Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I have my modded automatic ecoboost for about 15 months now, got tired of the auto, then started using sport mode more and more, got tired of that and used my paddle shifters for the first time today on the highway.

Since the engine basically downshifts on it's own to protect from over torquing, I see very little value in downshifting via the paddles, brake for downshifting, paddles up to get up to desired gear or am I missing something?

First gear via the paddles is almost worthless, have to be going about 10mph or it starts over revving, don't think I have every driven that slow in my car ever, lol.

Notice that there is a wide range of gears that can be used in each speed group, on our 70mph highways here in Florida or everyone drives at least 80mph if not more I can be crusing along in any gear from 3rd to 6th it seems like it, is it true that that higher the gear the more fuel effencient the engine will be?

Also trying to make sharp turns and paddle shift at the same time can be a bear.

Thanks
TC
Sponsored

86merc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The paddles are meant more for spirited and track driving. Downshifting with the paddles is more when you want to go into a turn holding a gear. Then you come out of the turn with enough rpm to pull the car straight where you can easily get to the paddle again to pull the next gear. In a track situation, it is a no-no to shift gears in a corner. It upsets the suspension and sends the car off the track. So when street driving you may have to rev the gear out more till the wheel is in a position where you can reach the paddles easily enough. This is why some cars have the paddles mounted on the column versus the steering wheel.

Yes, less engine rpm is more fuel efficient when on the highway.

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, all the while I was trying out the paddles in all kinds of situations and speeds just about every time I thought, this would be great at the track, for everyday driving around town, meh..not so much.

TC :)

86merc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a GT and use D most of the time. S & M on the street when I am in open areas playing around or on curvy roads. Each mode has its place for sure. Some don't mind S & M for everyday use. It is just personal preference.

Also, yes, downshifting to 1st gear is going to result in a lot of rpm unless you are crawling. 2nd gear should be fine to accelerate if you are moving at all.
Sponsored