Sponsored

Trading in my 16 Ecoboost for a 17 GT PP, is this a good idea?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
You want a good financial decision...buy a nissan sentra.for >16k...
Yep or a Versa for 11.9 and then drive it til it falls apart. You can probably get 200k out of one before any real problems crop up. I'll stick to spending my money on irresponsible stuff.
Sponsored

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
I don't know, for me personally going upside-down on a loan to trade in for another new car is a big ol' HELL NO! But, maybe OP and some of you others who have done this make more money than I do. I just know with myself, with what I got now it's do-able to make my payments, and I have to be smart with the rest of my money to make it happen, and I can still slap a decent amount towards credit cards or at my savings account by the end of the month. But if I went upside down and increased the size of my loan any more than it is I'd be screwing myself.

You'll definitely make the dealership happy to give you a new loan though haha. I was just over at mine a few weeks back doing my oil and to pass the time I was wandering around the showroom. Of course the vultures swarmed me while I was admiring a Grabber Blue GT and even after I told them I'm just pissing about waiting for an oil change to get done on my '16 GT they did their damnedest to talk me in to trading it out for a Grabber Blue LOL.

I'd say in the end though, it's your money. Does it make financial sense? Hell no, I'm going to have to agree with everyone that is saying financially it's a dumb move. But, at the same time everyone who pointed out how much money we throw at our cars in mods also doesn't make financial sense, but it sure is fun. Hell, we're car guys and this is our hobby. In our shoes vehicles are more than just something to get us from point A to B. And hobbies rarely make financial sense, they're hobbies! So in the end my only real advice is do the leg work, price it out, take your EB in and talk to someone at a dealership to see what they'd give you for it and how much on your loan is left to get tacked on to the new one. See what potential payments would be, what insurance would be, and just see what you see lol. If you think it's worth it, then pull the trigger. If not, don't.

If I were in your shoes and dead set on doing this though, I would be very tempted to hold off for the 2018 models. Because you'll have one of two factors going in your favor. Either all the nice changes of a 2018 and if you're going performance package then trust me, even just going from those god damn Pirellies to the Michelin PS4 is worth the wait. You'll have however much of a HP boost they're getting whether that is large or small. A better clutch. I'd hold off and wait for the '18. Plus it'll give you time to really consider this choice. You'll either get the cool '18 stuff or you'll be able to pick up a '17 for cheaper because the dealerships will want them gone to make room for the '18s.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
[MENTION=18995]FlyinHawaiian[/MENTION] I apologize for adding fuel to your fire. I was hoping you would see the part saying you were reacting to EBM's high level of aggression that was after the part where I questioned your intelligence. :) I do appreciate the mention thought it made me feel special to see someone on here was talking specifically to me.

I think we all need to just agree that the Ecoboost is a great entry to the mustang especially for anyone that has never had a 300+ hp car before. It also is a bit more budget friendly. Yes we EB owners will also envy the GT in some way but that is the same as how GT owners envy the GT350 and GT350 owners envy Ford GT owners. Bottom line is if someone has the money to upgrade to a GT in a manner that isn't going to bankrupt them (personally a believer in the 3 month savings rule) then I don't see a reason not to.
Sponsored