Sponsored

Trade Mach “up” to a GT350 or keep it and modify?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Doesn't the 500 have the 15-17 lights also?
Sponsored

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
It's a lateral move, and not an "upgrade". I prefer the M1 HP low-end torque, sound and reliability compared to the GT350R.

Threads like this one always bring up the two sides of the GT350 fanbase. The genuine fans, and the investors (auto groups, and sole investors). 🍿

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I've owned a '16 350, '17 350r and now a '22 500. If I were to go buy a mustang now, it would be a mach 1. If Ford would have built a 5.2l cpc with 350/500 heads, there would be no reason to own the 350 in my book. It's lethargic around town and is a buzz box from 7k rpm to redline. My .02.

Sponsored

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
When I had the Porsche heard nothing but doom and gloom about the IMS bearing, I never had an issue, no one I knew in the car club had an issue, but it was sensationalized to the moon. I have NO regrets that I had the car
I had a 996 C4, should have never sold her, put 173k miles on her. Never had a issue either. While a major bummer for those unfortunate who did have issues loved that car even with the headlights.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I've owned a '16 350, '17 350r and now a '22 500. If I were to go buy a mustang now, it would be a mach 1. If Ford would have built a 5.2l cpc with 350/500 heads, there would be no reason to own the 350 in my book. It's lethargic around town and is a buzz box from 7k rpm to redline. My .02.
This is going to hurt some 350 owners. :giggle:

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
They did, it's the A52XS crate engine, 580 hp N/A

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS

Last edited:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate your thoughts... most of it is true...
Ford put a lot of thought into the Mustang from the Eco, GT, 350, Mach I , and finally the 500. Each was designed to with a different experience in mind.
I don't understand why guys buy a certain car without first understanding what it can and cannot do. They often try to make it into something it is not. I've seen GT350 owners install super chargers and tunes (which can cause all sorts of problems unrelated to the voodoo reliability rant) because "it's lethargic" around town and not a drag strip car. While others take a GT and try to mod the hell out of the suspension attempting to make it a track focused car like the 350 and still wind up with cooling issues.
The GT350 lives and breathes above 4k and is designed to be a track focused car, not a smoothly luxury Grand Touring vehicle that never buzzes or rattles. The FPC engine has vibration, it's not going to be smooth. It wants to be going 80mph in 3rd gear around a tight road course while making all kinds of noises that you don't hear from any other car.
The M1 is a great car, so are all the other Mustangs.. why can't we just appreciate each for their individual merits.

Sponsored
OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10/23 Mach1 A10/23 Mach1 6MT/24 GT A10
Bold statement from an actual multiple owner who has no apparent axe to grind.

Might wanna look out your peephole before answering your door late at night!

Edit: Would you mind elaborating on your comment a bit? Thanks.

Last edited:

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
They did, it's the A52XS crate engine, 580 hp N/A

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS
Unfortunately they never offered it in a street legal car. But its proof that the power the voodoo makes has nothing to do with the orientation of its crank pins.

I appreciate your thoughts... most of it is true...
Ford put a lot of thought into the Mustang from the Eco, GT, 350, Mach I , and finally the 500. Each was designed to with a different experience in mind.
I don't understand why guys buy a certain car without first understanding what it can and cannot do. They often try to make it into something it is not. I've seen GT350 owners install super chargers and tunes (which can cause all sorts of problems unrelated to the voodoo reliability rant) because "it's lethargic" around town and not a drag strip car. While others take a GT and try to mod the hell out of the suspension attempting to make it a track focused car like the 350 and still wind up with cooling issues.
The GT350 lives and breathes above 4k and is designed to be a track focused car, not a smoothly luxury Grand Touring vehicle that never buzzes or rattles. The FPC engine has vibration, it's not going to be smooth. It wants to be going 80mph in 3rd gear around a tight road course while making all kinds of noises that you don't hear from any other car.
The M1 is a great car, so are all the other Mustangs.. why can't we just appreciate each for their individual merits.
We can, its just a topic for discussion for those who are interested. The fpc wasn't developed to introduce those vibrations and rattles. It's just a terrible byproduct of a fpc with large stroke. The fpc doesn't really bring anything to the table except good sound. The best parts are the heads, intake and extra displacement. Which is why Ford quickly ditched the fpc in favor of the cpc in all of their raving vehicles after the issues they dealt with with the 350r-c. Then blamed abandoning the fpc crankshaft on reserving it for gt350 exclusivity, which was something someone in corporate marking must have thought up. In reality it was "the juice isn't worth the squeeze". Race cars need reliable power.
Bold statement from an actual multiple owner who has no apparent axe to grind.

Might wanna look out your peephole before answering your door late at night!

Edit: Would you mind elaborating on your comment a bit? Thanks.
Sure, the mach 1 offers the core components that make the 350 a great track car. It has adequate power, proper cooling and handles great, especially witj the handling package. It also feels better on the street than the 350 in terms of power imo, which is where 95% of 350's and Mach 1's spend their day's. Mach looks good (better in some ways, wheels, grille etc.). Will the Mach hold its value as well as a Shelby? Not likely. But people are weird when it comes to the Shelby name, they'll pay close to 100k or more for a gt with shelby badges and a Whipple because SA calls it a super snake.

If I'm wishing a car to life, I'd hope for a boss with a 5.2, cnc heads, gen 4 intake, port injection, good brakes, magneride with a option for dssv dampers and cup 2r's. Tr3160 or hopefully a "lighter" dct option. Rear seat delete and real track spec seats. 540hp 3750lbs.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
If I'm wishing a car to life, I'd hope for a boss with a 5.2, cnc heads, gen 4 intake, port injection, good brakes, magneride with a option for dssv dampers and cup 2r's. Tr3160 or hopefully a "lighter" dct option. Rear seat delete and real track spec seats. 540hp 3750lbs.
This is what the dark horse should've been...leave the 5.0 to the GT trims, and have what you described as the halo as a base, then a more track focused spec off that base.

Inflation and all things considered, the above, even with the track spec should be under 75K. It's going to be disappointing when they (most likely) just give us a 95K starting, supercharged or twin turbo halo car, with nothing in between that and the dark horse horse.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Unfortunately they never offered it in a street legal car. But its proof that the power the voodoo makes has nothing to do with the orientation of its crank pins.

We can, its just a topic for discussion for those who are interested. The fpc wasn't developed to introduce those vibrations and rattles. It's just a terrible byproduct of a fpc with large stroke. The fpc doesn't really bring anything to the table except good sound. The best parts are the heads, intake and extra displacement. Which is why Ford quickly ditched the fpc in favor of the cpc in all of their raving vehicles after the issues they dealt with with the 350r-c. Then blamed abandoning the fpc crankshaft on reserving it for gt350 exclusivity, which was something someone in corporate marking must have thought up. In reality it was "the juice isn't worth the squeeze". Race cars need reliable power.

Sure, the mach 1 offers the core components that make the 350 a great track car. It has adequate power, proper cooling and handles great, especially witj the handling package. It also feels better on the street than the 350 in terms of power imo, which is where 95% of 350's and Mach 1's spend their day's. Mach looks good (better in some ways, wheels, grille etc.). Will the Mach hold its value as well as a Shelby? Not likely. But people are weird when it comes to the Shelby name, they'll pay close to 100k or more for a gt with shelby badges and a Whipple because SA calls it a super snake.

I look at all of this from different perspective. The GT350/GT350R was conceived as a heritage vehicle to commemorate their entry into sports car racing, with emphasis on lightweight and hot-rodding approach to power. The flat plane crank setup they used gave the car unique sound and power delivery not found on any other street legal mustang. Carbon fiber wheels (like the magnesium wheels used in the 1960s version), and even the base GT350R made from 2016-2018 had most aggressive weight reduction and AC delete for a street legal mustang, for those owners that are 95%track/5%street usage.

the dream car you describe at the end of your post (with the 540 hp cpc 5.2L) is an awesome mustang for sure, but it’s no Shelby.

if you look at porsche’s playbook (the GT3. ; GT3RS), they do the same thing. Those porsche GT cars are lethargic on the street, and have lots of NVH and vibrations, but are appreciated by the same type of enthusiast, and they are true to the porsche GT cars from the 1960s