Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
We can’t do it alone. All the progress we make at Signature Wheel comes as a result of someone’s time, trust, patience and money. Sam Lippencott’s GT500 has been a story of tribulation and triumph. One of those cars that truly pushed all the limits, built a friendship, and tested dedication. Here is some of the story.

SV302-S-GT500-Coastal-Dyno-by-Diossi-Watermark-16.jpg

I was fortunate to connect with Sam and plot a course for our first 21” GT500 Signature Wheel order before these cars were even delivered. Using measurements from an actual GT500 and knowledge from the GT350 we put plans in motion. After production of Sam's wheels I found the rear brakes on the GT500 were larger than expected. This required adjustments to the concave profile and ultimately changing the faces of the wheels. Sam was one of the first to have his GT500 built, but was suddenly struck with life threatening health issues shortly after taking delivery. After months of recovery, Sam was back on his feet and ready to swap the wheels on the car.

SV302-S-GT500-Coastal-Dyno-by-Diossi-Watermark-1.jpg

Sam let me know the new wheel faces were being swapped into the existing barrels and would get back to me soon. To my dismay I got photos of the wheels sticking out way past the fender in the rear. Research was done to confirm all of the specs, but at this point there was only one option I could think of. Book a flight to Florida to inspect the wheel setup and ensure everything was correct. That night, southwest had me booked to travel from California to Florida approximately two weeks later. Low and behold, one week before my flight, COVID-19 broke out all over the world. Yet and still, the job had to get done.

SV302-S-GT500-Coastal-Dyno-by-Diossi-Watermark-4.jpg

With an N95 mask, gloves, hand sanitizer, and Lysol wipes I boarded the flight to FL and arrived without much fuss. After a night of sleep I was able to meet up with Sam at his shop the following day. We were fortunate to be testing out the 20"/18" Signature Wheel Drag Pack setup I had built for his car as well. We found that even test fitting those wheels had the rear wheels poking out way past the fenders. A quick call to Tyler and Jeff Scofield resulted in us being able to bring over another stock 2020 GT500 that was less than 30 minutes away. True luck considering how few of these cars had even been delivered at the time. The roar of the Grabber Lime GT500 was a welcomed sound. Hellos were exchanged from six feet away and it was time to get to work. The 18" rear drag pack wheels were quickly swapped on and EUREKA. Fitment was dead on. We found that slight positive camber adjustments to Sam's GT500 for drag racing use made a huge difference in fitment. With the mystery solved it was time to get wheels on the car.

SV104-GT500-Drag-Pack-Gloss-Gunmetal-8-of-17.jpg

SV104-GT500-Drag-Pack-Gloss-Gunmetal-11-of-17.jpg

SV104-GT500-Drag-Pack-Gloss-Gunmetal-13-of-17.jpg

SV104-GT500-Drag-Pack-Gloss-Gunmetal-17-of-17.jpg

Wheels were spec'd out to a 21x11 / 21x11.5 similar to what comes on the Carbon Fiber Track Package. Tire selection in the 21" category has gotten much better over the years due to some of the Porsche, Ferrari, and other European brands. Initial tire sizing in the 315/30/21 Pilot 4S rear was chosen, and a 295/30/21 chosen for the front. Michelin currently has a gap in the Pilot 4S sizing and does not offer a 305/30/21. We found the 315/30 while optimal in a 20x11.5, left more stretch than desired in a 21x11.5. Sometimes differences in tire sizing and construction can only be known once a tire is mounted to the wheel. Luckily our contact at Discount Tire Direct was able to swap the rear tires for a meatier 325/30/21 free of charge. With the car fully assembled it was time to get it in front of Kevin Diossi for some amazing photography.

SV302-S-GT500-Coastal-Dyno-by-Diossi-Watermark-18.jpg

This story is long, but it is a good one to tell. Making mistakes is nothing to be ashamed of, but missing the opportunity to learn from them is a true waste. Sharing moments like this within the automotive community is just a reminder that even if you get it right 99% of the time, it is how you handle the 1% that speaks volumes. Commitment to taking care of people and standing behind what you do can be a rare experience these days. The opportunity to meet Sam and Tyler was well worth the travel and expense to reveal what we were able to create. Sam's GT500 now makes over 1,000 RWHP and has us looking to develop a true beadlock wheel to handle the power these cars will be delivering with very little modifications.

76-B1-DF44-0-F31-46-B2-9240-640217-D6-B773.jpg

Hope you enjoyed what you read and the amazing images Kevin Diossi put together.

GT500 Specs:
  • 1038 RWHP / 719 RWTQ
  • Tuned by Sam at Coastal Chassis Dyno & Performance With HP Tuners
  • Jokerz Ported Blower
  • VMP 105 Throttle Body
  • ID1300 Injectors
  • Griptec Pulley
  • JLT Intake & Catch Can
  • JMS Fuelmax
  • American Racing Headers
Wheel Specs
  • Signature Wheel SV302S
  • 21x11 / 21x11.5
  • 295/30/21 & 325/30/21 Michelin Pilot 4S
  • Brushed Triple Black Tinted Face, Polished Lip, Stainless Hardware
SV302-S-GT500-Coastal-Dyno-by-Diossi-Watermark-3.jpg

SV302-S-GT500-Coastal-Dyno-by-Diossi-Watermark-5.jpg

SV302-S-GT500-Coastal-Dyno-by-Diossi-Watermark-11.jpg

SV302-S-GT500-Coastal-Dyno-by-Diossi-Watermark-17.jpg

SV302-S-GT500-Coastal-Dyno-by-Diossi-Watermark-21.jpg

Anyone can build you a wheel. But only we can build you a Signature Wheel.

Sponsored

Last edited: