Sponsored

Traction control on or off when you're in Drag Strip mode?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Well, my new GT is now a few months old and has 1100 or so miles so I've run it up through the gears a few times. I drive the car exclusively in Sport+ mode; I just like the way the car feels, shifts (A10) and sounds in this mode. I'll get a little wheelspin from a full throttle start in Sport+ mode with the stock P-Zeros and 3.15s, and a little chirp when it shifts into second but nothing too major. Feels good though.

So, I thought I'd give Drag Strip mode a tryout and Holy Mother of Zeus! Even taking into account the psychological effects of the extra noise and bang shifting there was what I thought to be a big difference in acceleration. Large difference. Almost 7500 RPMs between shifts. Wheelspin all the way through first gear, she got a little squirrelly going into second and a pretty good chirp going into third. I did NOT have traction control disabled because honestly it didn't occur to me to do it.

Now I'm reading that traction control operates by mitigating the throttle when it detects wheelspin and presumably for max acceleration you should disable it before making a pull in Drag Mode. Seeing as how I was still getting a lot of spin in Drag Mode with TC on, I can't imagine how disabling it could help any-but I don't know. I'm capable of handling cars with plenty of wheelspin but I've always considered it to be counter productive to traction.

So could you folks help me understand this a little better? As I said, I'm bone stock, no PP, 3.15s and P-Zeros. Even though the car is stronger than dirt, I still want all that's there to be had.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I thought with drag mode TC was already off but advance track stays on.
Maybe someone will chime in.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think in Drag mode the TC is still active, but it's a bit more relaxed. Normally it would cut off the gas very abruptly at the very first sign of wheel spin, while in Drag I believe it will allow just a bit of wheel spin, to give you the best possible acceleration. The best acceleration is not at the traction limit, but a tiny bit over it, when the wheels slip just a little, but not too much.
Your experience seems to confirm this. Your wheels were allowed to slip, but not too much, and you went off like a rocket. With the TC off you would probably have just sat there spinning the wheels and fishtailing.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think in Drag mode the TC is still active, but it's a bit more relaxed. Normally it would cut off the gas very abruptly at the very first sign of wheel spin, while in Drag I believe it will allow just a bit of wheel spin, to give you the best possible acceleration. The best acceleration is not at the traction limit, but a tiny bit over it, when the wheels slip just a little, but not too much.
Your experience seems to confirm this. Your wheels were allowed to slip, but not too much, and you went off like a rocket. With the TC off you would probably have just sat there spinning the wheels and fishtailing.
This explanation seems to make the most sense to me and I really appreciate it. FWIW I have noticed that in Track mode the TC off warning light does come on, but it does not come on in Drag Strip mode. Also, I hear a lot about Advance Track but I can’t match that up to anything I have unless it’s Electronic Stability Control (ESC) referenced in the manual.

So I went out a little while ago thinking I try a little pull in Drag Strip mode both with and without TC on. First I tried it with TC on but given that the P Zeros were on 37 degree pavement and I had no death wish, I only gave it about 60-70% throttle. Unlike the first time at WOT with TC on, I did seem to get a little throttle mitigation between shifts. I quickly decided not to try it with TC off. Given the temp, at that point I abandoned the experiment pending warmer weather.

As I’ve said, I’m in no way afraid of this car but I do have the utmost respect for it‘s capabilities. Things start to happen pretty fast by the time it’s reaching the top of 3rd gear and at 70+ years my reflexes aren’t getting a lot better. Regardless, like most other guys I want all it has to give and then some.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I re-evaluated yesterday on a much nicer day. Found a stretch of deserted road that allowed me to run it all the way to the top of 3rd gear (with 3.15s). Used Drag Strip mode both with TC on and TC off. I could tell absolutely no difference in anything the car did either way. None.

So maybe I answered my own question, maybe not.

Sponsored

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Also theres been an issue with some of these when you put them into drag mode it turns the traction control fully on (mine has done it sometimes). Typically when I make a pass in drag mode I make sure the traction control is off but stabilitrac is still on. It lessens the amount of torque reduction.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also theres been an issue with some of these when you put them into drag mode it turns the traction control fully on (mine has done it sometimes). Typically when I make a pass in drag mode I make sure the traction control is off but stabilitrac is still on. It lessens the amount of torque reduction.
My concern is that I can’t figure out if drag mode is supposed to turn off TC or not in the first place. The TC “off” light doesn’t come on in drag mode like it does in track mode. I haven’t been able to get an answer out of Ford yet but sooner or later I will, even if I have to escalate it to the CEO.

Like you, I leave Electronic Stability Control on, and will continue unless and until I’m more comfortable with the car or I determine that it’s also detrimental to max acceleration.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My concern is that I can’t figure out if drag mode is supposed to turn off TC or not in the first place. The TC “off” light doesn’t come on in drag mode like it does in track mode. I haven’t been able to get an answer out of Ford yet but sooner or later I will, even if I have to escalate it to the CEO.

Like you, I leave Electronic Stability Control on, and will continue unless and until I’m more comfortable with the car or I determine that it’s also detrimental to max acceleration.
I personally have noticed a difference between drag mode without turning TC or ATC off, drag mode with TC off (1 toggle), and drag mode with ATC off (hold TC switch for 8 sec). Drag mode by default doesn't seem to disable TC features for me as the car will cut power under heavy traction loss. With only TC off, it will wheel hop a bit more but eventually cut power during extended traction loss. With ATC off in drag mode, it will spin until I let out of it. It will also get out of sorts in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. This is all on regular radial tires. On a good DR at the track, no traction issues to note in drag mode with ATC off.

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT

its supposed to turn TC off and leave stabilitrac on.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally have noticed a difference between drag mode without turning TC or ATC off, drag mode with TC off (1 toggle), and drag mode with ATC off (hold TC switch for 8 sec). Drag mode by default doesn't seem to disable TC features for me as the car will cut power under heavy traction loss. With only TC off, it will wheel hop a bit more but eventually cut power during extended traction loss. With ATC off in drag mode, it will spin until I let out of it. It will also get out of sorts in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. This is all on regular radial tires. On a good DR at the track, no traction issues to note in drag mode with ATC off.
Thanks, this is pretty much what I'm experiencing right down to the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

Sponsored
OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
its supposed to turn TC off and leave stabilitrac on.
You would think so, but it doesn't mention it in the manual and there's no visual confirmation with the lights on the dash.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Last edited:

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
You would think so, but it doesn't mention it in the manual and there's no visual confirmation with the lights on the dash.
mine cant make up its mind, but I have spoken with a ford tech. it needs an update from my understanding. its is supposed to turn the TC off, mine will do it occasionally where tc off light comes on but stab stays on. other times it leaves TC on, and it annoys me because you can tell the difference when you launch the car.
Sponsored