Sponsored

Trying to decide betweeb a whipple and paxton.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, for maximum performance, I'd go turbos all day. And I love turbos, but at the added price point, install pains, and more things to check to make sure everything is OK, I think a S/C will be what I'm looking for. Just want a fun daily, and be able to hold my own if I find a race or decide to go to Mexico for the night. The block will remain stock for a long time (hopefully) , so I'm thinking about 750 whp on e85 is where I'm gonna stop regardless, and all the systems are capable of hitting that.
I thought I was set on a paxton set up, but so many people seem to be disappointed with its street manners that I'm second guessing that decision and think a PD blower may be what I'm looking for, especially since the newer ones don't seem to fall off up top and don't heat soak anymore, at least not nearly as bad.

My question with the PD blower is, is it harder on the motor than a centri since the boost can come on all at once at low rpms? I thought I remember reading that it's bad for the motor, similar to spraying at low rpm?
whipple it.png
Sponsored

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
Think about it this way. How many people pull a turbo off and put on a Paxton or whipple?
I know people pull blowers for turbos, but ain’t happening here. 8 sec street car good enough for me. Big power obtainable either way. Personal preference I guess

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
My opinion is going to be biased because I have yet to experience any other S550 with a power adder, but as someone who prefers simple and easy, the Whipple kit has so far impressed me. Easy to install, runs great, and drives just like stock until you push the go pedal.

However, with full factory exhaust you certainly do not get the cockiness the Centri kits make with all the whistle/blow off noise. Until i'm hard into the R's, you really cannot tell the car has a power adder at all whine-wise. Sneaky and fun, but certainly does not peak any interest when you pull up next to something such as a cam'd LS or full exhaust S550. Still pretty fun when you walk them though, as nobody expects it. Each has their own ups and downs and honestly it seems like they all run hard, no matter which way you go.

For a DD, I disliked all the plumbing and potential failure/leak points on a turbo setup. If i'm 10 hours away from home the last thing I would want is an issue, although any kit has that risk, there is just lest of it when there are less components involved.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
I picked the whipple due to the ease of install, oem reliability, and lastly and most important the whipple tune.

They have a ford engineer making there tune, using ford tools ( Bypass logic )

Just made 700rwhp on the whipple tune with 8oz of boostane on 3.875 pulley - 93 octane (stage 2)

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Think about it this way. How many people pull a turbo off and put on a Paxton or whipple?
Not many, however while I've been trying to research this topic I've found at least this guy

Maybe he is a member here and will tell us why.

Jolivar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Premium GT
I daily my car and I have an MT82. I pulled off a D1X on E85 and went whipple. Night and day difference when driving around town.

King138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Performance Pack GT
I daily my car and I have an MT82. I pulled off a D1X on E85 and went whipple. Night and day difference when driving around town.
Could you hit the cliff notes on your experience with the night and day difference

Bigswollnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 Mustang 5.0
I've done both, get the whipple.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I've been toying around this idea with a Paxton because of my 3.73 gears, but all the PD blowers seem to get the most love. Would I ultimately have to change my gearing so I'm not blowing my tires off around town? I do love the idea of the Whipple and Edelbrock setups.

Sponsored

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
I've been toying around this idea with a Paxton because of my 3.73 gears, but all the PD blowers seem to get the most love. Would I ultimately have to change my gearing so I'm not blowing my tires off around town? I do love the idea of the Whipple and Edelbrock setups.
Which is super easy to do because you can swap a guy your whole diff for his 3.15/3.31

OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Yeah, I got the 373 gears too, and I'd like to see how it goes before I swap gears out.

King138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Performance Pack GT
I had 3.73 gears in my 650whp kenne Bell cobra. Traction was a huge issue but the violence and craziness was a lot of fun.

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I have a Vortech V7JT oil fed supercharger, torque booster 3.15 pully, ID 1000, BAP, boost controller, 18 intake with 3:73 gears. My car made 741hp at 6800 rpm at 622lbs of torque with the jlt intake pipe off and a gallon of 110 fuel on 13lbs. On 12lbs with 93 with the jlt intake on, it made 713hp at 6900 and 590lbs of tq. I still have room to grow. I'll be reving this car to 7500 7700 rpms once I get rid of this boost controller. I'm wastgated, so using a boost controller is slowing me down because it's releasing boost once it get to peak boost. So I'm going with a 12lbs wastegate spring, getting rid of the boost controller and will let the spring do the work. The spring will hold 12lbs of boost past 7300 rpm.Car feels great down low. 20rolls 40 rolls are useless, 60 roll on a cold night can get scary. I am on a street tire. Drag radials next. Whipples are nice, if I had the money I probably would've went that route but I got a great deal on my setup so I couldn't pass it up. Plus the look you get at cars show or just riding through town with that blow off valve screaming is unmatched. I know everyone is team whipple but don't sleep on vortech/paxton
Sponsored