Sponsored

Trunk water leak, did i repair or cause issue?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
OP, you don't say what year your car is. Is it still under warranty? IMO, this is a reason to take it to a dealer.
I know some people fear dealers working on their cars, a level of paranoia I don't understand but that's a conversation for another thread.
This issue is something that does warrant a trip to the dealer simply because a poor repair can lead to serious rust problems later.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TrainedS550

TrainedS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
Guys after deep reading in the other thread I done a deeper inspection around the seams and found some cracking at the bottom on each side. I used the same clear sealant to fill them. Ill keep updated after the next rain. If I hear any sloshing in my fenders ill take it as a fail and unclog the inner holes and take to a dealer.

OP
OP
TrainedS550

TrainedS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
It is a 2015 gt premium with a tender loving care platinum after market warranty. So assuming I find a ford that will work with them ill have to pray that they don't find a reason to deny it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Do this the easy way.... you're gooping sealant blindly.

Put your rear seat backs down.

Pull all trunk lining material out. DRY everything using an old cotton towel or microfiber.

Close trunk lid.

Get a very bright light.

Get a friend, spouse, neighbor, cousin, some kid off the street for $10... an extra body is what you need (a live one).

YOU lay inside the car with your head inside the trunk through back seat opening with the very bright light.

The EXTRA body - for at least a good 3-5 minutes, have them on the outside with a garden hose on, drenching the entire 3rd brake light assembly and the entire rear window from top and both sides so that the water is running/draining from top downward. Wait and look around, see any leaks? If not proceed to next....

Then run the water over the trunk lid; wait... any leaks? If not proceed to next....

Then run it against and over the rear panel and tail lights; wait.... any leaks? If not proceed to next....

LASTLY, run it over each rear 1/4 window.

I don’t think the leak is coming from the rear 1/4 glass, it’s too far forward from your image AND outside of the trunk area.

If you had A LOT of rain that day and the car was parked on an angle or slope with rear down, it’s highly possible the force of the rain water breached the trunk seal. If the force of water was draining down off the roof, into the trunk channels at a high rate, it overwhelmed the rear drainage path breaching the seal, seeping in on each side. The same would be true if the car were parked with front down and rear up on an angle where the rain water collected at the highest part of the trunk channel Under the rear window, collected on each side and breached the seal.

Unfortunately with your car being a 2015, water leaks would have been covered only under the 3/36. If that back glass has to be pulled, it can be expensive.

This was the link for the 3rd brake light leak findings:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/issue-with-third-brake-light-water-leak.97131/

Post back your findings.

OP
OP
TrainedS550

TrainedS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
So done the above water test as recommended and opened the holes back up. What I discovered is it seems to be something on the lower end of the car. Not overrunning the seal. Seems to be around the gas cap or tail light? I removed the tail light and the seal was right but could it be getting in from a seam there? Also, the water is actually infiltrating from the body vents in the trunk.
Sponsored