Sponsored

Transmission shift pressure/firmness with 750+ rwhp

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My two cents;

Having come from a GTR platform - DCT - with 11 plate, 22 clutches - I have gotten the understanding of how complicated these transmissions can be when it comes to tuning. Converter or not, as EngineerMike stated above - there are a ton of parameters to consider (and get right). In my humble opinion and experience, TCM is not something I would personally play with as the consequences could be fairly dire. Being honest - I wouldn't attempt to tune my car either for the same reasons lol. I have the 258mm Circle D converter and Mcleod clutches - so I want to maximize shifts - and this is where I believe a Tuner is worth their weight in gold as they have done the R&D so I don't need to either A) break something to find out if I have it right, B) waste my time this season, which is the most valuable - or - both (most likely). The value of a proper tune just seems so high compared to the alternatives. Especially with some power in the car. Not a place to try to save dough IMHO. I am with Lund and PBD are also highly regarded.
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
@Jackson1320 the only thing I see in there regarding shift time is the shift verification time. I have no doubt you can adjust the time the shifts take but it would involve modifying a few dozen transfer rate, torque rate, ramp rate, and pressure tables that all work with each other.

I’ve had a bad transmission cal before and it sucks. It would release the prior gear too quickly and engage the next one too slowly so the engine free revved between them. I can only imagine the damage that could be done if the opposite mistake were made.
Correct it does take a couple tables. Not sure about the 10t80 but the 6r80 you only need to adjust a couple. The 10r80 may be a little more complex

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
I did my own 2nd gear start in Sport mode tuning. Mine will still go to first if you paddle down but in Sport mode paddle shift switches it to select-shift mode so you have to do all the shifting until you go back to D mode.
Correct but even though you paddle down to first and manually shift through the gears in manual mode it will still downshift on its own if you let it stopping at 2nd correct?

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
My two cents;

Having come from a GTR platform - DCT - with 11 plate, 22 clutches - I have gotten the understanding of how complicated these transmissions can be when it comes to tuning. Converter or not, as EngineerMike stated above - there are a ton of parameters to consider (and get right). In my humble opinion and experience, TCM is not something I would personally play with as the consequences could be fairly dire. Being honest - I wouldn't attempt to tune my car either for the same reasons lol. I have the 258mm Circle D converter and Mcleod clutches - so I want to maximize shifts - and this is where I believe a Tuner is worth their weight in gold as they have done the R&D so I don't need to either A) break something to find out if I have it right, B) waste my time this season, which is the most valuable - or - both (most likely). The value of a proper tune just seems so high compared to the alternatives. Especially with some power in the car. Not a place to try to save dough IMHO. I am with Lund and PBD are also highly regarded.
Whether or not tuning your own car is a good idea or not depends on. 1. modifications to the car. 2. power level. 3. personal knowledge of tuning. 4. time.
I would never say that I’m good enough to tune someone else’s car but I’m fine with tuning my own daily driver. But that’s about it. I have seen some tunes that made me wonder wtf were they thinking but not by lund or pbd

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Whether or not tuning your own car is a good idea or not depends on. 1. modifications to the car. 2. power level. 3. personal knowledge of tuning. 4. time.
I would never say that I’m good enough to tune someone else’s car but I’m fine with tuning my own daily driver. But that’s about it. I have seen some tunes that made me wonder wtf were they thinking but not by lund or pbd
I agree - and these are very good points! My personal experience and because as I say above - I would not personally tune my own car - I have to remember that some people are actually pretty good at it. It is not something I personally do - and I just see work effort and disaster because I don't do it lol.

Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If the wet clutches actually "slip" under high HP, they are toast real quick.

I can't imagine any software that causes the clutches to slip on purpose since wet, fiber clutches are by nature not tolerate of slippage.

I used to build transmissions for the strip years back and when the shifts are super quick (essentially by passing the accumulator's) with sufficient line pressure, the clutches can last a very long time.

I have seen transmissions with many hundreds of 1/4 mile passes and you can still see the names/numbers (such as Raybestos) on the fiber plates when torn down to freshen the trans.

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
To be clear, I’m not playing with any of the pressures, ramp rates, torque rates, etc. Ford already programmed all that for 3 selectable shift characters, with drag mode obviously being the most aggressive. All I did was apply the drag mode shift character to all drive modes, then applied torque reduction during those shifts. Stock does not apply torque reduction during drag mode shifts, but stock is only 420 ftlb, so I think it will improve the life.

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Correct but even though you paddle down to first and manually shift through the gears in manual mode it will still downshift on its own if you let it stopping at 2nd correct?
I checked today and if you’re in paddle shift mode it will downshift to first still. When I made the changes I did it to sport mode and select shift mode has its own tables I didn’t modify, so I’m not surprised. It was t my goal at the time.
Sponsored