Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
I had an updated engine installed in my 2003 Cobra in an attempt to not get left in the dust with all the fast 5.0 Coyote guys. :cwl:

Details are as follows:

stock bore 4.6 aluminum block 10 to 1 compression
stock crank
molnar rods
Bullet camshafts
Ported heads
6466 Precision turbos
T56 transmission

This really is a street car, no cage, air conditioning works, has all the factory amenities still (although there aren't many in 2003). It is not as easy to make power on the 4.6 stuff as the 5.0 with the nicer heads but we managed to make a little over 1100 on 30lbs of boost and C16.

Backed off the timing to a safe 15 degrees and I can make 1050+ horsepower and the engine should live a happy life at that number.

Engine was done by Keith at Wonder racing he does all Ford modular stuff and I'd definitely recommend him for any engine build work.

Tuning was done by Mike Post at DynotuneMP. If you are in the midwest Mike is a great down to earth guy who will tell you the facts of life and shoot you straight.
Sponsored

Mghoward74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
S550
Hey Zach

So whatā€™s your question? If youā€™re wondering if you can keep up, then sure I donā€™t see why not, unless youā€™re going up against the 10R80 cars. If you have that much power and torque ,then you shouldnā€™t have that many worries regardless against an auto mustang or any other prey

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
IMO nothing sound better than a 4.6L 4V, so you're still cooler ;)
That is 100% true. I loved my 2004 40th anniversary GT convertible. The coyote sounds great, but the 4.6 definitely was one of the best sounding engines ever.

OP
OP
Zach@Granger

Zach@Granger

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
More
That is 100% true. I loved my 2004 40th anniversary GT convertible. The coyote sounds great, but the 4.6 definitely was one of the best sounding engines ever.
The 2V 4.6 is one of the best sounding engines.

I love the sound of those.

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
Although I didnā€™t really get into Mustangs until just the last few years with the s550.

A seed was planted when I was about 11 or 12 years old. Our neighbor came home with a brand new 1996 Cobra with the 4.6. I happened to be outside and was awestruck. He called me over and let me sit in it and start it up and rev a little in the driveway. See my dad is a big Porsche 911 guy so I grew up around those. So when I heard the sound of that Cobra 4.6, a new world opened up. I can still hear that car today almost 30 years later.

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sierra, ā€˜21 Expedition, ā€˜22 Mach 1
Although I didnā€™t really get into Mustangs until just the last few years with the s550.

A seed was planted when I was about 11 or 12 years old. Our neighbor came home with a brand new 1996 Cobra with the 4.6. I happened to be outside and was awestruck. He called me over and let me sit in it and start it up and rev a little in the driveway. See my dad is a big Porsche 911 guy so I grew up around those. So when I heard the sound of that Cobra 4.6, a new world opened up. I can still hear that car today almost 30 years later.
Man, the 96 cobra, a friend of mine in high school, his brotherā€™s graduation gift was a 96 cobra with the mystic paint job. Our senior year in high school in 2001, his brother went to grad school in Boston and didnā€™t need the car so my buddy drove it. Scrapped a guard rail dodging a deer, had to repaint the entire car. But that thing was awesome!

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Yā€™all are crazy or I must have missed a class...cause the 4.6 does nothing for me next to a voodoo, or a de-stroked 289; both of which run to 8,000+ rpm :wink:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Had a 4.6 4V in my Vic. Have to disagree. Just a resonator delete and my Coyote is in the same realm as the 4.6 with a catback for both tone and volume.

Stock for stock, the Charger beats them all :crackup:

Kinda cheating there, since it's active exhaust with pass-through everything from the factory.
Did you have a swapped Vic? The only 4V that ever came factory in a Panther was dropped in the Marauder if I'm remembering right
Sponsored