Sponsored

Trading in my 16 Ecoboost for a 17 GT PP, is this a good idea?

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
[MENTION=17800]AR306[/MENTION] I think you are just trying to live vicariously through the OP. You should be persuading him to stay away from the dark side ;)

Lets be real people there is not much good logical reason to recommend spending money on the GT. The EB is a great car.

If the OP has plenty of money and wants to spend it on a GT then he should definitely do it as the emotional reasons for buying one are infinite.

Personally I couldn't imagine upgrading cars every 2-3 years and plan on having my Ecoboost for 5 at least. If you just want to learn manual be patient and look for a <2k craigslist beater. Then when you are looking for another new car you will be better prepared for whatever manual you want.

The OP currently owns a car that I am sure gets him lots of compliments as I know I get far more random ones than I ever imagined. Instead of spending the money on something that will only cost him more money in the long run, whether it be gas, insurance, or just speeding tickets, I would recomend spending money to make the car you currently own more personally yours. Then you should enjoy it more.
Sponsored

FlyinHawaiian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Ruby Red
I did exactly this. i went on April 25th, the dealer offered me above good value, and above pay-off for my beat up EB, and got me into a 17 GT premium with a couple of essential options for ford A-plan pricing. The deal was so good I couldn't pass up (and the 5.0 definitely helped).

I had no problems with my EB - I ran it hard and put on 26K miles in 1.5 years (did a lot of highway driving, the motor was running a tune since like day 1). It never skipped a beat. The EB is a good motor, but the V8 Coyote is an amazing motor. In my opinion, it is essential to the Mustang experience. I am so happy and not looking back.

If the pricing is right, I'd do it.
same experience, i second this. also its a great time to trade for a '17 as youre getting a brand new car with all the buying power since the '18s are coming in

FlyinHawaiian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Ruby Red
I don't understand why people make these threads. What is everyone on this forum going to say? Go buy a Camaro? Get a V6? I think you already know the answer to your question and just want somebody else to give you confirmation of that.

Does it make financial sense? No, it's a fools move

Is the GT faster? Yes

Does the Eco handle better with a more even weight distribution? Yes

Should you learn Manual on a brand new car? Personally, I'd say no. But if you can afford a clutch, then heck, why not.
quit being salty, the GT is definitely not a fools financial move for the peace of mind for your engine. myself and many others were spending more money modding the ecoboost (now this is a fools move). mileage is roughly the same as well, insurance shouldn't be a huge factor if you shop around for insurance companies.

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
Do you like the GT better? Can you financially absorb the hit? Then yes. I loved my EBM, but I love my GT more, and I could afford the swap, so... *shrug* I did.

That being said, the EBM is a great car, and has a great aftermarket, too, so I think you can't go wrong either way. I've never owned a V8, so I wanted to experience that, and I'm glad I did. I wouldn't fault anyone for going either way, though. I still follow the aftermarket on the EBM, and think it's awesome what's being done with that platform.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Financially it's a terrible idea, but if the huge hit doesn't affect you that much then go for it.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Its just money. You have the rest of your life to make more. I have over 40 grand invested in a car. I can't even legally drive on the street. You only get one go around in life. Do it in style!

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

quit being salty, the GT is definitely not a fools financial move for the peace of mind for your engine. myself and many others were spending more money modding the ecoboost (now this is a fools move). mileage is roughly the same as well, insurance shouldn't be a huge factor if you shop around for insurance companies.
Are you stupid, simple, or slow? How is trading from an Eco to a GT not a bad financial move? Please enlighten me since you must have all the answers your majesty.

Going from a car loan to an even bigger car loan. How is that financially wise? Go ahead, explain. I'm waiting...

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Insurance is the only reason I have an EB instead of a GT..

quote on a GT premium: $430 a month.. (that's paying 6 for months)

EB current premium: $270 a month.. (again paying 6 months)

When I first got my EB I was paying $215 a month for insurance.. in 18 months it's gone up twice for no apparent reason.. And yes, I did shop around.. the insurer I have now is the absolute least expensive one I could find.. I have 1,000 deductibles and the shittiest bottom of the barrel coverage required by the lien holder.. Lol.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Insurance is the only reason I have an EB instead of a GT..

quote on a GT premium: $430 a month.. (that's paying 6 for months)

EB current premium: $270 a month.. (again paying 6 months)

When I first got my EB I was paying $215 a month for insurance.. in 18 months it's gone up twice for no apparent reason.. And yes, I did shop around.. the insurer I have now is the absolute least expensive one I could find.. I have 1,000 deductibles and the shittiest bottom of the barrel coverage required by the lien holder.. Lol.
Holy crap, what's your driving record, or do you live in a high-crime area? This had my Mustang buying plans momentarily in jeporady, but just got a quote, just over $300/6 months.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Holy crap, what's your driving record, or do you live in a high-crime area? This had my Mustang buying plans momentarily in jeporady, but just got a quote, just over $300/6 months.
I'm guessing it's due to his age. My friend pay $220/mo full coverage for a 2013 Civic and she's 20.

Sponsored

FlyinHawaiian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Ruby Red
Are you stupid, simple, or slow? How is trading from an Eco to a GT not a bad financial move? Please enlighten me since you must have all the answers your majesty.

Going from a car loan to an even bigger car loan. How is that financially wise? Go ahead, explain. I'm waiting...
It varies by financial situation... sounds like you're one trade away from being upside down on your butt. Sorry you can't handle your own like the rest of us and put down a reasonable down payment. There is no wisdom in car buying, but to drop thousands of dollars on upgrades to even try to be in the same league as a GT is a fools dream. You're a fine example, and i hope your Ecoboost takes a shit on you LOL. Now, regarding insurance, luckily I'm paying for my share under my family's coverage so I'm able to get a much lower premium.

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
Probably something similar lol. It just genuinely worries me when someone who has never really driven a manual decides to start with a gt. The torque rush you get at around 4500 is insane.

I'm not saying he shouldn't do it, he totally should but he needs to take his time and learn about the different rpm feels and also how slippery the pp perellis can be.
Eh, I disagree with that. I learned on my GT and had no issues. Has enough torque that it doesn't stall too easy and has hill start assist.

This engine is farely weak below 4,000 RPM....just don't rev it out, until you get better. Even then, at least with 3.31 gears, it's hard to break the tires loose.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Its just money. You have the rest of your life to make more. I have over 40 grand invested in a car. I can't even legally drive on the street. You only get one go around in life. Do it in style!
giphy.gif

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Oh great this has turned into another EB vs GT fight. Bottom line is everyone just buys what they want/can afford and has their own reasons. If we all stop to think about it it's no different than people that buy the IPhone7 instead of the IPhone7+.
[MENTION=18995]FlyinHawaiian[/MENTION] I think you either misunderstood [MENTION=27452]Ebm[/MENTION] or have a poor grasp of financial or just got angry due to the high level of aggression in EBMs comment. Disregarding loan size the bottom line is that when opting for a GT over an ecoboost, from a financial POV, you are simply throwing more money at what is the single most heavily depreciating asset for most people in the world. Aka losing more money is bad mmmmkay? ;) The best financial move for all of us would have been to go with a base Honda Civic or whatever the cheapest Kia you can get now-a-days. But clearly no one on here has done that. :)

Also I don't think most people who get ecoboosts and work to make them faster are trying to achieve GT levels of performance. I like to think most people understand that the EB has literally less than half the engine of a GT so tit-for-tat it isn't physically possible. BUT the GT does make for a simply convenient benchmark as most of the rest of the car is the same.
Sponsored