Joeblowv1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2005 F150 FX4
Hey all,

Wanted to quickly reach out about a slight concern on my new Bullitt. Figured I'd go to the source where a lot of you would have similar and accurate feedback to send my way.

My "new" 19 bullitt has 300 miles on it now. Still taking it a bit easy on the thing for those first 1000 miles, but the one thing that somewhat "worries me" is the first shift or two starting up on these cold mornings. I've googled around and see people mention the transmission being "notchy" initially but I'm not sure that is how I would describe it. It almost feels like the clutch is "slipping" or something like that until I get a few shifts under way.

There is a definite shudder that you can feel through the car, and i've tried to vary how long I hold the clutch at the grab point, vary how many rpms I'm giving it etc to see if I can prevent the issue. I switched to the Steeda clutch spring, and true to form the grab point is now very predictable, so its not like I'm failing to notice where I need to be with the clutch. After 2-3 shifts everything is smooth as butter, so I'm just not sure what I'm experiencing here.

Not sure if this could also be combined with (or totally) some sort of tire grabbing issue/traction control as its about 20-30 degrees on average right now when I'm getting the thing moving, and I'm on stock summer only rubber.

Can anyone else share their experience from when they first got their Bullitt with their trans and if it felt the same at all?
Sponsored

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
Many discussions on the MT-6speed being notchy when cold, to the point where it's basically "normal". Mine isn't to bad, I notice it from 2-3 gear but my car does't sit outside so the tranny isn't super cold.

OP
OP

Joeblowv1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Many discussions on the MT-6speed being notchy when cold, to the point where it's basically "normal". Mine isn't to bad, I notice it from 2-3 gear but my car does't sit outside so the tranny isn't super cold.
If by "notchy" you mean that "thud into gear" feel than yes I feel that and it is not a huge concern

Im more talking about the car itself feeling like its shuddering when getting off of the clutch in first gear when starting the car up when cold.

Just seems like "notchy" is a term that everyone uses a little differently, so its hard to tell what people are actually describing.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have the same exact feeling now that it's cold. Feels like clutch shudder, but it's not, since it'd keep happening. I'm blaming the tires, differential, or both, since it only happens when taking off my driveway, where I have to back up the street at full lock, and turn to full lock the other way before releasing the clutch in first gear. It doesn't happen when reversing straight out of the garage. Only when I take off at full lock. Doesn't feel nice, but I don't think it's a problem, especially now that at least it happens to both of us :). And yes, the tranny is notchy for a while, until it heats up. That's perfectly normal not only on our cars, but all manuals I've ever owned.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I suspect it's because the fluid is almost in solid form hence the stiff feedback

Sponsored

OP
OP

Joeblowv1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I had a conversation with my brother in law who was in the car with me recently

We both sorta agree its the really thin trans fluid. he had an old (if you can believe this) Triumph TR7 that he relied on as his only car when he was about 20 or so, and had a similar occurrence when the car was warming up.

Can someone explain what they mean by "Notchy"? I've read a few different thing from "old car grindy hard to shift" to "Hard to push the shifter into gear" I haven't really had the car feel hard to push into gear itself, just that crappy slippy rough feeling before I drive just a tiny bit.

Come to think of it, on my old 2005 v6 5speed, I would get something similar if the car hadn't been driven for awhile and it was extremely cold outside (like less than 10 degrees F)

As long as its normal I can live with it, just want to make sure its not something I need to keep an eye on, or that there is something I need to do to prevent any undue wear and tear down the road.

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
If by "notchy" you mean that "thud into gear" feel than yes I feel that and it is not a huge concern

Im more talking about the car itself feeling like its shuddering when getting off of the clutch in first gear when starting the car up when cold.

Just seems like "notchy" is a term that everyone uses a little differently, so its hard to tell what people are actually describing.
I haven’t experienced what you’re describing

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
My "new" 19 bullitt has 300 miles on it now...
Not sure if this could also be combined with (or totally) some sort of tire grabbing issue/traction control as it's about 20-30 degrees on average right now when I'm getting the thing moving, and I'm on stock summer only rubber.

If you're really sporting Michi PS4S in 20* weather I guarantee some of the judder from dead stop is the tries protesting, not your clutch. Do a little investigating on Michelin's warning about these specific summer tires (not generic summer tires) in temps < 40*F

OP
OP

Joeblowv1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
If you're really sporting Michi PS4S in 20* weather I guarantee some of the judder from dead stop is the tries protesting, not your clutch. Do a little investigating on Michelin's warning about these specific summer tires (not generic summer tires) in temps < 40*F
Yeah I definitely had a feeling that may have a lot to do with it, I have been looking into all season tires and whatnot as I do plan on getting a second set of wheels.

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
đź‘Ť You'll be surprised the difference a set of all season, all weather or winter tires will make. I once removed the winter set from the Bullitt a month too early, and couldn't get back up my driveway!! A bonus - you and your car will be much safer.

Sponsored

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
I get a little clutch shudder when its cold, too. I wouldn't worry about it. Just take it easy until its warmed up.

spectreman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
I agree w/what everyone else has said so far. Have you added the Steeda clutch spring perch kit? I did recently and it cleaned up the clutch feel about 146%, providing a far more consistent & progressive pedal feel.
Lee

OP
OP

Joeblowv1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I agree w/what everyone else has said so far. Have you added the Steeda clutch spring perch kit? I did recently and it cleaned up the clutch feel about 146%, providing a far more consistent & progressive pedal feel.
Lee

I did! It definitely helped a lot, so I know i'm not missing the release point now.
I tend to type a lot (too much) but yeah probably a combo of tires and the weather. Again as long as its not a big concern I can live with it.

ttillub19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blade
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Normal! Every manual I've owned has done the same as far back as the 80's-90's with Honda's and RX7's!

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
My Bullitt did not have good clutch engagement. Remember the '18+ have a dual mass flywheel and dual clutch. The long gearing and the clutch was just not fun to drive and engage. Better transmission gearing or a bigger rear axle gear takes a lot of issues off the clutch.

I don't think it is your Michelins. No, you shouldn't drive with them on under 45F according to Michelin, and yes, A/S tires would grip and ride better in the cold. But, I couldn't stand the clutch in my Bullitt. And here is the funny thing, I compared my Whipple charged Bullitt with the 373s to my 2011 Brembo Mustang GT with 373s and a Roush. I drag raced that '11 over a 100 passes and the car and clutch never missed a beat.

When I went to the strip with the Bullitt, the 2-3 shift at 100+ miles and hour caused serious clutch slippage. The gearing is just tooooo long. And, this translates to having to slip the clutch more than you should with a manual trans. And, yes, I have owned 5 manual transmission Mustangs so I can compare the Bullitt to the others. There is no question the engagement is just not really intuitive or easy.

To compare I recently bought a 2016 used GT premium with the 6 speed and 331 axle which gives similar overall gearing to the Bullitt. With 48K miles on it. Easy clutch engagement, fast shifts, no slippage.

Some of what you are experiencing is not normal perhaps, but some, to my experience is the way the car just is.
Sponsored