Sponsored

Trading up to a 350R - Anything I should watch for?

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R #KR666, 2023 Bronco Sasquatch
Hi all,

I've owned my 2018 GT350 (White w/ Blue stripes) for a little over a year now and found a good price on a 2018 GT350R in Ruby Red. The dealer is offering me $10,000 over what I paid for my GT350 last year and they have the Red GT350R priced at $99,000. They've offered me $75,000 for mine. Prices are in Canadian, so I suppose $78,800 USD ish. Might be worth mentioning that the R has brand new Sport Cup 2 tires that aren't even mounted yet

It has 14,000 miles, my 350 has 11,000 miles. I personally do enjoy the idea of upgrading to an R, but based on the trade value/price difference do you think I'm getting a fair deal here? I've only been in this world for a year now so I could use some input from everyone here.

I love the Ruby Red, dearly. I think it's stunning. I love the rarity and exclusivity of this particular R - among all the track goodies etc. There's a bit of emotion involved here but definitely want to make sure I'm getting a fair deal..
Sponsored

Sargent1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H2910
Do it. I tracked my GT350 at Daytona yesterday and came away with the same feeling. I don't need an R, but I want an R. Beat it like a $2 rented mule. Ruby red is my favorite color also.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's a lot of miles for a car like this. I know people have more, but you have no idea if they are hard track miles or grandma miles. As a rule of thumb, the FP350S recommends engine overhaul at 40 hours of heavy track/competition use.

@honeybadger has more experience on this based on the amount of tracking he does and the intervals at which the engine needs a rebuild.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Do it. I tracked my GT350 at Daytona yesterday and came away with the same feeling. I don't need an R, but I want an R. Beat it like a $2 rented mule. Ruby red is my favorite color also.
I was there too. Which group were you in?

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
As a rule of thumb, the FP350S recommends engine overhaul at 40 hours of heavy track/competition use.
I didn't know about this. The previous owner traded it in for a Cayman GT4 so it is quite possible that he/she did track it.

I'm going to ask the dealer if they could have the previous owner reach out to me, doubt that they would facilitate that but it's worth a shot. Will also dig into service records and look for items like brakes etc and maybe that will give some insight into how much the car was tracked

Sponsored

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
Also for what it's worth, it's located in a northern province in Canada where you can only really drive the car from June to September!

GTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Somehow I understand this very well. The Gt350 is special and the R, a bit more so. How much, I can’t say as I haven’t driven an R.

From a performance standpoint I do also wonder if I had gotten the R, would I feel the need to mod the suspension as much. That said I planned to make mine even more track focused than an R with a focus on suspension, weight reduction, and aero.

Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Also for what it's worth, it's located in a northern province in Canada where you can only really drive the car from June to September!
Trying to understand what you mean by a northern province but whatever the case I am not aware of any road tracks up in the North if that is what you are referring to therefore not so sure that this car may have been tracked?

Having said that and as one other well informed member mentioned, this is a great deal of money for a 14,000 mile R model and if it was me I would either negotiate a much better price for this R model or walk away from this offering.

For what it is worth I bought a brand new 2018 GT350R in Canda and yes it was a Base R and obviously this 2018 R that you are looking at is an Electronics Package car with my MSRP coming in at ~$13,000 less than what this dealership is asking for with that many miles.

Good luck!

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
For what it is worth I bought a brand new 2018 GT350R in Canda and yes it was a Base R and obviously this 2018 R that you are looking at is an Electronics Package car with my MSRP coming in at ~$13,000 less than what this dealership is asking for with that many miles.

Good luck!
The used car market in general right now is kind of nuts. I mean, I paid $65,000 for my 2018 GT350 with 11,000km. It now has 18,000km, and they're giving me $75,000 for it. So you have to take into consideration not only the current used car market, but also the fact that these GT350's overall are in fact increasing in value.

There is a 2018 GT350 for sale down the street for me with 3500km, for $129,000.... Grey with black stripes, which I'm not even a huge fan of.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Before you sign any docs or run on an emotional buy, if the car is at a Ford Dealer, request a copy of the OASIS (or ETIS) report. That report will contain any and all regular maintenance OR warranty work performed on the car if it was serviced at ANY Ford Dealership. The report will also show any recalls (open or satisfied).

If the car isn’t at a Ford Dealer - ask for an OASIS or ETIS on these forums, others have supplied them to M6G members in thepast.

I would also make sure the timing chain system is checked, per the TSB threads that were posted in this very forum and the GT500 forum. Even if the vehicle doesn’t fall within any sequestered VIN list, still inquire. If the response is that it has not been done OR that it does not need to be done because it’s VIN wasn’t in the list, ask for it to be done anyway.

Also, back to the numbers… ok so they’re giving you $10k more for your trade, due to the crazy ass environment we’re in with new and used car sales… But how much more are they charging you for their vehicle? Sure, $10k more sounds great to many for a trade in, but if they’ve jacked their value $10k, or $10k+, regardless of an R or not and regardless of the current times - you’re not making any real gains - let alone probably paying more in tax too (if that applies in Canada).

You can still try to bring their value down to at least get a better deal.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
Before you sign any docs or run on an emotional buy, if the car is at a Ford Dealer, request a copy of the OASIS (or ETIS) report. That report will contain and any all regular maintenance OR warranty work performed on the car if it was serviced at ANY Ford Dealership. The report will also show any recalls (open or satisfied).

If the car isn’t at a Ford Dealer - ask for an OASIS or ETIS on these forums, others have supplied them to M6G members in thepast.

I would also make sure the timing chain system is checked, per the TSB threads that were posted in this very forum and the GT500 forum. Even if the vehicle doesn’t fall within any sequestered VIN list, still inquire. If the response is that it has not been done OR that it does not need to be done because it’s VIN wasn’t in the list, ask for it to be done anyway.

Also, back to the numbers… ok so they’re giving you $10k more for your trade, due to the crazy ass environment we’re in with new and used car sales… But how much more are they charging you for their vehicle? Sure, $10k more sounds great to many for a trade in, but if they’ve jacked their value $10k, or $10k+, regardless of an R or not and regardless of the current times - you’re not making any real gains - let alone probably paying more in tax too (if that applies in Canada).

You can still try to bring their value down to at least get a better deal.
The car is at a Porsche dealer. I can and will get the OASIS report from a friend of mine who got one for my current GT350. I'll also try and find out about the timing chain - could you send me that link to that thread by chance?

As for the numbers, I don't know what to say. There are only 2 GT350Rs for sale in Canada right now, as far as I can see; a 2018 with 2000 miles for $130,000 CAD or this one with 14k miles for $99,000 CAD. It's hard to say which price is fair and for what, at least in Canada!

RJ787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R [LR215]
The car is at a Porsche dealer. I can and will get the OASIS report from a friend of mine who got one for my current GT350. I'll also try and find out about the timing chain - could you send me that link to that thread by chance?

As for the numbers, I don't know what to say. There are only 2 GT350Rs for sale in Canada right now, as far as I can see; a 2018 with 2000 miles for $130,000 CAD or this one with 14k miles for $99,000 CAD. It's hard to say which price is fair and for what, at least in Canada!
Here you go, timing chain thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...er-service-guide-attached.158780/post-3235884

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I didn't know about this. The previous owner traded it in for a Cayman GT4 so it is quite possible that he/she did track it.

I'm going to ask the dealer if they could have the previous owner reach out to me, doubt that they would facilitate that but it's worth a shot. Will also dig into service records and look for items like brakes etc and maybe that will give some insight into how much the car was tracked
The only concern pertaining to tracking is the engine/drivetrain. If the car was tracked heavily, I would pass.

OP
OP
IainD90

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
The only concern pertaining to tracking is the engine/drivetrain. If the car was tracked heavily, I would pass.
I’ll do my best to try and have the previous owner get in touch with me and see about that.

Again there’s a very low mileage 2018 R local to me, but for $30,000 more and I’m not 100% sure if it would be worth it in the long run..

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
It’s interesting the 40 hour recommendation for going through the motors for heavy track use. I did get a chance to talk to a few of the mechanics at Fords Track Attack and asked them about the longevity in the motors in those cars. I was in one 350 with 11k miles and another with 13k. They told me they hadnt changed or done anything to the motors In the cars. Clutch’s were a different deal, but that’s driver related for the most part. I don’t know if you can consider that hard track use, but it’s definitely abuse.
Sponsored