Transmission Gear Oil

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
What are you guys/gals using for trans gear oil? Thinking about changing, and looking at the RP Syntax (or whatever it is called) Any other better options? I'd like to change out at around 5K miles and get rid of the cold hesitation into second. I don't have the 3rd gear lockout some have complained about, but 2nd feels a bit too knotchy, especially when cold.

Also, seems I've read that the transmission gearing is different in the Bullitt? TIA
Sponsored

Last edited:

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
First of all, it doesn't matter where the Chinese MT-82/D4, or the Mexican Tremec TR-3160, are made; they'd use the same oil, so I'd suggest to drop the trumpian labels :).

Second of all, the BG Synchro-Shift II oil gets good reviews with the '15-'17 MT-82 trannies, but basically no changes with the '18+ D4 newer version. I don't have any real issues with my tranny, but will also change both tranny and diff fluids at next oil change, around 6K miles. Since it has DCT fluid now, I'm debating if I should just keep the stock fluid, or switch to a similar DCT-F fluid, either from Redline or Motul. I just want to remove all the assembly and break-in crap from there, especially the differential, since Ford uses a black oxide coating on the gears that gets transferred to the fluid.

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
First of all, it doesn't matter where the Chinese MT-82/D4, or the Mexican Tremec TR-3160, are made; they'd use the same oil, so I'd suggest to drop the trumpian labels :).
When you've owned both Bavarian and Chinese manufactured MT-82 cars, come back and tell me there's no differences. It's clear you haven't used SS II in your MT-82 , so when you can speak with experience please come back and let us know after you've swapped your factory fill with whatever you choose. I have swapped my Bullitt to SS II, and there are noticeable differences in shifting

Please don't lecture me. I built, own and operate a large factory in Shenzhen PRC. ZF is a customer, so I know a bit about transmissions as a Tier 1 supplier the auto industry, specifically transmissions and shift linkage components.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
I'm running the ford stuff. I put in a request to have it changed out due to some light clunking during operating temps, but was denied by ford because, "[my] lowered car can put extra angle on the drivetrain that results in harmonic inconsistencies". My dealer called bs on Oasis and was informed to shut their trap and "trust the system".

It is likely I will give the ford stuff one more try after a home drain and fill. I seriously think the bulk of the issue is:
  1. that the fluid is already a year or so old when most of us grab our car
  2. ford does not suggest break in drain and fill anymore (to lower perceived CoO)
Give the ford fluid another shot after a fresh drain and fill. Worst case, the problem will persist, but then you can take it to ford and have them deal with it (as your car is not lowered).

Sponsored

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I haven't changed my transmission oil yet (17k miles) but at my next service I'm going to switch to BG Syncro Shift II.

DarkHorse17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V-6 6-speed
I just did mine at 27K miles and it was a HUGE improvement.
No more cold temp notchy feel and the 1-2 shift syncro "nibble" is GONE !
My only problem was the pickup tube would fall off the hand pump.
I got a big glass jar and poured the final 1/2 of the tranny fluid into that so I didn't have to fish the tube out of the black plastic fluid container.
Other than that it was super easy and effective.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I changed to BG at about 25k and did not see an appreciable difference, but then I did not have any real issues with the transmission to begin with. Yeah, it could be a bit notchy when cold, but so am I. I can say shifting does get better with age. Kinda wish I did too.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I changed to BG at about 25k and did not see an appreciable difference, but then I did not have any real issues with the transmission to begin with. Yeah, it could be a bit notchy when cold, but so am I. I can say shifting does get better with age. Kinda wish I did too.
I agree BG is good for a manual box, ran it for 30+ years in a Harley. Sold 5 years back replaced with a mill & lathe.

Not sure about you but shifting got better with the 6sp with seat time, always owning 4sps .

Not directed at you, can tell you know.

Couple of thoughts, the clunk folks whine about. Don't understand what they are hearing. Unlike a slush box, that constantly by design. Preloads the gear train in such a way, torque converter . The clearances found in gears when meshed, tooth to tooth , Is not heard as they unload & load .

Slow rolling clutch disengaged, off the gas gear unloads. Gas applied, the gear loads clunk.

It is avoidable with skills acquired driving a standard transmission.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
What are you guys/gals using for trans gear oil? Thinking about changing, and looking at the RP Syntax (or whatever it is called) Any other better options? I'd like to change out at around 5K miles and get rid of the cold hesitation into second. I don't have the 3rd gear lockout some have complained about, but 2nd feels a bit too knotchy, especially when cold.

Also, seems I've read that the transmission gearing is different in the Bullitt? TIA
I changed to the Ravenol MTF-2 last year, but did not notice a difference in shifting smoothness over the stock Ford fill, which is WSS-M2C200-D2. It looks like Ford recently changed the spec for the MT-82 and now recommends a fluid formulated just for the MT-82.

https://www.msds.ford.com/cpc/productDetails.asp?pgn=8&FIRNo=189486

While the MT-82 D4 tranny is a tremendous improvement over the MT-82 in my previous 2012 GTCS, I still think it could be smoother. In the spring I will either try the new Ford fluid or latest Ravenol which is formulated to the new spec:

RAVENOL J1C1003 SAE 75W
Manual Transmission Fluid -
MTF-3 Full Synthetic

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Edit:

Just combed the Ravenol website and they do not formulate a manual transmission fluid with the WSS-M2C200-D3 spec, so I will be refilling with the Ford product to meet the new standard. There has to be a reason why it's changed, and just maybe it will make shifting even better!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I remember looking into that, and what I found was that Ford has used the same fluid since the beginning (2015), which is a DCT fluid. Where did you get the information that the fluid changed? Just curious if you looked deeper than I did. I plan to also change the fluid at around 6K miles, in a few months. I'm currently between the stock DCT fluid and Motul DCT-F, which is highly regarded.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have swapped my Bullitt to SS II, and there are noticeable differences in shifting
[/QUOTE]

the only shifting issue I have with my Bullitt is an occasional cluck when I put it in gear. Will changing the oil improve this? Thanks

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
the only shifting issue I have with my Bullitt is an occasional cluck when I put it in gear. Will changing the oil improve this? Thanks
If you're talking about the "thunk" when you first put it into gear while stopped, no, it will not.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
If you're talking about the "thunk" when you first put it into gear while stopped, no, it will not.
I have the same and was told that's how it is. At first I was a little bummed but now I'm liking the mechanical "feel" of it. Our cars are not perfect but they have character. Look at the C8...engineered to almost perfection but lacking a soul.
Sponsored