TSB 19-2026: Aluminum Panel Corrosion

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Picking mine up today. The replacement hood is on back-order. I'd rather them buy and paint an aftermarket hood.:crackup:
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
The hood on my 2015 has the corrosion in 3 spots. Since I've had the car for over 5 years guess I'm SOL on getting Ford to fix. I was planning on getting the front of my car repainted due to hitting a pole in a parking deck. Can the corrosion be fixed by a body shop or should I get a new hood before the repaint?

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
New hood is painted and getting installed this afternoon after work. With the backorder I was told about, that was a surprisingly pleasant and quick turnaround time!

Mr. 550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
Stang GT
They have to abide by the TSB - print it and bring it with you; if they attempt to give you pushback, present the TSB to them.

The revision was to cover for the very well known corrosion issues and vehicle years exactly as stated in the TSB.

This is just a guess - but Ford was sued in a Class Action suit a few years back - although not a winner for the Participants of the suit, the issue has been a well known and extensively documented problem for YEARS. There are many online complaints on many, many forums, facebook, and even individual websites of those who were had or have new Ford vehicles with aluminum panel corrosion and were denied claims. So I’m sure Ford has been getting not only a lot of complaints, but I would not be surprised if another Class Action or Individual Lawsuit arose...

It’s cheaper for Ford to cave and present such a TSB from a legal AND Shareholder standpoint. It eliminates the possibility of anyone trying to sue Ford for the corrosion issue, which brings publicity and costs millions. Such a claim won’t hold in court anymore, because the doc presents a statement that Ford is aware of the issue, is willing to alleviate the customer’s concern with a viable repair option.

My questions are - if someone was previously denied such a warranty claim:
1) If they paid out of pocket for any repair costs, can they be reimbursed in full for all costs incurred?
2) If they never had the problem addressed after the initial denial of warranty work, can they now submit a new claim for repair?
Why not 2015? Mustang

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Why not 2015? Mustang
My guess is Ford decided to change the corrosion warranty language for 2016+ but didn't go back and change it for 2015 since the warranty language was already in place.

Sponsored

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Car was outside, at the dealer for 2 days and, for the last year, been in a dry garage. Never driven in the rain or washed. Ford provided the hood pre-corroded.... Pathetic.
20200607_152938.jpg

Pitholer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1 6M Orange Fury
Car was outside, at the dealer for 2 days and, for the last year, been in a dry garage. Never driven in the rain or washed. Ford provided the hood pre-corroded.... Pathetic.
20200607_152938.jpg
Hey man, that looks exactly like the bubbles I have on my Orange one a few posts ago. Only hope I have is a few members have told me where that is, it could be a sloppy sealing job.... Let's hope. Mine is only over a year old...2019

Mattwood440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Performance Package
Here is the latest update on the class action lawsuit Simmons et al v. Ford Motor Company case #9:18-cv-81558
  • 8/27/2020-ORDER SETTING DISCOVERY STATUS CONFERENCE:(Status Conference Re: Discovery Matters set for 1/7/2021 01:30 PM in West Palm Beach Division before Magistrate Judge Bruce E. Reinhart.) Signed by Magistrate Judge Bruce E. Reinhart on 8/27/2020.
  • 8/26/2020-FOURTH AMENDED SCHEDULING ORDER: Jury Trial set for 9/27/2021 in Fort Lauderdale Division before Judge Rodolfo A. Ruiz II. Calendar Call set for 9/21/2021 11:00 AM in Fort Lauderdale Division before Judge Rodolfo A. Ruiz II. Status Conference set for 11/10/2020 09:30 AM before Judge Rodolfo A. Ruiz II. Fact Discovery due by 2/11/2021. Mediation Deadline 6/1/2021. In Limine Motions due by 7/28/2021. Dispositive Motions due by 6/28/2021. Motions due by 6/28/2021. Pretrial Stipulation due by 7/28/2021. Status Report due by 11/5/2020. Status Report due by 4/8/2021. Status Conference set for 4/15/2021 09:30 AM before Judge Rodolfo A. Ruiz II. Signed by Judge Rodolfo A. Ruiz, II on 8/26/2020.

ck80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amy & Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang; 2014 Mustang; other non-mustangs
We're going through this right now on my wife's deep impact blue metallic. Went in with both the TSB and the warranty determination guide powerpoint.

Good news: hood is being ordered and was approved.

BAD NEWS: We were told even though its a metallic and that even though Ford pays double the dealer's usual shop and paint rates, they were not doing any blend on the fenders because ford wasn't adding work hours for it.

Has anyone who had the work done gotten the fenders blended as part of the process? Is there any known escalation course people use to get that done?

I got told we're getting a hood, they will paint that hood in whatever shade of J4 paint the dealer has or mixes up, and the hood will be put on the car. And thats it. The rest is left up to us if we want anything.

Sponsored

Pitholer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1 6M Orange Fury
We're going through this right now on my wife's deep impact blue metallic. Went in with both the TSB and the warranty determination guide powerpoint.

Good news: hood is being ordered and was approved.

BAD NEWS: We were told even though its a metallic and that even though Ford pays double the dealer's usual shop and paint rates, they were not doing any blend on the fenders because ford wasn't adding work hours for it.

Has anyone who had the work done gotten the fenders blended as part of the process? Is there any known escalation course people use to get that done?

I got told we're getting a hood, they will paint that hood in whatever shade of J4 paint the dealer has or mixes up, and the hood will be put on the car. And thats it. The rest is left up to us if we want anything.
When I got this done on my Explorer, they did no blending, but it was ingot Silver and only a year old, so honestly you cannot tell at all

ck80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amy & Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang; 2014 Mustang; other non-mustangs
When I got this done on my Explorer, they did no blending, but it was ingot Silver and only a year old, so honestly you cannot tell at all
Unfortunately we're dealing with a 2016... for future info, we got it covered under the 5yr/unlimited mileage body panel, not the paint warranty. The car is I think around 120k miles or so, but, its covered. so if anyone else is in that situation, there is that.

On the one hand you say, great, they covered it even at that mileage (we intentionally left it alone for a couple years since warranty language says they only cover each panel once.) Idea was wait as long as possible so the replacement lasts as long as possible.

Surprisingly I asked if, considering theyre getting a double pay windfall on the hood, could/would they work with us if I kicked in something out of pocket towards some blending into the fenders so the new hood isn't obvious, but, no dice so far.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@ck80

The only way you could get any escalation is to contact the Ford 800# and ask to speak to a Regional Rep. The Ford CSR may work with you, BUT I think the determining factor with their decision is that your vehicle has 120k on it.... They’re going to say they can replace the hood under the Warranty/TSB and they’re doing what is right to make the Customer whole, but they’re not going to go any further with painting beyond the hood (fender blending).

I also don’t think they would do a fender blend with that amount of mileage because suppose they do perform the fender blend - and it now that does not match the doors, etc...

The paint you have IIRC is a 3-stage paint, just like the Ruby Red I have - metallics like ours are not as easy to just “blend” let alone on vehicle where the paint has aged.

Last edited:

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
20200607_152938.jpg
That looks more like hem adhesive washout than corrosion under the paint.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Can I call them have them order me a new hood under this TSB, then let them prep and paint it and I pick it up and install it myself? because I don't trust the dealership and their pinhead lot boys not to thrash my 750 wWHP Beast.
Sponsored