Sponsored

Trading in the mustang come March

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
So next March I'm trading in the mustang. I need to go 4 doors and automatic and it'd be a daily driver.

Right now my choices are a Charger Scat pack and Golf R. My problem with the scat pack is it's HUGE and I have to drive in the winter (though rear wheel drive and snow doesn't phase me). My problem with the Golf R is it's so damn boring looking :p .

I've looked at a few other cars but none of them really do much for me like those two. I've always liked the hot hatches and muscle cars.

Not interested in the Focus RS (stick) or fusion sport. And I refuse to buy a wrx with that idiotic CVT.

I'd probably be happy enough with either one and frankly I don't want to post on the vw or charger sites and get pages of fanboy responses :p . Anybody got any good arguments or suggestions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Depends on price range.

You're at 2 opposite ends of the spectrum with those 2 cars. The charger is a larger car and the Golf isnt ALL that much bigger inside than the mustang. What does it have, an extra few inches inches of leg room if that?

Lots of sporty 4 door cars like an A4, 3 series, etc. out there. Depends on price range.

OP
OP

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Ya trying to stay under 45k. Never cared much for BWM and I plan to keep this one for a while, so trying to get something that won't annoy me after a couple of years.

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
For 45K you can pick up a used CTS-V that will look better, perform better and isn't a Dodge.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yea, that's tough as you have 2 cars on polar opposite spectrums. I'm partial to VW so would say go Golf R, except for the fact they are pricey. You can tune-up a GTI to the same power level....just won't be AWD. Dodge nor GM are on my wish list but the Chevy SS gets goods reviews from the car mags....but it looks like a rental car. What about a Taurus SHO?
http://www.offleaseonly.com/used-car/ford-taurus-sho-ecoboost-awd-1fahp2kt1fg148424.htm
Not going to find much more car for $22K........(that particular car has accident history....I was mainly showing as an option to consider. That dealer has 7 of them in stock)

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Only Golf I'd buy is a TDI. And, well... they don't really sell them there lying cheats no more.

What about trying to snag a Hyundai Genesis R-Spec. Ex-boss had one of those and it was far more interesting that I anticipated.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Another vote for Taurus SHO....

OP
OP

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
I actually considered the Kia Stinger GT, but I need to see one in person. Taurus never did much for me. A used CTS-V isn't a bad option if I can find the right one, always rather liked those.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I was almost going to get the Charger Scat Pack , but my wife told me to get the Mustang and I didn't need 4 doors ;)

I was driving a Mazdaspeed3 before the Mustang and the Golf R tempted me as well.

So both good choices IMHO .

Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
For 45K you can pick up a used CTS-V that will look better, perform better and isn't a Dodge.
Except it's a POS Cadillac, will be used and abused most likely, out of warranty and overpriced for a cheap cramped interior. If you want to suggest the used route, go G8 GT with LSA supercharger, at least you will save $20k+ from the V and you have money to fix the shit the previous owner may have fucked up.

OP I made the same decision earlier this year and went with the Scat Pack and have no regrets whatsoever. There are a bunch of members on here that have moved over to a Charger scat pack for various reasons. I did briefly look at the R, and loved it, but ultimately knew I wouldn't be happy if I didn't have a V8.

For me I needed a sedan and it required a V8. SS was too much money and I couldn't bring myself to own another GM after my previous experiences. It drove well with the magnetic ride and the LS3 is a stout engine.

I don't think you can beat the Charger for the value.

This could have been so much easier if Ford brought the Falcon here with the 5.0..

OP
OP

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
I know I'm going to have a hard time letting go of a V8 if I get the Golf R. I know the Golf is fast, and can easily be made much much faster, but it'll never sound as good or feel the same. And the charger Scat is such a good looking car.

The Golf R looks boring but handles great, can be made stupid fast, and a really nice interior if a bit on the small side.

It's nice to have so many nice options these days. I remember when your choices for these types of cars were usually ok, bad, and worse!

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Except it's a POS Cadillac, will be used and abused most likely, out of warranty and overpriced for a cheap cramped interior. If you want to suggest the used route, go G8 GT with LSA supercharger, at least you will save $20k+ from the V and you have money to fix the shit the previous owner may have fucked up.

OP I made the same decision earlier this year and went with the Scat Pack and have no regrets whatsoever. There are a bunch of members on here that have moved over to a Charger scat pack for various reasons. I did briefly look at the R, and loved it, but ultimately knew I wouldn't be happy if I didn't have a V8.

For me I needed a sedan and it required a V8. SS was too much money and I couldn't bring myself to own another GM after my previous experiences. It drove well with the magnetic ride and the LS3 is a stout engine.

I don't think you can beat the Charger for the value.

This could have been so much easier if Ford brought the Falcon here with the 5.0..
While the G8 GT is a nice car, why buy anything Pontiac since they went under? Goodluck finding one in decent shape that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. Apparently people want to overcharge for the G8s now that they are discontinued. Same story with the GTO. Parts availability and expense in the future too.

Hyundai Genesis Sedan
Chevy SS
Charger
Focus RS
Focus ST
(new) Camry v6
(new) Accord v6
Used Tesla?
Used Porsche Panamera
Volvo S60 T6(turbo and supercharged)

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Another vote for Taurus SHO....
We have a new Taurus and I'd never recommend it to anyone I know. A couple family members have asked and we had to warn them away. The headlights are dangerously dim. Seriously you can't even tell that they are on at night. The wipers are so slow it's not even funny. There's a LOT of formal complaints out about the taurus/fusion wipers being far too slow and causing people to not be able to drive in even moderate rain/getting into accidents. I've had to pull over a few times in it in some rain that no car should ever need to pull over for...and that's from someone who loves driving in the rain!

Front cockpit is cramped. Even the girl says she loves how much space the mustang has in the front of the car compared to hers (that says alot). The front drivers foot well curves in at a ridiculously fast and sharp rate leaving no real space to rest your left foot. This is the deal breaker for me. My leg and foot cramps up so bad driving the car because there is no where to place my foot.

The only good sides I see are, it has plenty of power for a 4 door. Also it has a MASSIVE trunk. Seriously, they could have cut it in half to give the interior more space and it would have still been plenty enough space within the trunk.

___

To be quite honest...I'd definitely be looking at a charger if I was in the need of a 4 door. ONLY thing that kept us out of one this time was the lack of a manual option. I think dodge did a great job with the this generation of performance vehicles, especially the charger as a 4 door!

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Scatpack charger cold start

:)
Sponsored