Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1, 2018 F150 FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get Quik-latch 38 or 50 hood pins?
I did the QL-38 pins because to me they are big enough in size and as you've probably seen they are less than half the cost of the QL-50's. I was shocked at how much more the QL-50's are priced, just didn't make sense or seem worth it to me.
Sponsored

Mr whiskers5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 rapid red mustang gt
Thanks man. Just under $1000 for the fiberglass version I have. Think I paid another $700-$800 for paint and adding hood pins to it (done at local body shop). They have a carbon fiber version of the same hood that cost about $2750, (when you consider the CF version doesnt need paint it winds up being much less difference in cost). Also, per my post yesterday, you can get 5% off using my Trufiber affiliate code BLU5 so that will knock off about $50-$150, depending on the hood version.

Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck if you decide to get one, its been one of my favorite mods!
damn that aint bad. id never spend 2k or more then 1500 on a hood. it seems like all the hoods keep getting more expensive but this is a cool badass hood for under 1k

Sponsored

KT3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay m
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Awesome! Remember to use the BLU5 discount code.
Send some pics to this thread after it's installed, it's gonna look killer!
Hey, will the 18+ version (like yours) fit a Gen 5 3.0 whipple? I think i’m dead set on this hood.

Although, i’m curious to know if that vent issue flying off is common…. I don’t plan on going above 220 km/h…

Also, do you have any pics from inside the cabin?

KT3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay m
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I opened these small stock vents from the inside and left only the grills from the outside. They are held by plastic pins with 5 nuts. So at a very high speed, the underhood air pressure was so high that the air trying to get through this tiny hole just ripped off the vent completely and I lost it somewhere on the freeway.
Hey man, I have a Gen 5 3.0 Whipple on my 18+… Did you get the hood? Does it clear the whipple?

Is there any issues with the vents on this hood at high speeds? Any issues with cleaning the hood and water damaging the whipple? Thanks :)

Max Rips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT Premium PP1
Hey man, I have a Gen 5 3.0 Whipple on my 18+… Did you get the hood? Does it clear the whipple?

Is there any issues with the vents on this hood at high speeds? Any issues with cleaning the hood and water damaging the whipple? Thanks :)
Yeah, I got the hood. A couple of bolts holding the central vent don't clear the Whipple but you can take those two off as there are ten of them. Other than that it clears fine.

I did 170 with this hood and no hood pins - no problem.

I wash the car every week and never had an issue with water. Even went through an automatic touchless carwash about 5 times.

The quality of the hood is 6 out of 10. Some weave imperfections, the fitment is off, and the side vents were not glued enough. For that price, it is fine with me.

The vents help a lot with underhood air pressure at high speeds and the front doesn't lift anymore. The underhood temps dropped too.

KT3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay m
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yeah, I got the hood. A couple of bolts holding the central vent don't clear the Whipple but you can take those two off as there are ten of them. Other than that it clears fine.

I did 170 with this hood and no hood pins - no problem.

I wash the car every week and never had an issue with water. Even went through an automatic touchless carwash about 5 times.

The quality of the hood is 6 out of 10. Some weave imperfections, the fitment is off, and the side vents were not glued enough. For that price, it is fine with me.

The vents help a lot with underhood air pressure at high speeds and the front doesn't lift anymore. The underhood temps dropped too.
Hey man, thank you so much for your reply! I’m sure the carbon fibre version is awesome. I typically go CF, but i’m settling with fibre glass.

So, 2 of the 10 bolts from under the hood that hold the central vents need to be removed due to not clearing… Got it. Are you noticing any problems with the vents (central especially) moving around? Or do you deem that it’s sturdy/reliable?

As for the side vents not being glued enough, are there any DIY’s per se that we could do to make them stiffer?

Almost forgot you were american, so 170mph with no pins, and it’s fine? Wow. I think i’ll go with pins just for the aesthetic, but that’s awesome.

What do you do when it rains? Have you left the vehicle outside during a rain storm?

Edit: Another question, So I just spoke to someone who has the hood. I see what you mean by the bottom bolts not clearing. Another option could be to shave that section down (since they come out) and then use 3m double sided tape for extra reinforcement.

My next question is the intake of the whipple, that comes out quite a bit… Is it clearing just like the stock hood or are you seeing issues?

Also, what did you do to make the windshield fluid nozzle work again?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blu_stallion

Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, will the 18+ version (like yours) fit a Gen 5 3.0 whipple? I think i’m dead set on this hood.

Although, i’m curious to know if that vent issue flying off is common…. I don’t plan on going above 220 km/h…

Also, do you have any pics from inside the cabin?
I have a stock manifold but from what I can tell there should be plenty of clearance for a Gen 5 whipple.

Ive never taken the car over 150 but so far no issues with vents flying off, I think that all comes down to using a proper automotive adhesive when installing them.

I'll send you a pic from inside the cabin here in a bit. If you order this hood please be sure to use my code BLU5 when checking out on the trufiber website, it will save you 5% and also help me out a little. Thanks

Sponsored
OP
OP
Blu_stallion

Blu_stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cabin shot, small aggressive raise but no negative effect to your line of sight

Hood cabin photo.jpeg

Max Rips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT Premium PP1
Hey man, thank you so much for your reply! I’m sure the carbon fibre version is awesome. I typically go CF, but i’m settling with fibre glass.

So, 2 of the 10 bolts from under the hood that hold the central vents need to be removed due to not clearing… Got it. Are you noticing any problems with the vents (central especially) moving around? Or do you deem that it’s sturdy/reliable?

As for the side vents not being glued enough, are there any DIY’s per se that we could do to make them stiffer?

Almost forgot you were american, so 170mph with no pins, and it’s fine? Wow. I think i’ll go with pins just for the aesthetic, but that’s awesome.

What do you do when it rains? Have you left the vehicle outside during a rain storm?

Edit: Another question, So I just spoke to someone who has the hood. I see what you mean by the bottom bolts not clearing. Another option could be to shave that section down (since they come out) and then use 3m double sided tape for extra reinforcement.

My next question is the intake of the whipple, that comes out quite a bit… Is it clearing just like the stock hood or are you seeing issues?

Also, what did you do to make the windshield fluid nozzle work again?
No problems after removing two bolts. The vent is solid with the remaining bolts.

Your hood might have side vents with better adhesive than mine. It's a Chinese product and it's always a lottery. I am sure you can remove the vents and reglue them with better adhesive if needed but I didn't bother. Only the front side of the vents lifted a bit.

Although I am doing it myself I don't advise doing high speeds without pins.

I only took my car once in the rain and didn't have any issues. It's on track tires and not a daily driver so I try to avoid wet roads.

You don't need to shave anything or put 3M tape. You just take em off and forget about the problem.

Everything else, including the intake clears just fine.