Sponsored

TSB 19-2026: Aluminum Panel Corrosion

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
There is a class action lawsuit currently pending. Trial date currently set for 3/30/20. The plaintiffs allege fraud because aluminum will not perforate due to the aluminum oxide process and Ford admitted they knew that.

http://m.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-bubbling-paint-warranty-lawsuit.shtml

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/26186062/SIMMONS_et_al_v_FORD_MOTOR_COMPANY
Sure - expect to get a coupon for a free oil change. The lawyers will make millions and we get peanuts.
Sponsored

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've been on the phone with Ford customer care for 2 months trying to get this taken care of. Yes I have a 2015 mustang GT.
IMG_20190617_090330.jpg
IMG_20190617_090311.jpg

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Today they called and said that they would take care of 90% of repair. They want to strip the nose of my hood treat and repaint. They're asking me to cover $120. I'm probably going to do it. It's not a new hood but it will fix my problem at least temporarily

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Today they called and said that they would take care of 90% of repair. They want to strip the nose of my hood treat and repaint. They're asking me to cover $120. I'm probably going to do it. It's not a new hood but it will fix my problem at least temporarily
Ford repainted the hood on my 2011 Mustang. The repair was good but corrosion just popped up on another part of the hood. By the time that happened, the car was out of warranty. I hope you have better luck then I did.

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I hope so too . If this just lasts a couple years, I'll be ready for the GT350 by then.

Sponsored

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Well shit, and here I thought I was the only one with this problem but ended up searching "Corrosion Hood" and here I am. Wow. I can't believe how many people are having this issue and all in pretty much the same area of the hood. How much more evidence does there need to be that there is a major defect? I noticed mine in the front corner above the passenger headlight as well, probably about a month ago. Just haven't had time to do anything about it because of work/vacations/etc.

Mine's a 2015. I have about 58,000 miles on it. I should technically still be under the 5 year unlimited mileage corrosion warranty but sounds like that means absolutely nothing. I'll hold off saying "F__k Ford!" until I actually get it into a dealership (hopefully next week) but based on what I'm reading, it sounds like I will definitely be saying it.

What a shit show Ford. Step your game up...

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Oh, and do any of us need to do anything to join in on this class action lawsuit mentioned above? I know it won't amount to much but I would think the more plaintiffs, the better. At least I'll feel good knowing I helped put a lawyers kid through Harvard law school...as part of the crew/water polo team or whatever b.s. identity they pay for....

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well shit, and here I thought I was the only one with this problem but ended up searching "Corrosion Hood" and here I am. Wow. I can't believe how many people are having this issue and all in pretty much the same area of the hood. How much more evidence does there need to be that there is a major defect? I noticed mine in the front corner above the passenger headlight as well, probably about a month ago. Just haven't had time to do anything about it because of work/vacations/etc.

Mine's a 2015. I have about 58,000 miles on it. I should technically still be under the 5 year unlimited mileage corrosion warranty but sounds like that means absolutely nothing. I'll hold off saying "F__k Ford!" until I actually get it into a dealership (hopefully next week) but based on what I'm reading, it sounds like I will definitely be saying it.

What a shit show Ford. Step your game up...

As mentioned many times, Ford (or its lawyers) changed up the paint/corrosion Warranty language in the 2016 Owners Manuals and Warranty provisions. 2016+ S550’s do not require perforation of the metal in order to have a warranty authorization. The 2015 S550’s need to show perforation of the metal.

Sucks since all S550 hoods have been manufactured, prepped and painted the same from Ford... but somehow 2015 is not on the non-perforated list...

As posted too - some 2015 owners have had the Service Center scrape the bubbled areas to prove or show perforation in pictures and in some cases Ford has approved the repair. This is a RISK, because if the bubble is scraped but Ford denies the repair, now you’re stuck with a condition worse than started with because the bubbled area is now exposed.

You can call the Ford 800# and tell them your S550 hood is the exact same as the 2016-current and try to fight for them to repair...

Mattwood440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Performance Package
Oh, and do any of us need to do anything to join in on this class action lawsuit mentioned above? I know it won't amount to much but I would think the more plaintiffs, the better. At least I'll feel good knowing I helped put a lawyers kid through Harvard law school...as part of the crew/water polo team or whatever b.s. identity they pay for....
No action required on our part. I spoke to one of the lawyers representing the plaintiffs on the phone. Save your receipts.

On a side note if we don't want to wait, Ford owners can also go through the BBB Auto Line Arbitration Program per our warranty contract. I'm thinking about it...

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I got denied warranty work since it's not perforated (2015). Even the service adviser agreed with how ridiculous that is, since it would take probably 10+ yrs for corrosion to cause perforation in aluminum, but there wasn't anything they could do since Ford denied it.

Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
You have a 2015. The warranty statement says the panel corrosion is covered for 5 years and unlimited mileage. The reason Ford is not covering it, even though you have had your car less than 5 years, is because the warranty on the 2015 says the panel needs to be perforated to be covered. Get it to perforate somehow ... that's what it will take to get it covered under warranty for a 2015 if still within the 5 year coverage period.

2015 Corrosion Warranty Statement
2015 Mustang Corrosion Warranty Statement.JPG

Notice however, that Ford changed the Corrosion Warranty Statement in 2016+ model years to address aluminum panels specifically. It reads that aluminum panels do not need to be perforated to be covered under the 5 year corrosion warranty - only corroded. The aluminum panel language is not even in the 2015 warranty statement. So why can't Ford apply their updated corrosion warranty back to the 2015s that are left out in the cold on this warranty? Someone needs to ask Ford why 2016+ models get a better aluminum panel coverage than the 2015s ... doesn't seem fair IMO.

2016+ Corrosion Warranty Statement
2016+ Mustang Corrosion Warranty Statement.JPG
I'm confused with your conclusion. To me it looks to still say that it has to show perforation to be repaired/replaced. I'm dealing with this now on my '16, it's not perforated just bubbling. The dealers body shop told me that the paint was only covered for 3 yrs?? So he seems to be wrong on that. I didn't even go to the service dept., I went right to the body shop. Are 16+ owners having the same problems of it not being covered due to no perforation? I have 6 months left before the 5 yrs runs out and would like as much ammo to bring/show to the body/service mgr to possibly get this fixed. Can someone tell me what is the latest TSB on this? Thanks for the help!!

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The Ford doc in this forum is the latest and has not been updated.

2016+ do not have to prove perforation of aluminum body panels at all; pre-2016 do have to prove perforation. The Paint and Corrosion Warranty was revised between 2015 and 2016.

It’s even in the owners manual for 2016 that aluminum body panels do not need to have perforation of the metal.

Paint and Corrosion warranty has been 5/60 on all S550’s. Whenever told you 3 years doesn’t know anything about Ford warranties.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm confused with your conclusion. To me it looks to still say that it has to show perforation to be repaired/replaced. I'm dealing with this now on my '16, it's not perforated just bubbling. The dealers body shop told me that the paint was only covered for 3 yrs?? So he seems to be wrong on that. I didn't even go to the service dept., I went right to the body shop. Are 16+ owners having the same problems of it not being covered due to no perforation? I have 6 months left before the 5 yrs runs out and would like as much ammo to bring/show to the body/service mgr to possibly get this fixed. Can someone tell me what is the latest TSB on this? Thanks for the help!!
Because the 2016+ Warranty statement specifically address aluminum panels, whereas the 2015 Warranty statement says nothing specific about aluminum panels. Ford added the specific aluminum panel statement in the 2016+ Warranty language. And the new statement says nothing about the aluminum panel needing to be perforated to be covered under warranty. It simply says it need to have corrosion damage.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
In the 2016+ Corrosion Warranty statement pictured above it says "coverage only applies if body sheet metal panel becomes perforated...." That's the part I'm questioning. I'm sorry if I'm misreading/misunderstanding it?? I'm only getting "bubbling".
Because the 2016+ Warranty statement specifically address aluminum panels, whereas the 2015 Warranty statement says nothing specific about aluminum panels. Ford added the specific aluminum panel statement in the 2016+ Warranty language.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
In the 2016+ Corrosion Warranty statement pictured above it says "coverage only applies if body sheet metal panel becomes perforated...." That's the part I'm questioning. I'm sorry if I'm misreading/misunderstanding it?? I'm only getting "bubbling".
The 2016+ warranty statement addresses aluminum panels separately, and doesn't say an aluminum panel needs to be perforated. The 2015 Warranty statement says absolutely nothing specific to aluminum panels like the 2016+ Warranty statement does, so all panels (steal or aluminum) are covered under "panels" for 2015.

You have a 2016, so if you have aluminum corrosion (the paint bubbling is a sign it's corroding under the paint) the panel does not have to be perforated to be covered under warranty unless Ford determines it was from some kind of abuse like they mention in the warranty statement.
Sponsored