Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
I took delivery about a month ago and did the walk around prior to taking delivery with everything seemed in order. The other day while wiping down the car I noticed a chip in the paint from the truck lid hitting the body when you open the trunk. Upon closer inspection I noticed the gaps are off too. The driver side was about 1/8 -3/16" and the passenger side was 1/4" - 3/8. So I went to the dealer yesterday and it goes in on Tuesday to be fixed. Service manager said he was surprised Ford let that go....

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg
Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I had this issue with my 2020 GT Premium, same spot. Just take it to the dealer so they can realign it and send it to the bodyshop for the paint.

OP
OP
Justpassingas

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
I had this issue with my 2020 GT Premium, same spot. Just take it to the dealer so they can realign it and send it to the bodyshop for the paint.

Thats the plan....the big suck part is I had the car ceramic coated last week before I noticed :frown:

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Thats the plan....the big suck part is I had the car ceramic coated last week before I noticed :frown:

ohh that for sure sucks. When i took delivery of my 2021 that was one of the first areas I looked at as I read is quite common.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
You are not alone - have a look here : https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2020-shelby-gt500-trunk-lid-paint-rub-video.153271/

Yours (to my eye) looks a little low and too far forward - both issues contribute to the problem.

I was lucky with mine and it was OK.

My black decklid trim was a little off, but I noticed that it only pulled sideways at the very last moment before it latched fully. I made a small adjustment to the latch that fixed it (to an acceptable / mustang standard). It seemed that the amount of movement required in the latch was out of proportion with how much it improved the look.

Good luck and I hope you get yours fixed up OK :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Justpassingas

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
ohh that for sure sucks. When i took delivery of my 2021 that was one of the first areas I looked at as I read is quite common.
Yeah....sure does....I wish I knew that about the trunks...news to me...I had no issues with my 2015 EB

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This sucks for sure but I can’t believe your detailer didn't notice this.
Yeah. Dealer can't believe Ford let it get thru, Ford can't believe dealer didn't catch it in PDI and the rest of us can't believe the ceramic guy didn't catch it.

1619095755459.png

OP
OP
Justpassingas

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
To be fair to the detailer....I dropped the car off a week after taking delivery and the chipped paint wasn’t there...I never really opened the trunk that many times up to that point...I have had the car now for a month and since then I’ve had the trunk opened several times....it is what is.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
To be fair to the detailer....I dropped the car off a week after taking delivery and the chipped paint wasn’t there...I never really opened the trunk that many times up to that point...I have had the car now for a month and since then I’ve had the trunk opened several times....it is what is.
Good attitude. It will get fixed and then you’ll never notice it. Just make sure your dealers body shop knows about the coating.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My 2017 Had that same issue.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Called in the dealer today and spotted the same problem on a new unregistered car … :frown:

I haven’t seen that many new ones at the dealer (remember I am in the U.K.), maybe ten or so and this is the second forecourt car with this issue - that’s not a good ratio … :frown:

This car has no spoiler so nothing to stress the trunk lid or hinge, looking at the alignment it definitely sits low on that side :

1620425770508.jpeg

1620425799952.jpeg

1620426951596.jpeg

Shame really, as the rest of the panels on this car looked pretty good and it was in a completely different league to the black one parked nearby …

OP
OP
Justpassingas

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Called in the dealer today and spotted the same problem on a new unregistered car … :frown:

I haven’t seen that many new ones at the dealer (remember I am in the U.K.), maybe ten or so and this is the second forecourt car with this issue - that’s not a good ratio … :frown:

This car has no spoiler so nothing to stress the trunk lid or hinge, looking at the alignment it definitely sits low on that side :

Shame really, as the rest of the panels on this car looked pretty good and it was in a completely different league to the black one parked nearby …

That looks very familiar...I picked my car up yesterday after spending a week at the dealer. They had to send it to another dealer as they didn't have a body shop. I inspected the work and notice the paint is still chipped but the trunk lid was re-aligned properly. It looked like they used touch-up paint that didn't bond so back to the dealer again :frown:
Sponsored