Sponsored

Trading up to a 350R - Anything I should watch for?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
They are saying that the MagneRide calibrations and ABS calibrations have been changed because of new faster software. So different calibrations throughout modules. The dampers may be the same because the magnetorheological fluid acts the same when triggered. So I would not expect that part to change as a current goes into the fluid and changes the stiffness of the damper. But the upgraded electronics modules and processors which controls the damper stiffness (hardware) allows for the upgraded software which results in faster response times, better braking etc.., etc..
The part I was wondering about was the quoted part;
"We improved the ABS, particularly for track mode. We worked quite a bit on improving its disturbance rejection, working a bit on how well it trail-brakes from turn-in down to apex. That is part of redoing the chassis, redoing the tire and everything else. Springs are redone, shocks are redone- all that stuff is a package."
They say springs and shocks - you aren't programming springs :)

I'm a little of the "trust but verify" breed :) Sometimes I wonder if some of these updates go the way of the track key. How would we know for sure?
Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
The part I was wondering about was the quoted part;

They say springs and shocks - you aren't programming springs :)

I'm a little of the "trust but verify" breed :) Sometimes I wonder if some of these updates go the way of the track key. How would we know for sure?
Okay so for that quote, yah, they say they changed shocks and the springs. I have to take their word for that. I would say that there are many times where the part numbers do not change for a second. The reality is I have to take Ford's word that they changed the parts that they say they changed. I would never be in a position in an editorial to say "show me the part number difference".

For the upgrading, I, a 2018 owner, was interested in upgrading to the new changes, thus the follow-ups were a little self-serving but alas, easier to upgrade to a 2019-2020 if you want that 1-second upgrade.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I agree - you're not doing investigative reporting at that point :) Marketing always has their hands in the mix and things do change along the way sometimes... Based on the part numbers available now for purchase and warranty replacement, I'm going to say that the actual suspension hardware (springs and dampers) have not changed for any of these cars along the way. Sounds like it was just a software update and I'm willing to bet it all revolves around the tires..which is what would instigate damper tuning and especially ABS changes to take advantage of the increased grip. Technically, this is awesome and it proves again that the cars are more than a sum of their parts..changes were made to make sure it was a package that worked well together. That said, the marketing "touch" is apparent :)

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R #KR666, 2023 Bronco Sasquatch
If you are going to upgrade from an '18 I assume you will be keeping it a while.
Yup.

First, I would only go with an '19 or '20, due to the change to the reinforced GT500 block for those years.
Done.

So, unless you are a) entranced by the image of owning an R model,
Entranced by the "image".. No. Entranced by the R model itself? You bet.

b) a very experienced and talented track competitor,
Competitor? Not as much. Talented track driver? Very much so.

c) intrigued by the carbon fiber wheels (knowing full well the positive and negative aspects),
Absolutely.

or d) you have succumbed to the ego aspect of saying you own an R model, it make little quantitative sense to spend the money for an R model.
Stupidest sh*t I've read all day. All week even? Probably.

I've already upped the hp to 710 without impacting my warranty, and being an average driver I can still kill myself with half that horsepower. Would definitely enhance my ego and bragging rights but, other than on the track or the Nurburgring (where I've driven a "million" times in my life) I have very little opportunity to utilize either car.
Amazing story. Tell it again

Of course it's your money so spend it however you want.
You could have started - and ended - your post with just this.
Sponsored