Sponsored

Trade in value vs waiting for car to get here...

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
  • Banned
Whats the standard operating procedure for this sort of thing? Lets say the dealer says my truck is worth X, is it normal to trade it in right there when i order or is it normal for them to "have to re-evaluate it" when my car comes in?

my concern is they try and lowball me once i get my car in sight knowing it'll be harder to walk away.
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
You are right, that will probably happen. And you don't know what used car prices are going to look like then either. My dealership wasn't going to take mine in on trade until I took delivery and I didn't want to settle for what they'd offer. I also feel like the used car pricing has reached it's peak and is coming down so I sold mine private party for the time being to take advantage of the market and bought a turd that has already depreciated fully to drive until my car arrives.

Stewert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT premium
A coworker of mine ordered a 2022 Raptor and waited 6 months for it to arrive. He was also was paying 10K over sticker. When he went to pick up his new truck, the dealer reneged on his original trade in amount and low balled him. He ended up walking away. I made sure I stayed away from this dealer when I shopped for my new Mustang.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I ordered my car last March and we agreed on a trade value of $32K, but it was based on me not really driving it till the new one came in (wasn't my daily). Then the used car market went nuts and Vroom gave me a offer of $38K so I called the sales manager and told him I was selling outright instead of trading. He said I want your car so if you do that the 2% under invoice deal on your order is off and you'll pay sticker instead. He said normally he wouldn't care but he had a chance to make a big profit on my trade. My order wasn't due to arrive for months so we agreed on $35K for him to buy it at that time rather than waiting for the order to come in. I lost a little money on sales tax because it couldn't be called a trade-in when I picked up the new car, but still came out ahead. So if you have another vehicle to drive till you order comes in, it might be a good idea to negotiate a trade now and see if you can get a little more out of them while used cars are still a hot commodity.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Lots of games being played with ordered vehicles arriving then surprise dealer markup being applied. Unless you have a contract in writing all bets are off.

Sponsored

Stewert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT premium
Lots of games being played with ordered vehicles arriving then surprise dealer markup being applied. Unless you have a contract in writing all bets are off.
Then these dealers should be prepared to lose some business.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
of course you might get less if the market value is less when the actual deal gets done. i would move it now while the market is good. later.

sirernestshackleton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Focust ST
I'm planning to do Carmax/Carvana/Vroom to avoid having a low offer on trade with no other option since I'm traveling out of state to pick it up. I know I could get more via private party, but just don't want to deal with people.

OP
OP
AvalancheSVT

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
  • Banned
I think in my case trading the truck in and waiting for the car to come in is the best way to go. I work from home, I never drive it, might as well get the clock going.

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
An important thing to remember is the sales tax advantage when trading. Let's say your trade is worth $30K....that's almost $2000 more in sales tax you'll have to pay if you don't trade.

I guess what I am saying is to make sure it's worth your while before selling outright to someone else. Well, providing your dealer honors a trade value.

Sponsored

sirernestshackleton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Focust ST
An important thing to remember is the sales tax advantage when trading. Let's say your trade is worth $30K....that's almost $2000 more in sales tax you'll have to pay if you don't trade.

I guess what I am saying is to make sure it's worth your while before selling outright to someone else. Well, providing your dealer honors a trade value.
Not in all states, unfortunately. I don't get it in Virginia.

OP
OP
AvalancheSVT

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
yeah so here's whats neat. I paid 26500 + TTL for my truck in 2016.

I intend to order my car and trade it in monday. Right now the deal on the table is 24K for trade in 2K off msrp so with tax savings its 27500 off the new GT... which is almost what I paid out the door for my truck 6 years ago :D
Sponsored