Sponsored

Transmission fluid recommendation for manual?

Ragamuffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 manual Mach 1
OP
OP
Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 manual Mach 1
From the 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Supplement
Capicity.png
Thanks, any idea if that is what it comes with from the factory?

My shift into first sometimes gives a clunk (only at 1k miles on the car), but I also had a really hard time getting into first / reverse when I first picked the car up. That has largely gone away around mile 80, but I'm still getting the occassional clunk.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
The Tremec takes time to break in, this is covered quite a bit on some other threads. General smoothness improves with time, and the trans likes to be fully warmed up before being put through the paces.

Additionally it seems "the Tremec doesn't reward rush shifting". These are the words of instructor and pro driver at Track Attack, I agree.

With all that said I wouldn't go changing fluid yet, its way to early. Maybe just check the fluid level, and let it run its course. Your case sounds normal.

As with any problem that occurs during warranty you have to decide for yourself the severity of the problem, and take it to the dealer to get it documented if necessary. This can be crucial in the future if something more develops.

Sponsored

Rock50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have more miles on mine, but been reading a few threads where replacing with D4 (or something other than the stock ATF) made significant improvements to shift performance.

Clint81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Additionally it seems "the Tremec doesn't reward rush shifting". These are the words of instructor and pro driver at Track Attack, I agree.
I had not heard that before, but this matches my experience 100%. Another way to say it, my Tremec rewards slower, low-effort shifting. The more I muscle it, the crunchier it gets.

I will either try the Redline D4 or MTF on my next fill.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
I had not heard that before, but this matches my experience 100%. Another way to say it, my Tremec rewards slower, low-effort shifting. The more I muscle it, the crunchier it gets.

I will either try the Redline D4 or MTF on my next fill.
I agreed with what he was saying in conversation he elaborated a bit more.

ME: I feel like I have to be more precise with the Tremec than MT82, and it doesn't like rush shifting"

Him: "Yeah the Mach's don't reward rush shifting. In a race car transmission its even worse you have to be right on, just a hair off and it wont shift right. The tremec is a way better transmission than MT82 though.

Me: Sure is! Feels a lot more robust and confidence inspiring than MT82. It was a big selling point for me on the Mach 1. This was my first time using no lift and its awesome! plus I liked the parts bin special thing of the Mach 1 they are all proven parts.

Him: With a big smile "people don't understand how important this is, THIS is actually what you want, parts that we know work for the application. These cars great really well equipped for track duty

Having never personally drove a true race car transmission, I can't say..... but I appreciated his insights and what he was saying felt genuine.

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I switched to d4, I used both d4 and amsoil in my t56, D4 aways served me well. The LV is like water and trash imo. I did a lot of research on what the gt350 crowd uses, no real consensus, some even used a mixture of fluids. Many like mtf, syncromesh, DCTF from the focus or varous atfs, d4, amsoil, motul etc. So far the D4 had been a significant change in shift quality, and got ride of a cold gear nibble in 5th. I stayed with ATF in case I have a warranty concern in the future with the trans. After I sure it's good, I might try mtf or another option.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
For those interested in comparing alternative fills, again I would wait a few thousand miles before I would do this, that is just my humble opinion... but here are the viscosity ratings of Mercon LV compared to Redline D4 & other info

Motorcraft manual transmission fluid fill chart
https://www.motorcraft.com/content/...ce_charts/manual transmission fluid chart.pdf

More recomendations from Ford on ATF fluids specifically. I couldn't find a 2021+ brochure, only a 2017 version
https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/docs/Automatic_Transmission_Fluid_Sales_Brochure_2017.pdf

Notice for all, *Mercon LV IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OTHER MERCON SPECIFICATIONS

Motorcraft Mercon LV
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/additionalinfo/Product Data Sheet MERCON LV.pdf

MERCON® LV
license number MLV070701
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) 0.842
Density, lb/gal 7.01
Flash Point, COC, °C (°F) 216 (421)
Viscosity
cSt @100°C 6.0
cSt @ 40°C 29.6

cSt @ -40°C 10200
Viscosity Index 155
Pour Point, °C (°F) < -48 (< -54)

Redline D4 & other Redline Products
https://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/ATF PDS 1-10.pdf
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 7.5
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 34.0
Viscosity Index 198

Brookfield Vis@-40°C, 52
Pour Point, °C -60
Pour Point, °F -76
Flash Point, °C 225
Flash Point, °F 437

I think D6 ATF might be an acceptable alternative also. It is thinner viscosity more towards LV spec than D4. Those with more specified knowledge please chime in

D6 ATF
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 6.4
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 30.7
Viscosity Index 166

Brookfield Vis@-40°C, 45
Pour Point, °C -60
Pour Point, °F -76
Flash Point, °C 249
Flash Point, °F 480

Sponsored

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I did endless hours of research on what the gt350 crowd uses, the only consensus is it needs a thicker fluid, and I agree...will LV work? Of course, it's the latest spec and the best for mpg/emissions, so ford specs it's. If you think tremec build the trans around LV...well I can't help you. If you like how it shifts, leave it alone. MTL is probably the best, but I stuck with ATF, d4 worked great in my built t56. The ACDelcp fluid is also highly regarded with the camaro crowd.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I did endless hours of research on what the gt350 crowd uses, the only consensus is it needs a thicker fluid, and I agree...will LV work?
Why it needs a thicker fluid? I am genuinely curious, not questioning your research. When I saw the fluid in the transmission, I was surprised myself, and I was not alone, as it did not look very convincing. On the other hand, I would prefer to believe that Ford put it there for a reason and considering that the transmission is not cheap, nor an insignificant part of the car, I would not expect the reasons to be just circumstantial.

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
It will only take 30 seconds of driving it to realize why, I heard how great the tr3160 was and was sorely disappointed compared to my c5s build t56...I was met with with clunkly shifts and a gear nibble going into 5th, all which was solved with d4...ford and any oem are going to spec the latest fluid revision that will achieve the highest level of mpg/emissions compliance, and not have a high failure rate during the warranty period.. it's not a decision which fluids actually best for performance.

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
In addition, I was having slight clutch jutter, I broke in the clutch properly was a little pissed...that is also gone with the fluid change. Seems to be a result of the thin fluid allowing some vibration that mimics a clutch jutter.

Clint81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Just wanted to report in, I've been running the Red Line D4 for about 1500 miles now and am really happy with it. Shifts are smoother and a lot of the crunchyness going into 3rd and 5th is gone. I may try the MTL this summer but this is a nice improvement. Thank you for the recommendation!
Sponsored