Traded my new 17 Mustang GT for a new 17 Mustang GT

Chaos_Agent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Premium GT
Traded my 17 Ingot Silver GT (Base) for a new 17 Ruby Red GT (Premium). The silver GT had 4500 miles. I simply was not happy with the silver GT. "OK" is the word that pops up to describe it. I bought the silver GT on March 1st. It rarely put that grin on my face that I still had with my 2006 GT when I traded it.

The new GT is manual 6speed. The silver GT was auto. I've always had manual transmissions in my cars including the 2006 GT I traded for the silver GT. I talked myself into going auto, I'm not getting any younger. And after all there's the paddle shifters should I have the itch to control the shifting. The paddle shifters were useless for me. Sure you control but it's not the same. You may love them, I did not. The manual 6 speed in the new GT is what I should have bought to begin with.

The new GT seems better in many ways that are hard to explain.

I never really felt the 400+ hp with the auto trans. Seemed to hesitate a split second before engaging from a stand still. Not true of the manual, but of course I control that since I'm doing the shifting. Felt like the auto was tight. Maybe it need some break in.

Also, the premium interior seems tighter, more solid. No arm rest squeak and haven't noticed any significant dash rattles or wind noise.

The exhaust on the new GT sounds great. I barely noticed it in the silver GT. How can that be? SHouldn't they sound the same? Who knows, I may decide I want a more aggressive sound at some point in the future, but right now, it sounds just fine and I'm not planning on changing it.

I looked up the delivery to dealer date of the silver GT, and it was last summer, summer 2016. So it had to be an early 2017 build. Maybe that explains the difference in how it felt compared to the new GT. I know it's subjective, but the silver GT really didn't feel anything near how the new GT feels.

I promised myself I would get a premium, but wanted to save $$ when I bought the silver base GT. Ugh, I should have just got the GT I wanted to begin with and would have saved myself a lot of time and $$'s.

I love the premium leather and entertainment. And we're in the middle of the usual Oklahoma summer heat wave. The seat AC is coming in handy.

I may change the wheels and will definitely put in a CAI and tune at some point in the future. But for now, I get that grin when I start up the new GT that I never got with the silver one.

The new GT has some body alignment issues. Side note: I looked over the dozen or so Mustangs on the dealer lot. I would say 9 had some body alignment issue. The new GT hood is not centered between the front body panels. On the driver side it is tight with the body panel where the hood sits over the light. I don't think it rubs but I haven't opened the hood. The bumper, where it meets the front fenders over the wheel well is not fully flush, attached, with the body panel. On both driver and passenger sides of the car.

The car will definitely go back to the dealer to get these issues fixed.

I'm interested in any comments on how the two cars, same build year, could feel so different? i've got comments from passengers that the new car is a better car. It's more than just me getting the car I wanted in the first place. There -- is -- a difference with the new GT being a better car. At least so far in the week I've had it.
IMG_3779.jpg
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Someone I know ended up having their true 50th anniversary totaled. Literally got another one with the same features, same color and she said it drives differently and she misses the old one. Odd, huh...

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
Grats man, glad you're happy.
Ps I love those wheels. I know they are just upgrades but ... Maybe one day LOL

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
Not sure where people are coming from when they say things like, "I didn't fee the 400 HP in the Auto but I did in the Manual". I drove both before purchasing and the auto is NOTICABLY faster, especially in a straight line.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
Trannies are a very personal thing. I don't feel connected to a performance car that has an auto, even though the auto is a bit quicker. I like going through curves and having to think about when to shift, brake, and accelerate. It makes me feel like I'm driving the car, not just pointing it. Paddle shifters help, but it just isn't the same. I can see buying an auto as a DD in an urban jungle, but for a weekend plaything, I'll take a stick.

Color is a big deal to me, so having your favorite color is a big plus. When I was looking on the lot, the dealer had one of each color except Race Red arranged in a star pattern in a special display area. Of course, RR is the color I wanted to see. It just so happens that a few days later I saw a RR near my house, so I was hooked.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
I've driven both auto and maunals and I love manuals. I've had 6 mustangs and this is my first auto. But once your not afraid to put that auto to the floor it wakes up! I drive alot for work and the auto is just nice. if you wanna have fun put it in S mode and put that peddle to the floor. Normal D is laggy and slushy. The one thing I miss the most about an manual... it's silly but.... I use to love to engage the clutch under bridges to rev the engine. in an auto it's not the same, lol.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Do you think you pulled up close enough to the curb?

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Not sure where people are coming from when they say things like, "I didn't fee the 400 HP in the Auto but I did in the Manual". I drove both before purchasing and the auto is NOTICABLY faster, especially in a straight line.
No need to get upset... He wasn't bad mouthing your auto. Nothing like feeling those few hundred millaseconds of extra fastness.

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
I traded a seven month old 2014 GT Premium with an automatic for a 2015 Premium GT with a manual...3.15 gears in the auto vs. 3.55 was a big part of the new car feeling faster, plus the manual is a different experience...

Sponsored

Grey16gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 magnetic Mustang GT premium non performance p
I perfectly agree in stock form my 16 Auto feels spongy SLOW wouldn't even turn the tires and it's supposed to be a 435 horsepower car I'm expecting a lot out of it in the future with a lot of upgrades so I could definitely see how the standard feels a lot more Snappy and aggressive.

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Trannies are a very personal thing.
Did you just assume my gender?

Lol well put though, and to the OP I'd have to say whatever changes your feeling are more than likely legitimate being that one was basically a 2016 and one is obviously newer. Not sure how or what, but I could see that having an impact. Probably half that and half just getting the car you actually wanted, plus stick shift.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
No need to get upset... He wasn't bad mouthing your auto. Nothing like feeling those few hundred millaseconds of extra fastness.
Hah! Bragging rights at Starbucks is priceless though...:thumbsup:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I traded a seven month old 2014 GT Premium with an automatic for a 2015 Premium GT with a manual...3.15 gears in the auto vs. 3.55 was a big part of the new car feeling faster, plus the manual is a different experience...
I would have to agree. Driving auto and manual are different. Who woulda thunk?:shrug:

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
The 3.15 in the auto is steeper than the 3.55 in the manual due to the 1st gear ratio, so I think you got it backwards...:cheers:
Sponsored