Sponsored

True Equal Length Headers?

GT P-TREE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Not sure if it's already been asked/addressed, but does someone know if any company is working on a true equal length header (even if it is a shorty or mid length design)? Just curious. Searching for the Ferrari-eque sound (yes, yes, I know firing order is different). Just curious too what the Voodoo would do with true equal length.
Sponsored

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I don't think that it's ever going to sound much like a Ferrari. It seems like it's going to pretty much sound like a deeper, more guttural Coyote.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I'm really curious to hear the ARH setup with no cats, no resonators, and stock mufflers at WOT. It may sound like a demon at 8,000RPM.

Sponsored

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
He doesn't have resonators, but his videos only go up to about 4500RPM he said. He's waiting on the dyno runs to get WOT videos to redline.

OP
OP

GT P-TREE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Not sure if it's already been asked/addressed, but does someone know if any company is working on a true equal length header (even if it is a shorty or mid length design)? Just curious. Searching for the Ferrari-eque sound (yes, yes, I know firing order is different). Just curious too what the Voodoo would do with true equal length.
It won't. Firing order is completely different.
esqueɛsk/
suffix
suffix: -esque

1. (forming adjectives) in the style of; resembling.

I realize this, thank you for the reiteration. That's why I said like. True equal lengths would get it closer to the sound. I saw the Kooks and ARH threads. That's why I asked if true equal length shorty headers were in the works.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
True equal lengths would get it closer to the sound. I saw the Kooks and ARH threads.
...mmm no it won't. Again, not even close. You can make each tube as equal as you want but the bottom line is that one of the most fundamental variables prevents your Voodoo from ever sounding even close to one of those exotics: chassis shape. Not to mention the full exhaust length.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
But, going back to the real question, we'll just have to wait and see. I'd be interested in short tube true equals just to experiment with the sound as well but I'm not looking to make my car sound like an Italian thoroughbred.

Sponsored
OP
OP

GT P-TREE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What? Chassis shape? Do explain how this would effect exhaust sounds. Glad you don't want yours to sound like an "Italian thoroughbred", I do :D

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I'm guessing that by "chassis shape" he means engine placement. The mid engined cars have about 1/3 of the exhaust plumbing of a Mustang.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm guessing that by "chassis shape" he means engine placement. The mid engined cars have about 1/3 of the exhaust plumbing of a Mustang.
Correct. As well as the natural harmonic and acoustic properties of the structure itself. Its like putting a speaker system in one room, then moving it to another. It won't sound the same. Exactly in the way that basically the same engine in trucks sound completely different than say in a Camaro vs a Silverado or an F150 vs the S197.

Have you ever heard a Fox Body with a 'Yote in it? Sounds unbelievably different not to mention plumbing differences. Even the S550 sounds very different vs an S197 with the same engine architecture in it.

dbk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Yes, they do materially alter the tone of the sound towards a more Ferrari-ish scream.
Sponsored