touch up paint the dealer mixed for me. So the holes got filled in case any oxygen was getting in there. Made it smooth now. Hopefully it stays this way for years . If love to see how yours looks

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
I took my 16 GT in to the local dealer last week and they took photos of the corrosion and entire car (make sure its not neglected) and submitted it to Ford. 4 hours later they called me back and Ford approved a brand new hood. Supposed to be ready in about two weeks. My car has 15k miles and is garage kept and always waxed and clean, only driven in the rain a handful of times. Ford knows this is on them. I’ll let you know how the rest of the process goes.
8D48E0D4-4B34-4533-B321-D93D7DBCD1CF.jpeg
04CABD74-C304-413D-817F-A038D6B5EA56.jpeg
8AD33288-BCB8-4109-9862-6BAFEDFCE578.jpeg

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Fourth time on my hood (45k miles), and the first time it's happened on the topside for me....This is the only consistent drag when it comes to Mustang ownership for me. Maybe this time I'll get a new hood haha.
RustyBoi.png

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Just had my new hood installed. I’ve never had warranty work go as smoothly as that. Pics of my corrosion are above if you’re interested in what it looked like.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Fourth time on my hood (45k miles), and the first time it's happened on the topside for me....This is the only consistent drag when it comes to Mustang ownership for me. Maybe this time I'll get a new hood haha.
RustyBoi.png
I think Ford gave up on trying to repair corroded hoods, and that's now why the hood corrosion TSB says to replace the hood instead of repairing it.

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Noticed my ‘15 has started this as well. Good excuse to get the new Cervinis hood.

Wolfpack1279

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I've got bubbling along the entire front edge of the hood. I purchased my car in February 2015 and it now has approximately 52k miles. Based on the previous posts it appears Ford will not cover it? Does anyone have an estimated our of pocket cost of fixing this issue if Ford will not take responsibility?
Hood Picture.jpg

Mattwood440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Performance Package
I've got bubbling along the entire front edge of the hood. I purchased my car in February 2015 and it now has approximately 52k miles. Based on the previous posts it appears Ford will not cover it? Does anyone have an estimated our of pocket cost of fixing this issue if Ford will not take responsibility?
Hood Picture.jpg
$700 (plus tax) for paint and labor on mine from Bill Brown Ford in Livonia, MI (home of Roush and the 10r80 trans) last July. That didn't include the hood. The factory one was backordered 3 months last summer and cost more than a fiberglass aftermarket one. I went fiberglass. Pros: cheaper, won't ever corrode, looks badass. Cons: heavier! May take proprietary hood struts, hood pins (I skipped them), and an additional air duct or rain shield. All at extra cost. YMMV

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
$700 (plus tax) for paint and labor on mine from Bill Brown Ford in Livonia, MI (home of Roush and the 10r80 trans) last July. That didn't include the hood. The factory one was backordered 3 months last summer and cost more than a fiberglass aftermarket one. I went fiberglass. Pros: cheaper, won't ever corrode, looks badass. Cons: heavier! May take proprietary hood struts, hood pins (I skipped them), and an additional air duct or rain shield. All at extra cost. YMMV
Did you buy it, or did the dealer buy a fiberglass hood and you fronted the costs of materials and labor? Mine's at Dean Sellers in Troy for it right now.

Mattwood440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Performance Package
Did you buy it, or did the dealer buy a fiberglass hood and you fronted the costs of materials and labor? Mine's at Dean Sellers in Troy for it right now.
As a 15 owner mine was totally out of pocket. Lethal Performance had what I wanted with free shipping. I ordered from them and had it sent to the dealer. Just call whomever to make sure what you want is in stock beforehand.
Sponsored