Sponsored

Trade your Stang for a C7 Corvette??

Cookiemonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 M6 GT
So many here are blind fandbois, I'd say moreso than the Vette forums.

You guys are borderline BMW forum in terms of denial of other cars' potential and god-forbid actually besting your car at the track...
Sponsored

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
I can respect that. However, if you want to put it out of your mind, go test drive one. They are TIGHT on the inside. Not sure of your size, but I'm 6'7" about 360. It isn't happening.
I mean... at that size isnt every car tight?

Cookiemonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 M6 GT
I can respect that. However, if you want to put it out of your mind, go test drive one. They are TIGHT on the inside. Not sure of your size, but I'm 6'7" about 360. It isn't happening.
6' 7" stating an vehicular interior is 'tight' is like The Mountain saying picking up a 400lb object is 'lightweight'.

You're 99.952 percentile of the entire US population for tallness my guy. No offense to you, but going by your word for the majority on interior space...that ain't it chief. If you're talking weight, once again, you're in the 99th percentile of the population w/ the average adult male weighing just under 200 lbs.

I'm 6'3 220 and it fits me fine, and I'm only in the 97.4 percentile of height, 73 percentile for weight.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Depends on the Mustang model.
Trade a GT for a c7? If I will never have use for a back seat, sure. Why not? Unless I’m into modding the Mustang. Then I’ll keep the Mustang and outperform the vette. Even if you mod the vette, the Mustang engine holds up to boost much better.

trade a 350? Tough call. Trade a 350R? No.
Trade a 500? Laughable.

so depends on the car and what you’re looking for.

in some cases, you can’t really quantify what you want or exactly why. You just gravitate toward one over the other. Go for it. Enjoy what you you want.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In short, no. Not because the C7 isn’t a great vehicle and a great platform, because it is.

I don’t foresee myself being in a position I could daily a Vette and not hate the experience. I already come close to that at time with my GT and having had two Jeeps and a Focus ST (hatch) I don’t think I can go any smaller space wise.

The only people that will fit in the back of my GT are hopefully my future kids, my nephews/niece or any little people I may meet in the future. Lol.

The plus with the S550 is good trunk space. But the Vette would be too daily unfriendly.

If it was only a weekend car, I still wouldn’t. I just prefer Ford and the styling of the S550 is unbeatable. I rather build the underdog to take out the champ.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Yeah it's basically a miata with a v8 and cheaper interior...

I'd hold out for the C8. All the previous iterations are basically the same car with minor tweaks around the edges.

I really dont get why people like these cars so much or act like they're the best thing since slice bread. They do sound good though...

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
In short, no. Not because the C7 isn’t a great vehicle and a great platform, because it is.

I don’t foresee myself being in a position I could daily a Vette and not hate the experience. I already come close to that at time with my GT and having had two Jeeps and a Focus ST (hatch) I don’t think I can go any smaller space wise.

The only people that will fit in the back of my GT are hopefully my future kids, my nephews/niece or any little people I may meet in the future. Lol.

The plus with the S550 is good trunk space. But the Vette would be too daily unfriendly.

If it was only a weekend car, I still wouldn’t. I just prefer Ford and the styling of the S550 is unbeatable. I rather build the underdog to take out the champ.
Corvettes have a massive trunk thats the one thing GM got right that ford should have copied with the s550. The s550 should have been a hatchback.

And u are right though a corvette is NOT a daily driver. Those cars are NOT designed to stay outside in direct sunlight and doing that to them causes the roof to develop cracks. It also causes the headlights to yellow which is a 3000.00 repair bill...

It really is a weekend only, garage only car.

The s550 all the way up to the gt500 are designed to be a car you can use everyday and drive in any scenario. 20hr road trip to 2 day track weekend, or sit outside and wait for 8hrs it's ready.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
6' 7" stating an vehicular interior is 'tight' is like The Mountain saying picking up a 400lb object is 'lightweight'.

You're 99.952 percentile of the entire US population for tallness my guy. No offense to you, but going by your word for the majority on interior space...that ain't it chief. If you're talking weight, once again, you're in the 99th percentile of the population w/ the average adult male weighing just under 200 lbs.

I'm 6'3 220 and it fits me fine, and I'm only in the 97.4 percentile of height, 73 percentile for weight.
Quoted because I laughed out loud. In a good way. And I appreciate it.

I know I am an outlier but I can only speak from my own experience. Glad you fit better.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've mostly been a Mustang owner but right now I own a C5 Z06. I owned my 2016 GT350 for 3 1/2 years and loved it, but I wanted to try something different. I have a 1986 Porsche 944 and the chassis on that car is AWESOME. I really love the way it feels, but it's too short on power. I realize I could do a V8 swap into the 944, but that's a lot of time and money for a car that insurance won't properly cover once I'm done with it. So this past spring I drove a few Corvettes, thinking that they would have a chassis and weight balance more like the 944, but with V8 power.

I looked hard at C7 'vettes and drove a few. The things I don't like - the removable top doesn't seem very safe for a car I want to take on track. I also saw reviews where the top makes rattling noises as the car gets miles on it. The other thing - the cabin is too tight for me. I'm 6' 4", but not especially long waisted, so I think many people will have trouble with head room. I don't think I could get a helmet on and fit. It's funny because the 944 is absolutely tiny, but I fit great in there. Plenty of interior room. Too bad that GM didn't make the Corvette to accommodate more people.

If you are a smaller guy the cabin might not be an issue. I also didn't love the dash on the C7. A little too much video game feeling for me with all the display screens so close to your face. Also, the C7 is significantly heavier than the older 'vettes, so some of the feel of a car with really light weight is missing in the C7. It depends on what you are looking for. I didn't get crazy enough on my C7 test drives to find this out, but my C5 has a really great feel as the rear tires start to break loose under power. Very controllable, linear and progressive as you start to lose traction. The superior weight balance and better chassis of the Corvette, along with a low ride height all help to control body motion much better with less suspension stiffness compared to newer Mustangs.

My C5 has more interior room than a C7, and I like quite a few things about it, but after driving it daily for a few months I figured out that I actually prefer my Fiesta ST over the Z06. A couple more things about the Z06 - the pushrod engine sucks on track compared to a Ford overhead cam V8. The pushrod can be fun on the street because it hits hard immediately when you step on it, whereas the Ford has to wind up to make power. And the 'vette can feel unsafe in traffic on the highway due to how close the driver is to the back of the car.

And of course a C7 will be faster than a Mustang (depending on model and options), but we aren't pro race car drivers making our living based on lap times. I figured out that I'm a bit more of an engine guy than a chassis guy. The C5 Z06 does have a great chassis and I think it's really suited to autocross or smaller road courses. It's definitely a lot of fun to drive on a curvy road.

If you are looking for a C7 as an extra car for cruising and you want the exclusivity - I think it could be a good choice for you. The Z51 package gives you most of what you need for light track driving if you want that. C7 Grand Sport owners have had trouble with the wheels failing on track, so if you are potentially going to use a C7 GS seriously on track - figure you might have to buy an aftermarket set of rims. Based on the reviews I have seen, I would stay away from the C7 Z06 for serious track use.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
C7 is still on my radar. I want a factory supercharged v8 with a manual transmission and a back seat. It looks like my next car I'm going to have to settle for 2 out of 3!

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I sold my Porsche 911 cabriolet and bought my A10 GT, because I did not like the potential repair bills. There was nothing wrong with the car, but the idea of $20k - $60k in repairs for a PDK glitch or bore scoring were more than I could deal with, no matter how unlikely. My GT is a great car. But, I miss the size of the Porsche and the Mustang is a big, heavy car... lots bigger than my BMW. So, a C7 or C8 is a definite possibility along with a Jaguar F-Type.

OP
OP
10SpeedDemon

10SpeedDemon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Dre
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I sold my Porsche 911 cabriolet and bought my A10 GT, because I did not like the potential repair bills. There was nothing wrong with the car, but the idea of $20k - $60k in repairs for a PDK glitch or bore scoring were more than I could deal with, no matter how unlikely. My GT is a great car. But, I miss the size of the Porsche and the Mustang is a big, heavy car... lots bigger than my BMW. So, a C7 or C8 is a definite possibility along with a Jaguar F-Type.
Is the maintenance for a 911 similar to a exotic car like a Lamborghini, R8 or GTR? I’m looking to get something in that ballpark in the next 3 years

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
I have owned 3 vettes (C6 and 2 C7 Z51). Amazing cars and I DD all 3 of them and had no issues with comfort but Im just 5'8 190 lbs. IMO the interior of the C7 is way better than the Stang, I had a 2LT. Even my wife says the interior in the Stang is not up to the C7. All 3 cars gave me no more issues than any other car and my roofs never cracked from the sun. Lived in TX so got the sun. Had to trade the vette in as I moved to Hawaii and its very expensive to live here so need to lower payments but still wanted V8. When I get back to mainland I will get a C8. I like the Stang and I got all the creature comfort stuff but not the level of the vette. Stang seats are a bit more comfy though. Vette is an easy DD IMO.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Is the maintenance for a 911 similar to a exotic car like a Lamborghini, R8 or GTR? I’m looking to get something in that ballpark in the next 3 years
Overall, it's lower and Porsches are very reliable. If you can afford a 997.2 turbo, 991.2, or 992 you are golden. The issues are with the 997 and 991.1 models. The cylinder liners are an alloy that breaks down and can result in bore scoring, which costs around $30k or more to fix. The other issue is the PDK transmission. Excess heat causes electronic failures and the PDK can not be repaired. There have been PDKs replaced for a faulty wire crimp or reverse switch that activates backup lights and camera. It costs $14k plus installation to replace. The PDK has been improved in the more recent models. The engine has iron cylinder liners in all turbos and all models beginning with the 991.2 in 2017.

The failure rate is very low, but Porsche has never built an engine with good long term reliability. All of the air cooled engines required top-end rebuilds around 60k - 80k miles and the first water cooled engines have IMS gearing and bore scoring issues bad enough to warrant a class action suit. There aren't enough high mileage 997.2 models to say if they are good or bad, but some bore scoring is beginning to show up. You can't get an extended warranty on the older 997.2 models over 50K miles. I will repeat, the failure rate is very low for these problems with the 997.2 model, so far. For me, I just could not face my wife and tell her that the car she didn't want me to buy and that she hates, needs a $30K engine rebuild, regardless of how unlikely that was. She loves the Mustang. That's good enough for me. I can buy a Vette with the money I would have to set aside for Porsche repairs.