kzrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner TRD off-road
My understanding is that the Trail hunter comes with a fresh air scoop.

This got me thinking about using the truck for river crossings where the water would be above the hood slightly.

I believe that in it's current set up this maneuver would not be doable.

Not being an engineer I half to wonder what it would take to make such a fording possible. IE, how hard would it be to add an aftermarket snorkel and completely seal the air system?

Rhino-Rack

First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Toyota 4Runner
You can look at past generations for a best guess right now. Without a snorkel, the 6th gen engine looks to draw in air from the front passenger fender (usually above the wheel well). There will most definitely be aftermarket options that offer the same functionality as the Trail Hunter.

The other major consideration is extending the breathers of your front/rear differentials as high as possible. Front extensions usually go in the engine bay, rears have been extended to the gas filler in previous gens.

OP
OP

kzrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner TRD off-road
You can look at past generations for a best guess right now. Without a snorkel, the 6th gen engine looks to draw in air from the front passenger fender (usually above the wheel well). There will most definitely be aftermarket options that offer the same functionality as the Trail Hunter.

The other major consideration is extending the breathers of your front/rear differentials as high as possible. Front extensions usually go in the engine bay, rears have been extended to the gas filler in previous gens.
Are you referring to making say a TRD Pro into a Trail Hunter?

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
I don't think that driving in water that's over the hood is a very good idea. I'm fairly certain that it's not good to submerse your engine under water. Especially if it's a hybrid.

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don't think that driving in water that's over the hood is a very good idea. I'm fairly certain that it's not good to submerse your engine under water. Especially if it's a hybrid.
I concur, but I would say unequivocally it is a bad idea to give your engine a bath.