Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hi,

As far I can figure out, the only differences are the following:

1. The Tri-Ax Race uses a stiffer bushing to attach to the body (but you can buy that same bushing separately and use it with the stock shifter body and Tri-Ax Street, if you so wish).
2. The Tri-Ax Race attaches firmly to the gearbox, without a bushing, as opposed to the Tri-Ax Street, which retains the stock arm and bushing.
3. The Tri-Ax Race allows you to vary the toughness of the shift lever return springs, and to do it from inside the car, as opposed to the Tri-Ax Street, which retains the stock springs.

All the other characteristics (e.g. shorter throw, lower-sitting knob, better-built reverse lockout, etc.) seem to be identical in both the Tri-Ax Race and the Tri-Ax Street. Only the three things mentioned above seem to differ.

Is this correct?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Looking at the stock shifter, the only things that look like potential weak points are the two plastic "cups" in which the bulges on the shift lever sit. If there's anything that could potentially wear out over time, or that could cause any unwanted play in the shift lever, those two bushings are it. Everything else seems fine to me.
And yet both Tri-Ax versions retain them. Even the Tri-Ax Race, which replaces a bit more of the stock shifter assembly than its lighter brother, still retains those plastic cups. Is there a reason for this? I'm sure you could have made a stronger version (say, our of polyurethane or delrin) if you had considered it necessary. But you didn't. Which means it isn't. Right?

Can I rest assured that those flimsy plastic things will never give me any trouble, and that the Tri-Ax Street that I have (and love) now will continue to work and to feel exactly the same in the future?

Last edited:

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I don’t have the street so I can’t comment for sure, but based on what I see there’s a tremendous difference. With street, the stock shifter mount and housing are retained, which are both very flimsy. The bushing and bracket for the rear of the shifter are also massive improvements on the race version. This is all presumably going to make a difference in the flex of the shifter under stress.

I have the race one and I can tell you the flex is little to nothing. I have the race heavy springs in as well. Occasionally I have a hard time finding first gear and it requires a bit of oomph to push the shifter left enough to get into first. However, it’s brand new and has probably 15 miles on it so far… otherwise I love it.

I installed the dynamat as directed in the instructions and retained all stock sound deadening, however there is a slight increase in noise. Primarily I can hear the whine of the transmission as it spins up in lower gears. Personally I love that and am happy I can hear it, but it’s prolly not for everyone.

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The bushing and bracket for the rear of the shifter are also massive improvements on the race version. This is all presumably going to make a difference in the flex of the shifter under stress.

I have the race one and I can tell you the flex is little to nothing.
That's no. 1 and no. 2 in my list.

I have the race heavy springs in as well. Occasionally I have a hard time finding first gear and it requires a bit of oomph to push the shifter left enough to get into first.
And that's no. 3 in my list.

So, can I assume that these three are the only differences? Or is there something else, more subtle, that I'm missing?

I would also love to hear from Steeda in regard to those plastic cups. Those look to me like the most obvious wear/failure points, and yet Steeda chose not to replace them with something stiffer. There must be a reason for that. Maybe they aren't actually as flimsy as they seem at first glance?

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
That's no. 1 and no. 2 in my list.

And that's no. 3 in my list.

So, can I assume that these three are the only differences? Or is there something else, more subtle, that I'm missing?

I would also love to hear from Steeda in regard to those plastic cups. Those look to me like the most obvious wear/failure points, and yet Steeda chose not to replace them with something stiffer. There must be a reason for that. Maybe they aren't actually as flimsy as they seem at first glance?
There’s a few guys from Steeda that always post on here, maybe they can give some insight…?

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The Steeda Race shifter is a complete shifter assembly - which is trans mounted and chassis-mounted, with the chassis mount being our extremely firm bushing. Yes, it comes with 2 different spring set options for a fully adjustable shifting experience.

The Steeda Street uses a re-engineered pivot mechanism not only to provide a shorter throw :

There are more differences than similarities as the Race Shifter is more of a complete package.

TJ

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks, Tim. I missed that thread. I'll read it, and if I still have questions after that I'll e-mail you.
Sponsored