Sponsored

TSB 19-2026: Aluminum Panel Corrosion

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This TSB supersedes TSB # 17-0062 to update vehicle model years.

Issue:
Some 2000 and newer Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles equipped with aluminum bodypanels may exhibit corrosion concerns appearing as bubbled and/or peeling paint with or withoutaccompanying white dust.

Panel replacement is recommended.
See attached TSB for full content.

NOTE:
TSB 19-2026 has been superseded by TSB 20-2233 (attached below):
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sooooo....does this mean the dealership won't argue with me about "through holes" in my hood to get a replacement now?

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sooooo....does this mean the dealership won't argue with me about "through holes" in my hood to get a replacement now?
They have to abide by the TSB - print it and bring it with you; if they attempt to give you pushback, present the TSB to them.

The revision was to cover for the very well known corrosion issues and vehicle years exactly as stated in the TSB.

This is just a guess - but Ford was sued in a Class Action suit a few years back - although not a winner for the Participants of the suit, the issue has been a well known and extensively documented problem for YEARS. There are many online complaints on many, many forums, facebook, and even individual websites of those who were had or have new Ford vehicles with aluminum panel corrosion and were denied claims. So I’m sure Ford has been getting not only a lot of complaints, but I would not be surprised if another Class Action or Individual Lawsuit arose...

It’s cheaper for Ford to cave and present such a TSB from a legal AND Shareholder standpoint. It eliminates the possibility of anyone trying to sue Ford for the corrosion issue, which brings publicity and costs millions. Such a claim won’t hold in court anymore, because the doc presents a statement that Ford is aware of the issue, is willing to alleviate the customer’s concern with a viable repair option.

My questions are - if someone was previously denied such a warranty claim:
1) If they paid out of pocket for any repair costs, can they be reimbursed in full for all costs incurred?
2) If they never had the problem addressed after the initial denial of warranty work, can they now submit a new claim for repair?

Last edited:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
No, it's cheaper for Ford to present a TSB, then under the table instruct dealers to tell timid/gullible/under-informed customers who have the issue and mention "the internet said there's a TSB" that they've never heard of that TSB and pretend to look it up. That's how it really happens. Or this BS: "we've never heard of the issue" but they have. Can't tell you how many times I've heard that at a Ford dealer!

There shouldn't need to be a TSB -- there's already a corrosion and B2B warranty!

Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
19 years worth of cars and they still have this issue? WTF

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
No, it's cheaper for Ford to present a TSB, then under the table instruct dealers to tell timid/gullible/under-informed customers who have the issue and mention "the internet said there's a TSB" that they've never heard of that TSB and pretend to look it up. That's how it really happens. Or this BS: "we've never heard of the issue" but they have. Can't tell you how many times I've heard that at a Ford dealer!

There shouldn't need to be a TSB -- there's already a corrosion and B2B warranty!
Yep, my dealer rep only mentioned hearing of the issue on Explorers. I call bs. Ford did approve "fixing" my hood, but the body shop can't get to the corrosion where the metals meet and informed me it would come back. There is still corrosion on mine that's visible. I made sure my dealer rep has the current TSB. Waiting on Ford's decision now, whether they'll replace the entire hood or not. Should be cut and dry, as the TSB says to replace.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got a text just a bit ago that they're ordering me a hood.
Good deal, glad the new TSB has helped you to get the fix that is stated in the TSB.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Good deal, glad the new TSB has helped you to get the fix that is stated in the TSB.
Yep, that was definitely the ammo that I needed!
Thank you for sharing!

Sponsored

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
I swung by my purchase dealership today (I only let them touch my car for warranty stuff) and talked to their warranty rep in the body shop. H seemed well aware of the TSB release. He took pictures, took my info, and said he'd present it to Ford for replacement. I imagine part of the TSB coming out is due to people going back multiple times for repair since sanding and repainting doesn't fix galvanic corrosion issues.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Dealer said it was a case by case basis (like before when the just denied it and gave you a discount on the body shop cost) then i showed him the tsb and he goes oh im sorry ill get the pictures taken and have a new hood in.
Thanks for the update!

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer said it was a case by case basis (like before when the just denied it and gave you a discount on the body shop cost) then i showed him the tsb and he goes oh im sorry ill get the pictures taken and have a new hood in.
Thanks for the update!
Glad the new info is helping some of you folks out!

For others in the same situation, do PRINT and bring the TSB with you to provide to your Dealership, because without it, you’ll be wasting time with Dealerships that don’t know about the revisions to the TSB.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My questions are - if someone was previously denied such a warranty claim:
1) If they paid out of pocket for any repair costs, can they be reimbursed in full for all costs incurred?
2) If they never had the problem addressed after the initial denial of warranty work, can they now submit a new claim for repair?
Those are good questions, and seems like if someone was previously denied warranty because the corrosion wasn't "all the way through" the panel, then Ford should re-address those cases.

From what I'm reading, I don't think this TSB changes the warranty language that Ford has for corroded body panels in terms of how long panels are covered for - reference the official Ford warranty statement for that. Some people may think this means their panel is still covered even though the body panel warranty has expired, unless Ford is also changing the time period language for the corrosion warranty on older vehicles, but I doubt they would do that.

The TSB seems to just be saying that the correct fix is to replace the panel if there is any sign of corrosion, regardless if it's all the way through the panel or not. Not to try and repair any corrosion, as we all know that's never going to be a permanent fix. So if someone is outside the Ford warranty, and someone comes in for a hood corrosion fix, the dealer as directed by this TSB would say the correct fix is a new hood, not a repair attempt on the area of corrosion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are good questions, and seems like if someone was previously denied warranty because the corrosion wasn't "all the way through" the panel, then Ford should re-address those cases.

From what I'm reading, I don't think this TSB changes the warranty language that Ford has for corroded body panels in terms of how long panels are covered for - reference the official Ford warranty statement for that. Some people may think this means their panel is still covered even though the body panel warranty has expired, unless Ford is also changing the time period language for the corrosion warranty on older vehicles, but I doubt they would do that.

The TSB seems to just be saying that the correct fix is to replace the panel if there is any sign of corrosion, regardless if it's all the way through the panel or not. Not to try and repair any corrosion, as we all know that's never going to be a permanent fix. So if someone is outside the Ford warranty, and someone comes in for a hood corrosion fix, the dealer as directed by this TSB would say the correct fix is a new hood, not a repair attempt on the area of corrosion.
No, Ford has actually extended the model YEARS too, specifically states it in the TSB and lists the model years by product. For instance this TSB applies to ALL 2005-2019 Mustangs and other Ford products back to year 2000. Obviously warranty is completely gone on vehicles where paint warranty was 5 years (or less), so it seems from the official document that if a Customer has a 2005 Mustang with such corrosion, it can be repaired.

I’m really thinking Ford has revised and issued this TSB to supersede others to avoid or make null and void any pending lawsuits for the aluminum body panel corrosion issue.
Sponsored