Sponsored

Trading up to a 350R - Anything I should watch for?

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R #KR666, 2023 Bronco Sasquatch
Got it. I’m amazed the previous owner didn’t have the slightest bit of paint protect installed before driving 5k. Especially with a black car.
He did have ceramic coating, at least. I won't lie it was almost a deal breaker for me until I realized that it's such a small area that's affected, and easy to refinish if I really wanted to. The full front end and rear spoiler will be covered soon though so the important thing is that it doesn't get worse. If it truly bothers me one day I'll spend the time/money to refinish it.
Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
It’s insanely cool looking! SO happy for you.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Car is really pretty. If it wasn’t so dusty and hot as… in the summer here that would have been my first choice for color combination.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I can't! It's already custom lol.

1629379763329.png

1629380281957.png

Not really. An older gentleman owned it along with some other cars in his collection and it was just too much for him apparently. The brakes still seem new and tire tread doesn't have any indication of being on a track, not recently anyways. Car has under 5k miles in any case

A member here kind enough to go and look at it for me had some great things to say about it but enough bad things to push me away. The Ruby Red was a 2018 with 14k miles - this is a 2019 with 5k miles for only around 12% more in terms of cost than the 2018. So 12% got me 1/3 of the mileage, gen 2 voodoo, solid brake rotors, carbon interior, B&O sound, etc. And it was local so I didn't have to spend money on transport. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

LOL just been super busy at work. I've actually been avoiding driving it for now - the only downside to this particular car was that the 5k miles it has been driven on was with no PPF/stoneguard. The bottom part of the bumper could use some refinishing if I wasn't so particular. But yeah I'm having the entire front end covered next week.

I'm not getting into this.
Congratulations Iain on the purchase of this outstanding looking car and there is no question in my mind that you made the right decision regarding the purchase of your 2019 R model.

Happy and safe motoring going forward as I know that your new R model will provide you with a great deal of driving excitement and pleasure!

:like: :like:

Sponsored

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
If you are going to upgrade from an '18 I assume you will be keeping it a while.

First, I would only go with an '19 or '20, due to the change to the reinforced GT500 block for those years.

Second, I'm sure I'll get pushback on the following, which I understand and certainly expect. Starting with the '19, the magazine reviewers, and Ford, say that the overall suspension changes (to '19's & 20"s), including the MagneRide shock system (a terrific system, same as on my C7 Z06), are very close to the R version.

So, unless you are a) entranced by the image of owning an R model, b) a very experienced and talented track competitor, c) intrigued by the carbon fiber wheels (knowing full well the positive and negative aspects), or d) you have succumbed to the ego aspect of saying you own an R model, it make little quantitative sense to spend the money for an R model.

Similar consideration exists for me to consider trading in my C7 Z06 for a 2019 ZR1. Great car but, I've already upped the hp to 710 without impacting my warranty, and being an average driver I can still kill myself with half that horsepower. Would definitely enhance my ego and bragging rights but, other than on the track or the Nurburgring (where I've driven a "million" times in my life) I have very little opportunity to utilize either car.

Of course it's your money so spend it however you want. Ultimately, it's simply your decision. Not from any of us. Just be prepared to live with it when you take the plungs.

In the interest of disclosure I have a 2019 GT350, upgraded to 550 hp. Love the car.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
If you are going to upgrade from an '18 I assume you will be keeping it a while.

First, I would only go with an '19 or '20, due to the change to the reinforced GT500 block for those years.

Second, I'm sure I'll get pushback on the following, which I understand and certainly expect. Starting with the '19, the magazine reviewers, and Ford, say that the overall suspension changes (to '19's & 20"s), including the MagneRide shock system (a terrific system, same as on my C7 Z06), are very close to the R version.

So, unless you are a) entranced by the image of owning an R model, b) a very experienced and talented track competitor, c) intrigued by the carbon fiber wheels (knowing full well the positive and negative aspects), or d) you have succumbed to the ego aspect of saying you own an R model, it make little quantitative sense to spend the money for an R model.

Similar consideration exists for me to consider trading in my C7 Z06 for a 2019 ZR1. Great car but, I've already upped the hp to 710 without impacting my warranty, and being an average driver I can still kill myself with half that horsepower. Would definitely enhance my ego and bragging rights but, other than on the track or the Nurburgring (where I've driven a "million" times in my life) I have very little opportunity to utilize either car.

Of course it's your money so spend it however you want. Ultimately, it's simply your decision. Not from any of us. Just be prepared to live with it when you take the plungs.

In the interest of disclosure I have a 2019 GT350, upgraded to 550 hp. Love the car.
Not sure where to start with some of your comments therefore will just say that there are ~3,500 2nd generation R model owners that obviously got it all wrong according to you including those R models owners who did not purchase either a 2019 or 2020 model.

Happy that you have driven the Nurburgring a million times but not sure what relevance that has for us young and older enthusiasts who decided that we wanted the very best balanced and best overall performing Mustang Shelby GT350 of all time which just happens to be the 2nd generation R model.

After being around the Blue Oval brand for many decades I have been very fortunate to have had some very interesting discussions with many senior individuals from both Dearborn and Flat Rock especially in recent years and in all cases the conversations were unanimous that the 2nd generation R model was the best performing and balanced Mustang that Ford has ever produced and that includes the launch of the 3rd generation GT500 in 2020.

The 2nd generation GT350 is an outstanding automobile no matter whether it be a 2015 model or a 2020 model, but for you to quantify that us R model owners spent our money wastefully is quite hilarious.

I find it interesting that you presently own a couple of 2 seat GT350's from 1965 and could have had a 4 seat '65 K code Mustang from the same model year for a whole lot less money than what you paid for your '65 GT350's and yet according to you all us R model owners have wasted our money on a 2 seat GT350?

Do you track either of your '65 GT350's or purchased them just because they are very cool cars to own, drive or show but whatever the case congratulations on owning a couple of outstanding 2 seat GT350's?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Sorry, but did you read any of the original posts by the thread starter? He already had a regular 350 and wanted to go up to an R. Which he has already done. And I have both, a reg 350 and an R. Even in normal driving conditions a difference in the two is apparent. Get them on a track and its even greater. The rest of the post reads like those that attempt to compare there Gt with a 350 based on dollars.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, slight change of plans but I ended up buying a gorgeous black 2019 tech pack R with the carbon interior. Chassis KR666 :devil:
493CFF59-2532-4EDE-95AD-3B3BD64A7AFF.jpeg
FFC4E0DA-8A1B-4A30-BF5E-AB6A05196F96.jpeg
Ooooooo..... nice 350GT-R and the Chassis Build # is just as devilish as the color combo! 😁:devil:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Sorry, but did you read any of the original posts by the thread starter? He already had a regular 350 and wanted to go up to an R. Which he has already done. And I have both, a reg 350 and an R. Even in normal driving conditions a difference in the two is apparent. Get them on a track and its even greater. The rest of the post reads like those that attempt to compare there Gt with a 350 based on dollars.
I read some of these and laugh. On your last point - I cant NOT agree more that there isn't a better value for great looking street car than the Mustang GT - it's really hard to beat for the money. It's when GT owners try to justify why they didn't buy a 350 or why someone else shouldn't have, that it gets silly. Say it's better for someone's specific use, great, that's on point but to say it's a better performance car? No. The GT certainly gets you more HP per dollar, that's the awesomeness of the platform - but everyone knows that the last 20% always costs 40% more ;) It's the law of diminishing returns.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

Where does Ford say this? Sometimes magazines like to make a "point" for their article but don't really give all the data. For example -

19R - ABS updates, Mageneride programming updates - actual part number on the dampers is R specific (so the hardware and software combo will not be easily replicated in a non R).
20R - all of the above plus different knuckles and steering components...likely with additional EPAS, ABS and suspension tuning changes.

Your ABCD is pretty funny though. What about this one - You just want the best and are willing to pay extra for it and don't give a crap that other people are out there on the internet who want to judge you.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Where does Ford say this? Sometimes magazines like to make a "point" for their article but don't really give all the data. For example -

19R - ABS updates, Mageneride programming updates - actual part number on the dampers is R specific (so the hardware and software combo will not be easily replicated in a non R).
20R - all of the above plus different knuckles and steering components...likely with additional EPAS, ABS and suspension tuning changes.

Your ABCD is pretty funny though. What about this one - You just want the best and are willing to pay extra for it and don't give a crap that other people are out there on the internet who want to judge you.
My article gave examples of those specific changes when I discussed the 2019 changes with Ford Performance's Vehicle Dynamics Engineer Steven Thompson in a phone call interview between me and Ford Motor Company.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/sibling-rivalry-comparing-2019-gt350-gt350r/

We discussed the 2019 base model changes. The difference between the base model’s cup 2 Tires and the R models cup 2 tires. Suspension calibration changes of the base model, and Aerodynamic changes (I.e. the swing).

The base model still has the taller sidewalls and sits higher than the R model. But Ford did speak in depth about the ABS changes, in particular, the newer servos and microchips that are in the 19 and 20 GT350 base model and GT350R models.

“The 2019 GT350 also sits at a higher ride height than the R. "Part of that is suspension, and again, part of that is the rolling radius of the tires," reveals Thompson. So, a GT350R is not simply a GT350 on smaller tires, there is a lot more going on under the surface. For example, the ABS has been revised on the 2019 GT350 base. Lessons learned during the 2020 GT500 development filtered down to the base model GT350. Thompson reports, "We improved the ABS, particularly for track mode. We worked quite a bit on improving its disturbance rejection, working a bit on how well it trail-brakes from turn-in down to apex. That is part of redoing the chassis, redoing the tire and everything else. Springs are redone, shocks are redone- all that stuff is a package."

My article was the first time that Ford mentioned the ABS changes that were carried over to the 2019 R models and it was the first time that Ford mentioned that the 2020 GT350R would receive its full model update in 2020.

“Unreported until now is the fact that the ABS changes also made it into the new 2019 GT350R. Thompson adds, "We did in fact change the ABS calibrations for the 2019 GT350R. While the rest of the changes are not as comprehensive as they are in the base GT350, we didn't go back after the MagneRide or make updates to the other systems, because frankly, the car doesn't need it. There may be a little more comprehensive stuff coming, potentially. That car doesn't have the magnitude of the updates because we don't have the parts change."

Despite the changes of the steering knuckle that the 350R inherited from the 500 development, the ABS changes were more significant as test driver or Billy Johnson told me in the later discussion. I think marketing perhaps kind of stymied the 350R updates because they wanted to focus to be on the base models in 2019 model year.

I also, in this article, brought up the shipping blocks on the R model and whether calibration was needed if the car had those blocks still in at the time of delivery or shortly after. They answer that questions well in depth about the reason for why the blocks and for how no calibration is needed once removed.

As for upgrading a previous 15 to 18 GT350R, short of stripping the car down to its frame and replacing every single electronic component, it cannot be done. The hardware is different than the 15-18 vehicles.

I got that answer when discussing the interview at the GT500 media tour in 2019. I brought up the 2019 GT350/GT350R ABS changes with one of the GT500 main engineers who was at the event on hand to speak to media about the new 760hp Shelby. Those two engineers had also been the lead engineers on the GT350 program.

As they explained it to me, The ABS changes are the result of new components that came out during the production run of the vehicles. During that time faster processing components entered the market. The ABS changes are the result of new components that came out from parts suppliers. So servos, faster processors, and other upgraded computer parts allow them to make the car react faster and improve trail braking, etc. so that the new GT350R is 1-second faster around a track than 15-18 GT350R. Does that matter to the real consumer? No, as most drivers cannot max out the performance so the car is capable of being 1-second faster, so most people will never see that difference because of mistakes on most laps. We also discussed the new heavier weight of the GT350R with larger sound systems and elimination of the base GT350R.

For the analogy on the components change, think of it like when the new iPhone comes out. They always talk about the new faster processor which is faster than the older processor etc.. 19 and 20 GT350s have new electronics that are faster than the older models. They made sure during the interview to point out that the changes to the 19-20s base models does not make those cars faster than the original GT350R, but it closed the gap. The 19 and 20 models expand that gap.

You can’t just change one module because it won’t communicate correctly to the older generation modules, so can you upgrade an older vehicle? Yes, only if you literally change every electronic component in the vehicle and then get the dealer to reprogram everything as a 2019 or 2020 but as the engineer told me you’re better off just buying an upgraded car if you’re dead set on doing that because it would be a lot easier. I.e. you need the new hardware to be able to use the new software.

As for lack of part numbers that’s not something that would be discussed in the regular article except any technical article piece which is trying to explain to a reader how they can select the right part for the vehicle. Again, that would be something that would be strictly in a technical article where you’re trying to tell people to distinguish between two different parts that look alike if they’re going to upgrade or install.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
My article gave examples of those specific changes when I discussed the 2019 changes with Ford Performance's Vehicle Dynamics Engineer Steven Thompson in a phone call interview between me and Ford Motor Company.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/sibling-rivalry-comparing-2019-gt350-gt350r/

We discussed the 2019 base model changes. The difference between the base model’s cup 2 Tires and the R models cup 2 tires. Suspension calibration changes of the base model, and Aerodynamic changes (I.e. the swing).

The base model still has the taller sidewalls and sits higher than the R model. But Ford did speak in depth about the ABS changes, in particular, the newer servos and microchips that are in the 19 and 20 GT350 base model and GT350R models.

“The 2019 GT350 also sits at a higher ride height than the R. "Part of that is suspension, and again, part of that is the rolling radius of the tires," reveals Thompson. So, a GT350R is not simply a GT350 on smaller tires, there is a lot more going on under the surface. For example, the ABS has been revised on the 2019 GT350 base. Lessons learned during the 2020 GT500 development filtered down to the base model GT350. Thompson reports, "We improved the ABS, particularly for track mode. We worked quite a bit on improving its disturbance rejection, working a bit on how well it trail-brakes from turn-in down to apex. That is part of redoing the chassis, redoing the tire and everything else. Springs are redone, shocks are redone- all that stuff is a package."

My article was the first time that Ford mentioned the ABS changes that were carried over to the 2019 R models and it was the first time that Ford mentioned that the 2020 GT350R would receive its full model update in 2020.

“Unreported until now is the fact that the ABS changes also made it into the new 2019 GT350R. Thompson adds, "We did in fact change the ABS calibrations for the 2019 GT350R. While the rest of the changes are not as comprehensive as they are in the base GT350, we didn't go back after the MagneRide or make updates to the other systems, because frankly, the car doesn't need it. There may be a little more comprehensive stuff coming, potentially. That car doesn't have the magnitude of the updates because we don't have the parts change."

Despite the changes of the steering knuckle that the 350R inherited from the 500 development, the ABS changes were more significant as test driver or Billy Johnson told me in the later discussion. I think marketing perhaps kind of stymied the 350R updates because they wanted to focus to be on the base models in 2019 model year.

I also, in this article, brought up the shipping blocks on the R model and whether calibration was needed if the car had those blocks still in at the time of delivery or shortly after. They answer that questions well in depth about the reason for why the blocks and for how no calibration is needed once removed.

As for upgrading a previous 15 to 18 GT350R, short of stripping the car down to its frame and replacing every single electronic component, it cannot be done. The hardware is different than the 15-18 vehicles.

I got that answer when discussing the interview at the GT500 media tour in 2019. I brought up the 2019 GT350/GT350R ABS changes with one of the GT500 main engineers who was at the event on hand to speak to media about the new 760hp Shelby. Those two engineers had also been the lead engineers on the GT350 program.

As they explained it to me, The ABS changes are the result of new components that came out during the production run of the vehicles. During that time faster processing components entered the market. The ABS changes are the result of new components that came out from parts suppliers. So servos, faster processors, and other upgraded computer parts allow them to make the car react faster and improve trail braking, etc. so that the new GT350R is 1-second faster around a track than 15-18 GT350R. Does that matter to the real consumer? No, as most drivers cannot max out the performance so the car is capable of being 1-second faster, so most people will never see that difference because of mistakes on most laps. We also discussed the new heavier weight of the GT350R with larger sound systems and elimination of the base GT350R.

For the analogy on the components change, think of it like when the new iPhone comes out. They always talk about the new faster processor which is faster than the older processor etc.. 19 and 20 GT350s have new electronics that are faster than the older models. They made sure during the interview to point out that the changes to the 19-20s base models does not make those cars faster than the original GT350R, but it closed the gap. The 19 and 20 models expand that gap.

You can’t just change one module because it won’t communicate correctly to the older generation modules, so can you upgrade an older vehicle? Yes, only if you literally change every electronic component in the vehicle and then get the dealer to reprogram everything as a 2019 or 2020 but as the engineer told me you’re better off just buying an upgraded car if you’re dead set on doing that because it would be a lot easier. I.e. you need the new hardware to be able to use the new software.

As for lack of part numbers that’s not something that would be discussed in the regular article except any technical article piece which is trying to explain to a reader how they can select the right part for the vehicle. Again, that would be something that would be strictly in a technical article where you’re trying to tell people to distinguish between two different parts that look alike if they’re going to upgrade or install.
It sounds like they are saying the 2019 shocks are "redone" - The best I can tell, the part number are the same for all magneride gt350s. GT350R has different part number dampers - cant confirm if that changed for 2020.

Interesting that Ford Parts shows the same part number for GT350R and GT500 for front dampers:
1629863078258.png

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Thanks for posting all this cool information and really confirms some of the differences that I felt when driving my 2020 HEP R back to back with my 2018 Base R on numerous occasions.

Having said that there is no question in my mind that the 2020 R model is the best balanced and best overall performing 2nd generation GT350 produced and for that matter the 2020 R is the best overall Mustang ever produced by the Ford Motor Company. :like: :like:

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
It sounds like they are saying the 2019 shocks are "redone" - The best I can tell, the part number are the same for all magneride gt350s. GT350R has different part number dampers - cant confirm if that changed for 2020.

Interesting that Ford Parts shows the same part number for GT350R and GT500 for front dampers:
1629863078258.png
They are saying that the MagneRide calibrations and ABS calibrations have been changed because of new faster software. So different calibrations throughout modules. The dampers may be the same because the magnetorheological fluid acts the same when triggered. So I would not expect that part to change as a current goes into the fluid and changes the stiffness of the damper. But the upgraded electronics modules and processors which controls the damper stiffness (hardware) allows for the upgraded software which results in faster response times, better braking etc.., etc..
Sponsored